Data Logging and a Steeper Learning Curve

xcarguy

To borrow some of my own info from another thread, I've finally managed to finish butchering my first two (maybe the only two) short videos from Saturday’s HPDE at MSR Cresson using Traqmate ™ data overlay. This was my first time using the TM/Replay system and several issues were confronted (some, overcome) in creating the videos. I’ll list these in bullet points:

• To begin with, when the TM is powering the Replay cameras (I was using two cameras), and external mics are being used, there is unbearable noise interference picked up by the mics :bigear: ; this has been an ongoing issue with the Replay cables (TM is thinking bad batch) and is not a TM problem. TM is currently working on upgraded components (different cables and such) that will 'hopefully' resolve the problem. However, and FWIW, once the car is started, the noise actually decreases a bit.

• Secondly, Saturday morning started out with the TraqDash generating a blank screen when turned on (generating data, just no visual); turns out it was a temp-related calibration issue and has sense been resolved. Mist and rain didn’t help matters much.

• The Replay camera cables stopped working (inconveniently, that very morning :cuss: ) and would NOT power up the camera (new cable on the way). This issue left me with manually turning on the camera before each session which, in turn, tossed out the window any hope of TM video/overlay sync for that camera.

• Because of the external mic issue, I resorted to using the internal mics on both cameras (bad idea). I installed Replay wind breakers (what a joke) and a modified muff on each camera . . . . . both, a worthless pursuit at best; wind noise is horrible in the videos; my apologies. In hind sight, I should’ve gone with the lesser of two evils and used the external mics and endured the unwanted noise; I think the engine sound (under load) would have been enough to drown out most of the unwanted mic interference, or would have at least made it tolerable.

• As a result of spending the majority of Saturday morning trouble shooting the bad Relay camera cable issue, I left (inadvertently . . . honest) the wrong tire size programmed in the TraqDash, so, during the videos, the TM is constantly guessing as to which gear I’m actually in at X-rpm. The good news is that lap times and speeds are unaffected as the GPS doesn't give a rat's rear about what tire size I’m running.

• Finally, video editing was a bit of a challenge because of the lack of sync on my forward facing camera (yep, the one with the bad cable). One video is pretty close (watch the G meters) while the other video (Slow Tour) is slightly off (frankly, I was tired of messing with it and published as is :rant: ).

Hopefully, once I learn the basics of using the the TM, I'll start applying it for what it was actually designed for, to increase my driving skill. Anyway. :cheers:

Edited by xcarguy

Thought about doing a mic like this guy?

I've got the mic I need (Replay lavalier); just gotta get the unwanted noise issues worked out. The mic/camera combo works great (relatively speaking) when the camera and the TM aren't holding hands.

I'll work on coming in too hot, but you know how pilots are. :jester:

Now you have me looking at Traqmates...

It'll have to wait until next year... Like the light custom wheels I am also jealous of!

Stay the course. The wheels and TM were a one year wait for me. Getting my car on the track for the first time was a six year wait. :) Get the M-spec finished and then . . . . :cheers:

Not to alarm you, but a friend of mine was watching the video with me and he noticed the red light on your dash. Please, tell me that is not an oil pressure warning light!

Z,

Unfortunately, yes. It's the 20 psi low oil press light. FORTUNATELY, no engine damage. Keep in mind the light is illuminating at 20psi, not zero and is illuminated for brief periods. The only bottom end mod the engine received between my last session (last year) and Saturday's session was an Improved Racing crank scraper. For the track (road course), the crank scraper could possibly be more of a hindrance than a help; I truly don't know yet. The scraper is designed to literally 'scrape' the oil off of the crank as it rotates, thus helping to move the oil quicker to the pan to lessen oil starvation issues and, at the same time, reduce rotational mass (less oil on the crank equals less parasitic drag) resulting in a 'supposedly' additional 2-4rwhp.

Now, everything I just said about the crank scraper may very well be a moot point. I also have to take into account the tire change. The car definitely has more grip than did the smaller Avons I was running last year. And there's no disputing the car is now quicker and is pulling more g-force in the turns. If I can figure out how, I'll try and post a friction circle image from those two laps and post it here for criticism . . . ah . . . . . I mean analysis. :D

Manshoon11 mentioned my coming into the turns too hot and getting pushed wide a fair bit. Driving the car smoother and finding a different approach to negotiating turns (especially left-handers) might help.

There are other possibilities I'm considering. This is simply something else to work out . . . . But I'm trying real hard not to mention the words 'dry sump' . . . . . $$$. :jester:

Per another post on another thread topic a while back, using an Accusump is just as effective as a dry sump and costs about 1/2.

I had a low oil lite that came on occasionally in my previous 7. Then I replaced my engine(:.

Turned out to be a combo of braking AND turning, that shoved the oil over to one corner of my well baffled "track day" wet sump pan , and caused oil starvation. My current se7en has an Accusump.

6 quarts, for this Zetec engine. Raceline pan, closed loop oil recovery system (oil-air vapor goes from valve cover into a catch can w/drain back into the oil pan thru a 1 way check valve (per the builder). This was a 25 hour endurance racer so engine longevity was key.

Per another post on another thread topic a while back, using an Accusump is just as effective as a dry sump and costs about 1/2.

I had a low oil lite that came on occasionally in my previous 7. Then I replaced my engine(:.

Turned out to be a combo of braking AND turning, that shoved the oil over to one corner of my well baffled "track day" wet sump pan , and caused oil starvation. My current se7en has an Accusump.

Mike,

Thanks for chiming in. An Accusump is one of my considerations. Back in the early days of my Stalker madness, I installed an Accusump on #85, but sold the car to Sharkey and never got a chance to test/use it. I have to wonder if I've crossed the 'baffle' barrier with my current setup. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
What was your best recorded lap time?

. . . . Can you please answer the question in this thread for me?

http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?p=84000#post84000

Lives may be at stake.

:rofl:

Manshoon11,

Sorry for the delay. The short video I posted has my fastest lap time for the day; it's the second lap on the video. Just so happens that lap was also the last lap of the last session of the day.

I hope no lives were lost during this brief pause. :rolleyes:

Well, here is the answer (hopefully) to the low oil pressure issue. The baffle (and 1/2 qt of oil over full) worked great with the smaller slicks, but with the new wheel/tire combo, the baffle simply can't keep up. According to Improved Racing, the LS baffle is good up to about 1.2 G's. The Traqmate data (taken from five of the fastest laps for the last session of the day) recorded max lateral G loads of anywhere from 1.68 to 1.99. The short video supports the car having experienced sustained G loads in turns in excess of 1.2.

Parts List:

1. (1 each) from Jegs, Canton Accusump 3qt, part # 074-24-006

2. (2 each) from Jegs, NOS -4 AN 3’ Braided Hose, part # 741-15240

3. (1 each) from Jegs, Canton Accusump Mounting Clamps, part # 074-24-200

4. (1 each) from Jegs, Canton Accusump Electric Valve, part # 074-24-273

5. (1 each) local sourcing, Parker, 1/2” NPT Male to 1/2” NPT Male 90°

6. (1 each) from Jegs, Russell -10 AN Twist-Lok Hose 10’, part # 799-634220

7. (2 each) from Jegs, Earl’s 1/8” NPT Female to -4 AN Male Steel, part # 361-968704

8. (1 each) from Jegs, Earl’s 1/4” NPT Male to 1/8” NPT Female Reducer, part # 361-991201

9. (2 each) from Jegs, Russell -4 AN Male to 1/8” NPT Elbow, part # 799-660800

10. (1 each) from Jegs, Russell -10 AN Male to 1/2” NPT Male, part # 799-660500

11. (2 each) from Jegs, Russell -10 AN Twist-Lok 45°, part # 799-624100

12. (1 each) from McMaster-Carr, Low-Temperature Stainless Steel-Case Liquid-Filled Gauge, 1-1/2" Dial, 1/8” NPT Male Panel Mount Connection, 0-100 PSI, part # 9780T21

13. (1each) from Improved Racing, Oil Accumulator Adapter for LS-Series Engines, part # EGM-116

:smash:

Just so happens that lap was also the last lap of the last session of the day.

IIRC 1:16 ish

If so, the tires don't account for you going down 6 seconds.

I think you had the:

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/dcdafa_48f143765f1941228713da7623e6b6ce.png_srz_449_308_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Manshoon11,

I like that; may have to steal it. :jester:

I felt pretty good about about my time, especially since the track was wet for the first half of the day (that was a completely different kind of 'interesting'). But I have to admit, when I watch guys like Dave Fiorelli run a 1:13, I just have to hang my head humbly and say, "My, my".

:cheers:

Great videos! Your low oil pressure has me thinking now...I'm eager to see the difference after adding the Accusump.

On paper, I'm leaning toward just going the dry sump route from the beginning instead of adding it later, but maybe one of those hybrid/less expensive approaches that keeps the stock pump for pressure and uses an external scavenge pump w/a modified pan to eliminate the issues at the pickup tube. Admittedly, I don't fully understand why one would require an external pump for pressure, unless the system to provide more pressure than the stock pump was capable of. Obviously, I'm quite new to the world of dry sumps and am still researching/learning.

This is a scary topic for me.

When I raced my 02 Z28 I specifically stuck to street tire classes to avoid a G-load that would starve the LS1 of oil.

Now I have a more capable car, with Hoosier slicks... And a brand new LS engine... That I would really rather not scatter.

I will be looking forward to your install, and considering the same.

I wish I had the cash and expertise to go dry sump.