-
Posts
9,187 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by Croc
-
That has to be the quickest 3 way sale set-up that I have seen on this forum. Jack even has the transmission out of the car waiting for Karl to decide to sell!
-
For those like me that thought Sea Foam was a decorating term in house paint, here is a link to their website and where you can buy their products from: http://www.seafoamsales.com/where-can-i-buy-sea-foam-products.html
-
Thank you - This is a very timely and useful post. I had heard ethanol was bad for engines and had always used the premium gas option to try an minimize the ethanol in the gas I was purchasing. Like MisterMike, I travel frequently and for extended periods and I had always figured adding Stabil was the solution for this and the winter lay up. While it is annoying to find out I am likely being ripped off for paying for premium gas I would rather know so I can find a new way to protect the car. My question goes back to your original post - what is Seafoam additive? I have never heard of it.
-
She looks really nicely done! You deserve credit for braving this cold weather in a Seven. I dont think I could have done it. Looking at the pictures with the top up on the car reminds me of that hilarious episode at Carlisle earlier this year of a few Seveners trying and sort of failing to get the top assembled on your old blue Rotus. From the looks of it, KillerBee's top is not much easier to handle. How is your back from climbing into the car with the top up?
-
The following gives another idea for aerodynamic tinkering - the front wings. Extracted from this article: http://www.insideline.com/caterham/csr/2005/european-first-drive-2005-caterham-csr.html Then again you may not want to go away from the clams - I do like that look and can understand some people preferring them.
-
Diffusers seem to be readily available for Sevens in the UK. Here is Fluke motorsports offerring: http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/newImages/182_2.jpg http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/carbon-fibre-multiplane-contoured-diffuser-p-182.html Fluke claims the following: I thought it was interesting that the diffuser has been mounted rearward to effectively lengthen the car for aerodynamic purposes. They also offer undertrays to fill in the open space: http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/carbon-fibre-undertray-suitable-for-caterhams-p-179.html This is the claim, however I am not aware of any technical study that backs this up. Fluke does actively race so there may be some experience they have that justifies their product offerring. The only publicly available study about the aerodynamics of Sevens was the Caterham study when they were developing the CSR. There were 3 key modifications made to reduce lift: - winglets on the side of the nose - venting the airflow from the radiator up through the nose - moving the suspension inboard. This was posted somewhere on USA7s in the past and probably could be found by search.
-
That looks quite a neat solution. Clearly you spent a lot of time testing this - the end result was not one I would have intuited as the best but it must work best as shown by your datalogging results. How significant were the differences to the other CAI alternatives you experimented with - significant or minimal? Also what were you using for datalogging?
-
I settled on the Duratec Cosworth 260 with the Caterham 6 speed box. However I have the Cosworth Duratec catalog of goodies that you can buy to take that further: http://www.coordsport.com/attachments/cosworth-duratec-catalogue.pdf and so I am still dreaming as to what else I could do.... My common sense and budget have disappeared so I am easily swayed by wicked suggestions for upgrades. Sensible decision to do upgrade-itis first - that is my plan too - stops any further temptation and may actually be cheaper in the long run (so I falsely tell myself). As your car is an S3 chassis it is more worthy of being called an Executive Superlight. A CSR is an SV sumo chassis so I settled on Superfat to distinguish it from your lithe and svelte creation.
-
You call your car "Killerbee"? I love it! I run some Sumitomo sport tires at 18psi all round when I am in the car solo. If I have a passenger I bump the rears only up to 24psi otherwise the rear tends to be too firmly planted and I understeer badly. I would have thought a Rotus was lighter than 1500 pounds? Maybe more like 1300 pounds?
-
It will start as a CSR Superlight. Given the shocking weather in NYC today (sleet) and drinking the better part of a bottle of red wine I seem to have accidentally on purpose ticked every possible option box on top of that as I work to get a final parts/goodies list together for final factory order on Monday. It will even have self-cancelling indicators! So it will probably end up as a CSR Superfat.
-
My plan for winter is to build a new Se7en so I have no upgrades as such. However, I would like to shamelessly steal ideas from others here as I ponder the very long option list and try to work out what I want.... . On second thoughts why don't I just tick everything on the option list Clearly no Californian or Florida resident needs to chime in here - they have no winter that the rest of us have to deal with! I am just a jealous north easter...
-
I second Dean's LEO suggestion. I try to make all of the LEO events and usually drag a few other Sevens along. I have always had a great time with them and they are very welcoming of Sevens and car enthusiasts of all types - even porsche owners. Atwell Haines is a great guy and works hard to promote LEO.
-
Welcome to USA7s. These are the blogs I found useful as I went through the thought process a few years back and more recently as I was day dreaming: http://home.btconnect.com/gwiddicombe/kitcar/build.shtml http://www.biggles.net/build.html http://howardwright.typepad.com/howards_seven/ http://my.voyager.net/~quadrant19/ I am sure there are others but these were more comprehensive than most. I am not sure where you are located in the US but this may have a bearing on which direction you want to go because registration realities tend to intrude at the worst possible time. Ask plenty of questions here and use the search function as there is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site to tap into. Cheers
-
No reason to prefer being felt up over being scanned. Scanning is quicker and less intrusive. Sure the TSA guys usually are sniggering at the images but so what...let the muppets have their jollies - they have nothing else in life to look forward other than flipping burgers.
-
Stewart - I think you may have stumbled onto the Caterham Drive Experience guy who is doing a large import to set this up on the East Coast in 2012. Is he affiliated with NASA (National Auto Sport Racing)?
-
Having travelled recently and found the nude-scan machine out of action I had to submit to one of these searches. I can only say what a bizarre and surreal experience it is having your crown jewels "polished" through your pants by another guy. :bs: My lisping wisecrack to the very unhappy TSA guy at the time was not taken well "oooh Sweetheart - are we married now?" So who is flying for Thanksgiving? :leaving:
-
Welcome to the US. As a fellow expat (Aussie), I can relate to the strangeness the US must seem like upon first moving here. However, it is possible to find decent beer here - just ask for microbrews and don't drink anything called Bud, Coors, Amstel, Miller, Pabst, or Rolling Rock and you will be fine. The locals are very friendly and don't bite much. I also recommend getting a gun rack fitted in your vehickle just to fit in when you are at the local mall shopping. Camoflage is the latest fashion accessory these days too! :jester: Seriously I sent you a PM with my contact number if you want to chat over a beer (or 5) on the pain and sufferring it takes to register a Seven in NJ and the alternative options available to you. This will significantly influence your choice of Seven for purchase. I am located in Jersey City NJ and will be around this weekend if you are lost for the 4 day holiday weekend.
-
Geez guys - I go on a business trip for a few days and the world ends! Seriously - thanks for the nice comments. :blush: The deal is still coming together which is why I am being quiet - I do not want to jinx myself. If all goes well I will end up in another Seven - final spec to be determined. Give me some time to pull this together and all will be revealed. Start placing bets on whether I can pull together a Seven quicker than than our wonderful club prez - Al! :rofl:
-
I notice most were VW Beetles or their related Type series for sedans/wagons - not exactly a paragon of handling virtue. As for the driver popping out of the door during a roll - Despite the spin, I thought the Seven driver looked quite smooth - it looked pretty greasy
-
Would you believe me if I said I bought a certain still born project from Cat USA that a certain owner was unable to complete? I don't want to pre-empt Al from announcing first.
-
FOR SALE – 2004 Caterham Seven SV A 2004 kit first registered on the road in 2005 with two owners since new. Professionally assembled by Scuderia Sylvestri, the Caterham dealer in South Florida. I purchased this car in December 2008 at 1815 miles and brought it to the New Jersey (NY metro area) where it is titled as a 2004 Caterham on regular NJ vehicle plates. Drivetrain is a 2L Zetec SVT engine package (new crate motor at time of original assembly) with 5 speed T9 gearbox (standard ratios), LSD. Caterham USA had this to say about the engine at the time: "Caterham USA is proud to announce the release of the Ford Zetec SVT engine package for the US Caterham market. The release of the SVT supersedes the previous Zetec engine line-up. The Ford Zetec SVT engine package is derived from the Ford Focus SVT. The package uses the same robust Ford Zetec design, but with the addition of a Cosworth designed cylinder head, larger cams, variable intake runner lengths and a variable injector system. The SVT package produces 185 hp at the flywheel in stock tune.” Engine has been kept completely stock standard due to NJ inspection regulations. Other specs and relevant information: Painted in Caterham Yellow with a Caterham dark green noseband and yellow cycle & rear wings. Car has less than average stone-chipping for age – only 1 noticeable chip on nose cone. Rear wings still are in very good condition however Caterham chrome rear wing stone protectors do show the usual expected pitting from stones. Cycle wings do have some evidence of star cracking although it is not very noticeable until real close. Edges of bonnet and related scuttle/nosecone show the usual expected marks (paint rubbed off) from rubbing of bonnet to scuttle/nose cone. SV chassis so accommodates those who live life large (like me! ) or just appreciate extra comfort space. This has an extra 4 inches in length and width over a regular S3. The big improvement is a pedal box that accommodates those with big feet. Caterham big brake kit (ventilated discs with 4 piston calipers and braided hoses) 5 x 16” Caterham 5 spoke wheels with Sumitomo sport tires (spare is mounted at rear). Spare wheel has a noticeable paint chip. Caterham S-type seats in black cloth. Driver’s seat has Caterham 5 point harness with Caterham padded shoulder pads. Passenger seat has Caterham 4 point harness with padded shoulder rests and facility to add extra 5th point if wanted. Tonneau Heated windscreen with polycarbonate wind deflectors Heater Chrome sills and headlights Caterham car jack and wheel brace Sidescreens with arm rests While the photos below show the hood and hood bag, this is not available with the car. Additions/Modifications I have made since purchase: New battery Honeycomb shielding under and behind fuel tank Sump guard/skid plate Front number plate bracket High rear brake light mounted on roll bar Clutch pedal stop Replaced all Caterham coolant hoses with silicone type hoses. Also re-routed cooling hoses and replaced all hose connectors for better security. Replaced all non-coolant Caterham rubber hoses with new higher quality rubber hoses from Pegasus Racing. Mid mount exhaust point to stop unsupported flexing New brake light switch All plastic dashboard toggle switches replaced with rubber coated metal toggle switches 12v power socket installed under passenger side dash. Racetech dual mechanical oil pressure/oil temperature (sealed capillary unit) gauge installed Racetech voltmeter Omex shift light Fire extinguisher mounted on passenger side floor Full 4 wheel alignment, bump steer, corner weight check. NJ-required exhaust shielding Soft Bits for Sevens Tunnel bag Soft Bits for Sevens Half Hood with driver side easy in zipper Soft Bits for Sevens half doors – not yet installed on car but included in sale. Mirrors for Sevens rear vision mirror. Regular maintenance/modifications have been carried out by me – usual fluids/oil change/filters/etc. A professional mechanic with experience of Sevens was utilized immediately post purchase to give it a thorough going over and again annually for full mechanical check up. I have kept detailed log book of service history and when the above mechanical modifications were made. It has never tracked by me or the previous owner (based on my inquiries to previous owner’s mechanic). Mileage today: 9873 miles. This Seven has been very reliable and is a very comfortable touring vehicle. I normally store the car in a heated storage facility from December to mid-March; otherwise it is garaged at my residence. Photos of the car: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/DSC_2782_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/DSC_2767_edited-1.jpg Additional pictures can be seen at http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/ and in the lower level galleries from that directory. For pricing I looked at all known Caterham SV sales (10) in the last 2 years comparing specification with known sales price. Prices have ranged from $40,000 to $62,000 based on varying spec levels with an average sales value of $49,600. I believe my specification/mileage/condition is mid-range compared to these other Caterham SV sales. Original asking price was too high so REDUCED TO $36,000. Serious inquiries please contact Mike via PM here at USA7s Car is located in Jersey City NJ for inspection. Vanity plates "Lotus 7" can go with sale if you want. I am selling as I have another Seven project in the works. SOLD 4/19/2011. I will let the new owner on this forum make an announcement as to his happy purchase. He is currently driving the seven from NYC to his home, roughly 4000 miles away. I have asked that he make a post on the journey as it will be a very interesting read. I for one have huge respect for his sense of adventure - just brilliant!
-
Not surprised to hear about the mud - I still have not fully cleaned it off my shoes or the trousers I was wearing - it is strong stuff with the consistency of axle grease. Despite the light fun we are having with you (ok..at your expense), I for one am very relieved that you came out unscathed. For a long moment on Sunday I was freaking out thinking the worst - I figured there had to be pretty significant damage given what happened. Luckily not. Anyway, I know all about going off road - after all I used to own a Series 2 Seven nicknamed Elvis (because it had so many hits) and was referred to the gardener when I was racing as I was always off track digging up dirt. Its so nice that I am not the only one anymore!
