-
Posts
9,187 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by Croc
-
Here is Dean G pedaling very fast – nice tidy performance. Impressive time given the car’s age: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00381_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00382_edited-1.jpg Not sure who this, but it was in immaculate condition and had a Simple Sevens badge on the back: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00377_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00375_edited-1.jpg The LOG 30 organizers clearly put in a huge effort and deserve to be congratulated and praised for this very successfully organized event. I also want to thank the “modern” Seven community for being so friendly and welcoming the whole weekend. It was a great bunch of people and I had a great time with a lot of laughter.
-
For horseshit and giggles, someone thought of sending a horse and buggy around the course. Despite the traction advantages those women represented, alas they were slower than a Lotus or a Seven or a Meotter: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00372_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00373_edited-1.jpg] Michael D came up to demonstrate what 10 inch slicks can do with gravel. Scott also borrowed the car for his runs around the course: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00379_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00380_edited-1.jpg Yes he ate a cone.
-
Jon had the Meotter out in its first taste of autocross. Very nice looking performance – the car with its more supple suspension seemed to handle the lot much better. At least it looked smooth and tidy. Anyway, off to the hairdressers…. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00365_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00369_edited-1.jpg There was this Esprit metal bodied autocross car. The body just behind the front wheel arches would literally scrape on parts of the course. This car was piloted by a one armed guy and was damn fast. I would like to see him go on a smoother larger lot: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00368_edited-1.jpg
-
Saturday night was the formal banquet. Most Sevener’s scrub up well. Then there is Jon in his formal t-shirt: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00361_edited-1.jpg By the way, the red face was not because of drink….he just failed to learn my lesson from the previous day and joined me in the southerner red neck club. Sunday Morning was autocross. Two groups with 4 laps each. The lot was small, a little bumpy and still had a little (lot of?) gravel. It was a double figure 8 type of layout which was effective given the small space the organizers had to work with. Sorry for pic quality here – I only had my pocket cam Here is Kitcat in one or more of his runs: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00362_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00363_edited-1.jpg On the third run he grabbed Jon as ballast. This was a good move. The car was fast, settled, tidy and looked good. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00366_edited-1.jpg
-
In the afternoon we got Mike (Kitcat), Tom (yellows), Jon (Boxologist) and myself touring the Gettysburg battlefield. The National Parks service deserves a medal for the sensitive way they manage the site and allow access for us to learn. We walked Pickett’s charge to better understand what the soldiers went through to get a tiny glimmer of how awful it must have been. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00358_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00357_edited-1.jpg This was taken at the Virginia memorial. Note the British racing green door between the Sevens? We almost managed to block the view of Jon’s “Meotter” http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00360_edited-1.jpg We also had the good fortune to get a talk at Little Round Top by a civil war buff who was able to give us context from that view point on how the battle evolved and the battle lines developed.
-
The red and ali car at the end of the row was Dave’s, the sole Birkin representative at LOG 30 – I think we persuaded him to join USA7s: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00298_edited-1.jpg Seven humor came out in Norm’s car. Under the SCCA old rules, Norm had stripped out his car to make it as light as possible. Then the SCCA changed the rules…oops. He had to add weight. To release his frustrations he added some comments to his rear wings: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00292.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00293.jpg The prize for most exotic number plate goes to this Hawaii one: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00356_edited-1.jpg His name was Paul Sears (I think?) and he had everyone asking the entire weekend if he did a James Bond and drove the car underwater from Hawaii. The humor amongst the USA7s crowd was brutally funny, the jokes and humor were just flowing and this was before drinks! As a group we had a great time. For example: - Tom, Box and john (tom’s cousin) set up a lady to come up to me and say “wow…what a cool car…is it a Morgan?” My face must have looked a picture because the guys burst out laughing. - From across the parking lot I could see in the distance what looked like a very attractive blonde sitting behind the wheel of my car. Intrigued I set off on the long walk to Siberia to check out what good fortune or misfortune I had obtained this time. Well I get back over there to find the blonde lady now behind the wheel of Tom’s yellow superlight. First thing I notice is that she is the one I noticed the night before at the Friday night reception when she had jeans painted on to legs that went up to the armpits. Second I notice she is married…bummer. So she hops out of Tom’s car and says a comment to the effect that she likes my car more because of its leg room but she likes Tom’s better for the way he (sorry his car) hugs her hips! It turns out Tom wanted to show her the difference between a superlight and a fast bastard (sorry SV). Unfortunately her clothing choice and sitting in Sevens did lead to an….um…errr…..camel toe problem. Leaving concours I later discovered that I alarmed Tom greatly. Rather than navigate the crowded concours lot site from Siberia to the exit, I just launched across the grass and found another delivery road that led out. John (Tom’s cousin) who was my passenger was ever so slightly freaked out thinking that he would die as he could not see what I knew lay over the grassy rise…another road! He thought I would plunge into a pond. I later discovered at the hotel that he had not belted himself in…oops 1! Mike (Kitcat) followed thinking that I would not endanger my car….however I have a skid plate and he does not…oops 2! Tom was left alarmed trying to work out where we disappeared to, then discovering to his shock and confusion that Mike and I were way off in the distance heading for the exit at a rapid rate. We were so quick to leave that we left Jon behind – he caught up on the battlefield at Seminary Ridge about an hour later. A lot of laughs came out of this little adventure.
-
Much to our amusement, Tom (yellowss) had some parking issues….oh….he has not seen a cone that he can’t run over: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00294_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00295_edited-1.jpg Even more amusing – notice how his front tires are on backwards! Don’t worry he gets me back later. The brand new Seven built by Tony V for one of his Loony members who is very sick: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00296_edited-1.jpg A line up of Sevens: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00297_edited-1.jpg
-
By now you are probably asking where are the “modern” or USA7s Sevens are? So let’s trek up to the arctic top right corner of the lot where we could be suitably ignored. We got 12 present although Taber decided to go missing from concours. There was also the PA green Seven who came to the July NJ Seven run but whose name I have forgotten. A yellow SV next to Tony Vaccaro’s bank vaulted caged green and yellow Seven: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00288_edited-1.jpg Scott’s orange superlight next to Tom’s (yellowss) superlight: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00289_edited-1.jpg Mike’s (Kitcat) Crossflow seven: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00290_edited-1.jpg
-
Now for Elites, I loved this beautifully restored Elite, ex Monte Carlo rally car: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00323_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00322_edited-1.jpg Some gratuitous auto porn: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00321_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00317_edited-1.jpg
-
Now this looks like a 23B to most observers. However, look closer, see how the rear body flares out over the wheels, then look at the dash…hmmmm….what is it? http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00318_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00320_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00324_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00326_edited-1.jpg To let you into the secret (as I was), it is based on a Europa chassis. Could not work out what engine is being used but likely the same the Europa came with. Was put together 10 years or so ago. Very nicely done.
-
A very nice gold (or is it red?) leaf Europa http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00316_edited-1.jpg Now this is a sight you do not see a lot of – nice large diffuser with a tow hitch sticking out of it! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00314_edited-1.jpg
-
This was my first chance to see an Evora in the flesh. As everyone says they look better in person. Some colors also work better than others – silver was the best, followed by the red burgundy metallic and long last the black. Actually the black just did not work for me – the styling lost its effect. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00300_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00301_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00315_edited-1.jpg Far up in the top parking lot were 5 Ferraris relegated to also-ran today: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00313_edited-1.jpg
-
A very nice Elan and its interior…yum! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00281_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00282_edited-1.jpg The Esprit ranks were well represented: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00287_edited-1.jpg
-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00352_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00353_edited-1.jpg It would not be a Lotus gathering without Lucas Prince of Darkness making a cameo appearance – generating plenty of laughs: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00278_edited-1.jpg A beautifully presented interior of an Elan Plus 2: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00280_edited-1.jpg
-
A very nicely presented Series 4 Seven – the best I have ever seen in person. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00286_edited-1.jpg The racers had prime position in the center of the group photo – deservedly so: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00271_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00272_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00273_edited-1.jpg
-
Now for the original Sevens: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00270_edited-1.jpg I definitely had the hots for this white Seven. I like how the headlight is body color painted: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00274_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00276_edited-1.jpg I think this is Dean G’s Series 1 Seven? http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00284_edited-1.jpg
-
Moving onto some close ups – some lovely Lotus Cortinas. I vintage raced one of these for 3 races in Australia. Woefully underpowered today, marginal brakes and ok handling, they were amazing for their time but it is hard to remember back to those times before I was born. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00267_edited-1.jpg A Lotus Six and a Lotus 9 (I think I got that right?): http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00268_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00269_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/DSC00325_edited-1.jpg
-
Saturday at LOG 30 For those people unable to make LOG 30 here are some pics so you can share in the fun. The concours took place at Boyds Bears – a teddy bear maker and store. An inspired choice by the organizers as it allowed the better halves to go off and do something more fun than prowl classic cars. We were set up in a bowl shaped parking lot in a fan shape. Seemed to be arranged as oldest at the front, newest at the rear. Sevens were split into two groups – the original Lotus ones in the front row and the “modern” Sevens in the far right back row, somewhere close to Siberia. The panorama shot that was taken will look something like this: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/LOG30front_Panorama1.jpg Another version of it from the rear embankment is below. Again the Sevens are somewhere close to Antarctica so you probably cannot see them: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/LOG%2030/LOG30rear_Panorama1.jpg
-
Yes - Las Vegas at the Red Rock Resort from October 14 to 16 (I think I got the weekend dates right?)
-
Also seen at LOG yesterday. While looking out my hotel room window before the reception there was a guy in a early series Seven briefly doing donuts in the rear parking lot. Excellent! :rofl:
-
I still have the floppy SPA mirrors... Further to my recent SPA mirror post, I took the mirror off to make the modification with spacer/washer find that the grub screw in the mirror mount had been loctited in using the red very strong stuff by the prevous owner. I could not shift it by hand nor could anyone else that I challenged. What is the best way to break loctite in this instance?
-
The weather here is perfect. After my long sunny drive I have a nice raccoon look to the left side of my face...oh well. Friday afternoon was well spent cleaning the car....cough cough...paying the Meguiars guys to give it a detail for $45! I spent the time having a short nap and then later giving Tom (yellowSS) and his cousin (Dave?)some "encouragement" as they cleaned up their car. Now my car looks fantastic - almost as good as it did when I bought it. Great turnout here - very nice just to stroll the parking lot and just chat all things car. Some unique animals are there - for example an Exige with a very large rear diffuser somehow also had a towing hitch poking through the middle of it. Some gorgeous Elans, Elites, series 1 and 2 Sevens are also lurking there. There is this white/cream Series 1 seven that looks stunning Turnout is looking good. At the reception last night there was Taber and wife, Jon (Boxologist), Tom (Yellowss) and cousin and me. Later while wandering I found Dave (Xflow7) having a late bite of food after getting in late. I know Mike (Kitcat) is here - he was briefly parked next to me while at registration. I also me Scott (orange superlight from Maryland - dont know profile name on USA7s) in the parking lot. There is also a Caterham couple who drove from Cleveland (names escaped me). We started some USA7s tables for the Saturday formal dinner so the Sevens crowd should only get better.
-
Mike - I sooooo wish I was as prepared as you. In reality I suspect I have problems looming. :svengo:I have not driven the car in 7 weeks (or even seen it because I have been travelling overseas). It should be interesting to see if I start it first go. I will work on it tonight to change fluids and give it a once over safety check. It will be dirty, grimy and desparately in need of a clean. I will hit the autozone place today to buy some supplies to clean it up on Friday afternoon at the LOG hotel so it looks less like Franken7 and more like your Seven. Packing should not be a major issue - I will face that one on Friday morning. I am used to travelling very light. Anyway the luggage room in my fat bastard SV model is much more than you have to work with Anyway I suspect my boot will be full of tools and spares. In order to forestall Murphy's Law I will bring a full complement of parts and tools. Naturally because of this precaution I will not need any of that which I bring! It could be worse - at least I still am still planning to bring my Seven. I understand Boxologist went to the hairdresser this week to buy a Miata and will be bringing that. Sounds like he had some rotten luck with his Seven to lead to such a desparate move. The plan is that I meet him on I-78 and we travel together after that to Gettysburg :driving:getting there early/mid afternoon. I am looking forward to meeting the USA7s group there for a few drinks, discuss Sevens/Lotus, hear some tall stories and plenty of laughter :cheers:
-
For those that want navigation help to get to Bill's place I have a suggestion of a meeting place off I-78. I would suggest 9.30am at exit 15 on I-78. It takes some time to get to Bill's place from there plus you will want a chance to check out the cars lined up in Bill's front lawn. When you come off I-78 at exit 15 at the traffic lights at the end of the ramp there is a Shell gas station on the right hand side at the lights. There is only 1 gas station and it is plainly visible - you really cannot miss it.
-
This was a great event last year with a good Seven turnout. With new Sevens now in NJ plus the (remote?) possibility of seeing Al's new restored Seven - it should be a good day. Posted From LEO Our season-ending November Spirited Drive is planned for Sunday, November 14. Once again we begin with a nourishing breakfast at William Thomas Roadsters, 269 Everittstown Rd (Rt 513), Frenchtown, NJ at 10:30 AM. We will have a 90 minute Drive planned...perhaps with a special attraction to visit. Of course we will finish up at a restaurant. Happy Lotusing, Atwell Haines '88 Esprit Succasunna, NJ Lotus Enthusiast's Organization, NJ/NYC Area
