Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. Wow - I own one of those puppies? :drool: I never saw my engine looking like that - instead it was just one big sexy lump! ummm....I am talking about the engine Karl - not you sorry! That sounds too small an increment? I understood the 2L cannot fit in an S3 chassis (or a Birkin for that matter) as it is too tall by 2 inches?
  2. I had the privilege to drive a Ford Sierra Cosworth RS 500 in Group A touring circuit car guise on a race track in Australia years ago when they were the thing to beat on the race tracks. Very twitchy set up, the power came on song in a huge rush and it all got to serious speed very very quickly. Amazing car. I they may be 25 years old but I still want to buy one - still searching UK classifieds while I dream of finding a decent one I can import to the US to become part of a collection of dream cars I want to buy...one day....:drool:
  3. Posted on behalf of an aspiring sevener who was having difficulty posting here. What is required to register a seven in New York State? Also looking for information on what is required to pass the inspection process. I have heard there is some borough differences between Westchester, Bronx, Brooklyn etc. - not sure how true that is?
  4. "And Bubba looked bewildered at the crushed remains of his 1995 Ford Contour which he had left in the disabled parking space while he went grocery shopping with the other trailer trash at the Gardere Wal Mart. It came in a flash...this was that godammed Hank's doing!" Putting aside the soap opera scenario above - what on earth are you planning to do with this monster? Conquering a few countries (or counties)? Towing an aircraft carrier?
  5. Hi Karl, I am definitely knocked out in April on those dates because of work committments out of town. It is only in May when I start to get my work life under control. Cheers
  6. My good old torque wrench looks like it has broken (mechanism will not hold any torque now in either direction). It was about 10 years old so I am not too upset. Looking at replacements, what do others use for their cars? Brands, digital vs dial vs beam vs gauge, size, etc. Recommendations and suggestions gratefully welcomed.
  7. It would also be nice to confirm the driver is ok?
  8. ouch! How much damage?
  9. I remember a BMW 2L straight six. Lovely silky smooth with a nice howl. However it did not have anything remotely close to the horsepower of this one. Nice find - how much for the engine is the question? Will it fit in a seven? If it will not then I will just have to live with the Aston Martin as a package! :-P
  10. BTTT - Still for sale. Price revised down to $36,000 to meet the market
  11. Hi Skip You read my mind - I had a post it note on my desk to email you on that. I was thinking the weekend of March 26/27. I just sent an email out to Ben to coordinate that. I can make it in on March 26 in the morning - pick it up then and then drop the CSR back with Ben on March 28 for shipping to east coast while I fly to Phoenix for meetings the rest of the week. I am sure a few things will surface on the shakedown. Thats part of the reason I want some time to drive it before it hits the east coast. Cheers
  12. Karl - when are you going to be roadgoing? Mine is targetted for this month. Will probably go out to Denver for a shake-down before I truck her east. Already registered and licensed in the wide open plains of......
  13. Yes rt 9 between peekskill and the bridge is good. I love the tunnel! The other side is just as memorable. My favorite is rt 218 which runs around the bluff between West Point and Cold Spring. Stunning views, great twisties and fairly uncrowded- you are sandwiched between the cliffs and the Hudson River.
  14. I talked with Andy today by phone. Another option was Ralph at RS Motorsports in Closter NJ, a very well respected Lotus specialist. Hopefully, Ralph can solve this issue for Andy. Andy bought the purple westfield originally posted on USA7s here: http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5599&highlight=purple I suppose we have to call it "Barney" :jester: Of all places in the US to break down in a seven - the Bronx has to be close to the worst. With Andy now close by then I think I smell a Bear Mountain and Rt 9E and 9W circuit coming on with a few seveners
  15. I think their offices are still in Dover NJ however, the east coast distribution facility moved in 2007 or 2008 to somewhere in Virginia
  16. Isn't nice when us guys do not have to be politically correct for a change!
  17. I guess you had the first seven meltdown and to set a record for most memorable it had to happen in the bronx. Unfortunately, I dont have anything local to NYC to suggest. Kitcat has already mentioned in a response on one of your posts: - Ben at Caterham USA - Chris at Sevens & Elans While none of the following sites will list a Westfield specifically, the Kent engine was used across many British sports cars so with a bit of discussion they should be able to help you identify the part and supply it by mail: - Moss Motors http://mossmotors.com/ - Morgan Spares of New England - http://britishusedautoparts.com/ - http://brgparts.com/ I am not aware of any place local in NYC that would be able to help in this instance. This is where a AAA card would be useful to get you home to start the repair process. I am also local to NYC - just a bit further south down the Hudson River opposite Battery Park City.
  18. Was this the inflatable model or the model that takes half your wealth when you try to return it?
  19. Karl - That has to be the nicest finish on a gearbox I have ever seen. Looks beautifully engineered - and thats just on the outside. What a pity it will be covered up. Are you installing a flatshifter or other gear changing aid on the box to make it a little more forgiving on the road when you want to drive it there? PS - where did your old 6 speed end up going - NJ or out west? I know J was hoping it fit his but had doubts on the input shaft.
  20. Ok Bruce......you forgot to program her to feel warm when it is really freezing in the seven on the long drive home from a NJ drive! Seriously.....does she have a sister? Hopefully she can be programmed with a dinner option?
  21. Wow...that looks incredible! Any more pics to drool over?
  22. I have thought the same for a long time. The historical WRC video clips out there of him are just amazing to watch.
  23. Stolen from Blatchat - looks to be good advice for Karl and Ron. Who will be the first to expire in a cloud of neutrals? Probably would also help Tom who seems to have trouble finding 4th (and 5th and 6th :rofl: ). Methods of Changing Gear. By William Hewland. The following is some info regarding shifting gear and face dog wear. I am in the fortunate position where I have a good amount of knowledge on the subject, as I understand the mechanical side and the user (driver) side equally well. N.B. For succesful gear shifting, remember that it is critical to ensure that all mechanical elements between the drivers hand and the dog faces are in good order and properly set. This includes the gear linkage in the chassis! Successful up-shifting, (defined as fast and non dog-damaging) will be achieved by fully moving the dog ring as rapidly as possible from one gear to the next, preferably with the engine's driving load removed until the shift is completed. (The opposite is true of a synchromesh gearbox as used in passenger cars, where slow movement helps). It should be remembered that it is not possible to damage the dogs when fully engaged (in gear). The damage can only take place when initiating contact during a shift, (the `danger zone`) therefore this element must be made as short as possible. If a driver moves the gear lever slowly, or if the linkage is not rigid and effective, dog wear will occur. We always recommend lightweight yet solid rod linkage, not cables ideally. I list below the different methods of up-shifting that are used in racing most commonly. The best at the top, the worst at the bottom: Automated (semi automated). The movement of the dog ring is powered and the engine is cut / re-instated in a co-ordinated manner. Gear-shifts take milliseconds. This system produces zero dog wear when set up well. It is not applicable to most cars, but it illustrates that speed of shift is a good thing. Manual with engine cut. This system is almost as good as an automated one as long as the driver pulls the lever very quickly. Again it is not applicable to many cars, but it illustrates that speed of shift is a good thing. A `cheat` version of this is to shift on the engine rev limiter, which can work well. With this system it is especially important to move the lever ultra fast, otherwise the engine will be reinstated during partial dog engagement, causing damage. The damage can usually be felt by the driver. Manual. Best method: With no assistance from the engine management, the driver must lift off the throttle sufficiently to allow the dog ring to be pulled out of engagement. He should then stay off the throttle long enough to allow the dog ring to engage with the next gear. In practice, the driver can move the gear lever faster than he can move his foot off and back on to the throttle. Therefore the effective method is to apply load to the gear lever with your hand and then lift the throttle foot off and back on to the pedal as fast as physically possible. In lifting your foot, the loaded gear lever will almost involuntarily flick to the next gear before the foot is re-applied to the throttle. Another method is to load the gear lever with your hand, stay flat on the throttle and dab the clutch to release the dog ring. The overall effect on the gear shift is similar to the above method, but clutch wear may become a big issue. The worst method (most destructive and definitely slowest) is to attempt to change gear in a `passenger car / synchromesh` way, i.e. lifting off the throttle, dipping the clutch, moving the gear lever, letting the clutch up and re-instating the throttle. The method causes unnecessary clutch wear, does absolutely nothing to help come out of gear and usually causes dog wear whilst engaging the next gear. This wear is due to several reasons. Firstly, it is impossible for a driver to co-ordinate the complicated sequence of all five physical movements accurately. Consequently the engagement dogs often find themselves engaging whilst the throttle is applied. The lever is usually pulled more slowly as it was not pre-loaded, lengthening the `danger zone`. Successful down-shifting, has similar rules applied regarding speed of shift. Unloading the dogs is done in the opposite manner obviously. Whilst braking, the dogs must be unloaded by either touching the throttle pedal or- my preferred method- by dipping the clutch. However, one sharp dab of clutch or throttle is appropriate per shift. Continued pressure on either will cause dog damage for different reasons. `Blipping the throttle` just before engagement is advisable if the rev drops between gears are over 1300 rpm, as this will aid engagement and stabilise the car. TOP TIP for ease of downshifting: Make the downshifts as late as possible in your braking zone (i.e. at lower road speed), because the rev drops between each gear are then lower. So many drivers make the mistake of downshifting as soon as they begin braking, causing gearbox wear, engine damage and `disruption` to the driving wheels. This is a subject which can be much expanded on, but I feel that these are the basics, which I hope are of use. William Hewland, President, Hewland Engineering.
  24. I drove past a red and ali seven at Fort Lee, NJ on Rt 9W just near the George Washington Bridge. He was heading south at 2.45pm. I was in the yellow seven and waved but the other driver just looked at me with mouth open - probably too surprised to happen across another seven on the road by chance. It was too quick to get a good look but was either an original Lotus series 2, caterham or birkin of some type. I have never come across another se7en while just out driving around - now I know what others think when they see our little cars loom into view... "WTF!" Gorgeous weather today in the NY area - brilliant sun, not a cloud in the sky, no wind, in the 50s. It was nice and snug in the se7en. I hope others got a chance to get out this weekend and blow the cobwebs away.
  25. Croc

    Auzzie oilchange

    Yep....I recognize that dry Aussie humor coming through strong.
×
×
  • Create New...