Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. Oh? Do tell more....
  2. Here are the trackside villas that I think you rented Tom? Looks quite fancy for us bunch... http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/vip.html There is a big list of accom alternatives: http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/accommodations.html Should be something reasonable there. Milville has probably got the only food options around - breakfast and dinner. I suspect the food concessions are not open on the day. When do we need to take a deep breath, grab a hold of something and commit for this?
  3. To be used in a Seven????
  4. We shoehorned John into my SV without much hassle. Face was above the windscreen....minor detail. I think he did brown the underwear a little when I launched over the grassy hill at LEO (after I had walked it to check it out too!). I only go cross country on smooth grass....did not even tickle the sump guard at LEO. I can handle the 2 spin rule - survived Silverstone without an issue in a Seven. However, as for Boxologist..... :svengo:
  5. ooohhhh!!! a challenge! I doubt it is cohones that is the problem. The bigger issue is people channel their inner woman and get lost, or distracted, or just are worried about messing up their hair (e.g. miata drivers). Did I miss offending anyone? Is this the same John that I terrorized as a passenger at LEO travelling from Boyd's Bare Wear House to the Einsenhower Motel? Excellent news! He may not have a Seven but he has the spirit!
  6. uh oh....I smell a temptation coming on....:rofl: Karl - you know you will not be able to resist! So if you have an R400 SV and you replace the engine, transmission, seats, chassis, etc....do you still have an R400?
  7. LOL :rofl: OK - I will bite - if I buy the first round then you buy the second? Now how many people did I just sign you and I up for buying beers? :cheers:
  8. JVbtte (Jack) and JLBtrans (Jen) are one and the same - lovely couple! However, I doubt Jack will get the time off work. Maybe open it up to Atwell's Lotus Enthusiasts Org group?
  9. Nah! Stiggy is a Westy man through and through!
  10. It also appears in the for sale pages about a year later at another PA dealer. I think it is the same car you saw with a yellow nose cone. Spec is otherwise identical. Its the only Westfield I have heard of in the MidAtlantic region and to have another blue one pop up is too much of a coincidence. Given it is a crossflow then that floor underneath it at the dealers looks suspiciously clean!
  11. I soooo wish that were true. Unfortunately for reconstructs, salvage and kit cars (which are usually on those titles) then they still need the "safety" inspection from what I can work out from chatting with the NJ DMV recently. The safety inspection is the killer and is completely separate from the usual 2 year biannual roadworthiness for normal title cars. As far as I know I am the last sevener person to make it through that ordeal of an inspection and prior to me was our Al, our club prez and he was 2006 which were the old "easier" rules Now if you can get a title that is not a reconstruct or salvage or otherwise kit car (e.g. regular Lotus or historic title) then you bypass the issue. Also there is a whole world of pain around emissions testing. In theory you can get a waiver from OBDII testing to use a tail pipe sensor but it depends on the time of the month, moon phase, number of spanners in the trunk of your car, whether the inspector got laid last night and so on. Its not impossible but its not a decision to rush into.
  12. That is great news for the S1's!!! :hurray:
  13. Don't rush into this. NJ is probably the hardest state of all to get a seven registered. Getting a title is not the issue. The real issue is getting it through the specialty inspection process. I bet you cannot just plug in OBDII and get a nice reading without error codes faulting. I have written pages on this topic over the last 2 years - I will PM my contact details and I can email some relevant docs to you to read and think through how you should plan to get through this process. BTW - Is it the blue Westfield that you are looking at? I think SteveS1 looked at that at one point - may want to compare notes.
  14. Pretty close actually. Length with spare - 11'10" add an extra inch for the ezpass box/number plate which mounts forward of the nose on my SV. Height - 45" 11/16ths (I have the standard roll bar which is lower than the FIA bar. Might be worthwhile checking for that. Front width - 66" Rear width - 68" The rear wings stick out an extra inch over the tire on the rear. The mirror does not stick out past the exhaust let alone coming close to the extremity of the front and rear wings.
  15. :rofl: I love it! I figure I can be cocky and confident as I plan to check thoroughly beforehand whether I turn left or right when I leave the pit lane. That should give me 2-3 mins head start no matter how bad the rest of my driving is. Anyway, I know I am not another ayrton senna behind the wheel. In my only major international quality touring car race I entered I came last (ok there were a few electrical problems with the car as well - piston went through alternator) and my times were not inspiring when the car was running ok for a few laps. But I will get out there and be prepared to take my beating from a Rover....if it lasts the 20 min session. :jester: All humor aside, I think we need to meet the night before for a few beers and a meal and lots of laughter. Saves the early wake up and drive down there. Steve - Seven drive or no drive you will always be welcome to turn up. Want to bring your daily driver?
  16. Brilliant!
  17. I ended up following the non-SVT manual guidance for my SVT as I was like you - could not find a manual. It has worked fine for the last 2 years without an issue.
  18. Tony Welcome! I cannot help you with Central Illinois roads but I can make some suggestions on what is a good everyday Seven. I am not going to be marque specific as this is a personal style matter you are best placed to judge. Once you have got past the big decision of marque, engine, transmission, etc, this is my personal view of what makes a good touring Seven: reliability - whether this is a crossflow or a zetec or duratec, the car needs to be well fettled so that you can guarantee it will start, drive and get you home every time. While my Zetec car is great now, I spent most of the first year sorting out quirks in the electrics and cooling system that would reduce my confidence in the car. Now I trust it to do long trips and know it will get me there and back without an issue. Expect to do this with whatever car you choose and you be entering Seven ownership with the right mindset. weather abilities - I really recommend weather gear for touring. This can be the full hood for a rain storm or a half hood/sun cover for hot summer days when you do not want to fry the top of your head. Wind buffeting also contributes to tiredness on long journeys. I use the sidescreens on my Seven for long highway interstate trips and revert back to the clear polycarb wind wings for backroads at slower speeds. A tonneau is useful for when you make the inevitable stop and want to keep little hands/bodies out of your car when you are not there. Some people have come up with ingenious solutions to this - Slomove on this site has some great design extended polycarb wind wings/screens which allow the view in but streamline the wind away. noise - a straight through exhaust sounds great initially but wears you out on a long drive even with ear plugs. Also think about the cruiseability of the drivetrain. Some Caterham owners with the 6 speed find their engine is revving too high in 6th gear on interstates whereas the 5spd box has an overdrive. driving position - The original Seven is pretty small. Driving any length of distance in it can wear you out if you are of the ...ahem...."fuller" figure and find your movement constrained. A larger cockpit in say a Stalker, Westfield, Ultralite or SV may be more relaxing. Decent seats prevent back pain and allows you to drive further more comfortably. A larger foot box allows you to slide the left foot under the clutch pedal on long runs between gear changes and allows you to shift the right foot around to keep it fresh. A well sorted cockpit with map pockets or some small item storage is very useful to hold nic-nacs like candy, sun glasses, wallet (since you may find it uncomfortable to sit on) that you can grab while on a drive. Heating. Lots of guys will say take it out to save weight. I disagree for touring - I use mine in Spring and Fall and it extends my driving season in the North East. Of course you could remove it and add the weight and additional cost by buying a heated jacket.... suspension set up. Some Sevens I have been passenger in are really tied down on their suspension - great for a track but not around town or on a long tour. My SV has relatively soft suspension (factory settings) which is great for soaking up the bumps. Kiwi's suggestions above are well recommended as he probably does more miles than all of us combined - so he knows his touring needs! Cheers
  19. Smart wife! I agree with her - it is too nice a car to carve up. Lets see what Tom comes back with after whispering sweet nothings in the organizer's ear... Worst case you buy a Volvo 240 - rear wheel drive, 5 spd manual, air con blows cold - what more could you want and you would still be faster than Tom. Here is a link to start looking: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=289298072&dealer_id=4276991&car_year=1984&doors=&systime=&model=240_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&body_style=SEDAN&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1294533547749&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=8&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=07302&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=VOLVO&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=2399&standard=false&rdpage=thumb
  20. Ouch thats not good news Steve. I guess there is no option to taking the seat base out a la Caterham and sitting on the floor to create head room? If they are not options then how about the organizers granting us our own class for the day so we can make up the rules like the Cobra guys do? Tom - we need your sweet charms to work the organizers over on this one!
  21. Putting aside the Meotter for a moment, these would also look to be too restrictive for the S1's which have a roll hoop. What can be done to clear up their eligibility? Not having one handy right at this moment - I think they could clear a broomstick test if the roll hoop is deemed acceptable? I would also suggest that the S1 drivers slouch during this broomstick test or substitute themselves with something smaller - like 5'5 or midget. Maybe the way to ask the question is to see if Cobra replicas are acceptable? Many of these normally have a roll hoop, behind the driver only.
  22. Come along - there will be plenty of chances to check out Sevens and I am sure some other nice cars. We are also a pretty funny bunch when you get us together. Oh wow...a block of apartments that can play mobile chicane for us! Can you keep up with it Tom?
  23. Croc

    Hello !!

    Good to see that you sorted out the technical glitch and can post here. First drinks on me for you and Tessa when you arrive in NYC! :cheers:
  24. Manhattan is pretty scary to drive in the Seven. Most drivers do not look when changing lanes and a Seven is below the side window height so it is invisible. The roads get better as you head out of town and it does not take long to do this. However, you MUST take a Seven into Times Square and stop/slow somewhere on broadway or 7th. It stops the place dead - heads turn, women squeal, camera flashes everywhere, people want to shake your hand, etc. Its the only time I felt like a celebrity. 5th Ave is also good for a cruise on a Sunday afternoon Also good are the Holland Tunnel and Lincoln Tunnel - the sound is fantastic. Otherwise the best driving is west and north of the city or out on Long Island. And Boxologist always provides thrilling rides to his passengers..... :ack:
  25. While it does not worry me, June 19 is Fathers Day and that will have a big impact on limiting the availability of people. I suggest the 18th will suffer the same problem as some people may end up travelling for family events. The weekend of June 11/12 seems better for this reason.
×
×
  • Create New...