Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. I am travelling for work and do not have my personal computer with me. So you will have to bear with me. The half hood or bikini top for my car was made by Soft Bits for Sevens http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/ Dick Brink at Birkin America sources a similar "Birkini" top for Birkins. The half hood mounted on my car shows up in post 16 on this link http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5032&page=2 The side screens are the black with clear plastic windows seen separately mounted on the side of my car in this post (without the half hood mounted): http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3491&highlight=spring+drive When put together the side screens just fit under the half and make it weatherproof on 3 sides around the driver and all the way over the top. You can see what I mean in the pic on this link: http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/aboutus.html and here http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/page4.html With a weatherproof bag protecting any luggage I have I find this combination more practical than the regular full hood combination as it does not fog and it is extremely quick and easy to put up. I also use a draught excluder by SBFS to stop rain being sucked in under the half hood from the back. A draught excluder is at: http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/page39a.html Sorry not all these pics are my car but they illustrate the approach I was referring to. When I get back in town I can take a pic of my car and post it but this will hopefully help you visualise things for now.
  2. Nah....mine still leaks in places.... A quality auto upholsterer will probably end up with something about as good as a Caterham hood. Also consider marine upholsterers as an alternative. You may not need a full hood. While I do not drive a Stalker, I use a half hood/bikini top with caterham side screens in the rain and find it blocks out most rain from the cockpit quite well. I only move to using a full hood when it turns torrential rain. I would think you could make up something similar fairly easily. This is a very good suggestion by Jack. A Caterham has a heated windscreen which helps but does not completely solve the fogging issue. I use ski goggle antifog on the inside of my windscreen plus leave a snap button tab open on the sidescreen/hood side to promote cross ventilation to keep the heat in the "cabin" down. It does get toasty in there with the engine warmth and the hood up.
  3. I believe this is the car here: http://www.britauto.net/page2/page17/page17.html I am a sucker for this paint job. Jeff builds a nice car.
  4. I have had the car out in torrential rain. Not recommended but it does still run happily. The worst was the 2009 drive from Milford NJ with Bruce Bowker. S1Steve and I went swimming going home on that day after the drive. Once home, I ended up drilling a hole in the floor to drain the standing water out. I have wipers that are on the fritz so I rely on RainX to keep the screen clear - works great when you are moving. Go on....go out....you know you want to! Dont worry about your car shrinking any further!
  5. Caterham 7 with a standard Ford Zetec SVT with a T-9 gearbox - no real enhancements allowed to the engine in NJ (not if I want to keep it registered). So I get to spend my money elsewhere on the car
  6. And I was thinking I would see a crossflow engine.....geez I am so slow today...
  7. Hi Steve - There was intent by me to knock the Morris Minor. I loved the battery slogan for precisely the same reason as you - Lucas Prince of Darkness Hi Hank - I was just having cheap fun at your expense - no offence was intended. That link to the Carlisle pics absorbed an hour of my coffee wake up time this morning - absolutely brilliant - luckily not the same show that we were at. I am glad you did post the link there for everyone else.
  8. The trailer trash award of the day goes to these monsters: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2939_edited-1.jpg For $3000 bucks and a $500 late 90s Camaro soft top you can create a truly unique looking piece of shit. I was standing before it and the business owner thought I was admiring it. He then proceeded to show me what he thought were styling highlights of this thing. Being finished as a display car in primer is a distinctive look. The second car on display was more finished with a top coat however for $4000 bucks and a $900 1988-1995 Thunderbird you get this: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2940_edited-1.jpg The option list was interesting - you can buy an opera window look for the rear window. I suppose it helps hide you from your friends seeing you as you drive around the neighborhood. The trip home was fun. Around Allentown it starting bucketing rain - so it was a stop to pull off the half hood and put up the full hood. My wipers decided to initially not work (thank goodness for RainX) and then 10 miles later introduced the intermittant function - they would turn on or off as I hit bumps on the highway. Again I was reminded that I have not yet rainproofed the pedal box so I had a nice waterfall effect going on across my legs and water sloshing around the floor. At Newark I got pulled over - not for speeding though. With the hood up and the engine working nicely, it gets warm in the car. To cool things down I did not latch down the side screens so at speed (speed limit or so) the bottom half of the sidescreens flies up and flaps like a wing letting in cool air but still leaving the clear plastic piece in place. The nice orificer did not like that - thought I was endangering the lives of innocent people. He was an older guy - asked if I was trying to copy the Flying Nun (older members will remember this TV show from the 60s). Obviously he had not seen the state of NJ roads which are atrocious and probably kill more people than my stupid sidescreens. He thought my car was a "dangerous rattletrap." I was tired so I argued a little more than I should have. The discussion was going my way until the asshole said "You know you might be just right if you used a more polite tone" My response "Yeah and pigs fly" pretty much finished my hopes of escaping there. That was not my finest moment - so a ticket for me.
  9. This owner of an Austin Healey Sprite clearly makes his beer preference known. Donald Healey would be rolling in his grave: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2960_edited-1.jpg Ncie workmanship on the restoration of that car apart from the beer can. More Triumphs http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2966_edited-1.jpg A Daimler SP250 is very nice condition: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2965_edited-1.jpg
  10. For some reason I find the battery logo "Die Hard" somewhat apt to this Morris Minor Convertible http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2959_edited-1.jpg A brace of Triumphs: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2962_edited-1.jpg The MErcedes car club had a huge turnout of owners in sports jackets, leather dress shoes, quaffing wine, pate, cheese and crackers... An SLR: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2963_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2964_edited-1.jpg
  11. I love the first series BMW M3 from the late 1980s. Another car on my wish list to buy: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2953_edited-1.jpg Only saw 1 Jaguar - this very nice E type http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2956_edited-1.jpg Look at the patina on the leather interior http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2955_edited-1.jpg This owner of these spotlights mounted a Audi 2+2 Coupe as an afterthought: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2957_edited-1.jpg
  12. oops and another GT40 http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2938_edited-1.jpg Guess the donor car on this one: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2941_edited-1.jpg I had to see the dash to confirm it... The Opel GT club had a massive turnout - nice people to chat with: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2958_edited-1.jpg The Citroen club had a nice display. The left car was a Citroen 5hp. The engine was smaller than my alternator. The guy actually drove it an hour to get to the show: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2952_edited-1.jpg
  13. I am also a sucker for Cobra and Daytona replicas: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2933_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2934_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2936_edited-1.jpg Another GT40 http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2935_edited-1.jpg
  14. Now I am a sucker for GT40s - I want one.... http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2928_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2926_edited-1.jpg This was labelled as a Superperformance GTM - not seen one before but I like it: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2931_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2930_edited-1.jpg
  15. Now for the rest of the show - I saw none of the trailer trash that Hank posted (that he found and borrowed from the WSCC UK site...). Instead I saw lots of stuff I wanted to buy. Given the recent post, some Porsche replicas - lovely: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2937_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2925_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2924_edited-1.jpg This is the powerplant of one - my lawnmower engine is bigger than this: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2923_edited-1.jpg
  16. The only Lotus at the entire show was this Elite parked next to my Seven. I never met the owner unfortunately. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2951_edited-1.jpg Getting token Seven treatment was this MG owner who initially parked next to the USA7s tent and then eventually under the tent. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2950_edited-1.jpg Comment from the owner was that the MG club across the way did not have any room and anyway he did not know them. Poor guy spent a lonely day sitting next to his car. Lovely car - he really had done nice work on it. There were 2 other Sevens at the show - 2 Stalkers, one with a V8 too. Very nicely presented cars and they got a lot of interest. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2929_edited-1.jpg
  17. Steve's (Ruahd2) Rotus. I was a little surprised when Mazda popped out of the passenger seat. For a moment I thought he had modified his car again. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2944_edited-1.jpg Great work being done to fettle the car. Looks crappy now but I love the proposed paint plan of estoril or cobra blue with a nose stripe and band. The fun moment of the day was helping Steve put the hood up. What a comedy. I think there were 4 of us and 30 minutes later we worked it out. And I thought my hood was a mess to assemble. Gary's (GSLutz) very nice Birkin. I don't believe he drives it - it is too pristine. His display method was inspired - it was like displaying a blonde to Bill Clinton - no-one could resist checking out the car and more importantly the trailer. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2945_edited-1.jpg Great workmanship on the trailer - I want one like that. I saw 3 people separately measuring the trailer up with tape measure (one even as Gary was trying to drive away as he left!). For those who did not turn up here are some member photos as they participating in the ritual tall story telling (my horsepower is more than yours, etc): http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2948_edited-1.jpg Right to left - Steve (Ruahd2), Roman (Evilromeo), Gary (GSLutz?), and un-named friend of Gary (sorry I forgot).
  18. Despite the concerns over the weather it was good to meet some of the USA7s members and put a face to a profile name. I was a little disappointed that Frankn7 did not make the drive - some lame excuse about getting hair wet or not finished bonsai-ing the electrics. Mazda was probably scared he would end up on Hank's Carlisle pic link with the bonnet work done lately :jester: Unfortunately I left before Jon made it so there are no pics of his car. Roman's (EvilRomeo) Ultralite. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2949_edited-1.jpg Lots of bling bling under the hood: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2942_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Carlisle%202010/DSC_2943_edited-1.jpg That engine was a magnet for the crowds. Lots of drooling enthusiasts - several people deep at one point. Note the strategically placed rag - convenient to wipe up those inevitable accidents from those men who could not control themselves.
  19. I just finished reading through your GTO board posting - wow that is a long one. It even features Slngsht early on with the Franken7 :rofl: I am also local - just not as close as Jon. I head to Carlisle tomorrow and my next day off is Sat May 29 if you want to catch up then.
  20. No problem, I will slap the burgers down on your manifold and they will be done in no time.
  21. What time on Saturday are people aiming to be at Carlisle? I want to make sure I turn up fashionably late :cooldude:
  22. No not mine! I stumbled over this on the LOONY site. Amazingly it has full registration and an inspection sticker - very rare beast. No affiliation or link but reposted in there is anyone out there looking for a NJ car. Caterham Seven 1997 $27,000 1997 solid axle car , Raceline 2l zetec,5sp T-9 trans. Emerald m3D with several sets of injectors, Aluminum radiator, Carbon fiber seats, FIA rollbar. Also comes with the crossflow motor/4spd, driveshaft, motor mounts, headers,etc. Mods by Raceline include: Oversize hydraulic lifters, Flowed exh and inlet ports, Their valve springs with titanium retainers, 220 (piper)cams, Vernier pulleys, Fly cut pistons bal with con rods and ARP con rod bolts, wet sump kit, lightened flywheel/balanced, 8 1/2 in AP clutch, alternator mount, water rail,ss headers, reverse dir water pump, gas tank w/internal pump, close ratio gear box and alloy bell housing. Jenvey throttle bodies, Pipercross filter. It has an AFR reader made by an Aussie company, bosch probe in the collector pipe. I have been mapping the emerald based solely on AFR readings taken on sunday cruises. It' s good up to about 5,000 rpm and that's as far as I got . Needs a dyno now. New Jersey registered and titled. I have the side curtains,top and tonneau but they've been up in the barn for years. Total mileage is about 6,000 on two speedometers. Why am I selling? I just turned 65 and am about to sell my business and move to Pa with my horses. I have not driven my Caterham much in the past few years and might as well pass it on to someone who will enjoy it. VanZimmerman EMAIL vanzimm@comcast.net 908 328 1974c 908 234 0650w
  23. We even managed to set up a panorama in the local park. Somehow a Miata snuck in LOL http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Fish%20and%20Chip%20Run%20May%202010/FishchipdriveMay2010panorama.jpg In case you cannot see it all here is the photobucket link. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Fish%20and%20Chip%20Run%20May%202010/FishchipdriveMay2010panorama.jpg The route was inspired - lots and lots of twisty stuff. I need to copy it and send it to Bruce for the Se7ens run in June.
  24. Well...the Run occurred today. Fantastic weather and a pretty good turn out. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Fish%20and%20Chip%20Run%20May%202010/DSC_2892_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Fish%20and%20Chip%20Run%20May%202010/DSC_2889_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Fish%20and%20Chip%20Run%20May%202010/DSC_2886_edited-1.jpg
  25. I love the look of the 550 Spyder however all the Beck ones I have ever seen/driven were based on the Volkswagen Beetle (the original one). Engine, chassis and suspension all borrowed. I learned to drive in a 1971 seasick green color Volkswagen Beetle thats been in the family since new and only 61000 miles on the clock (been around it a few times though!) Describing the performance as average would be too generous and the handling was evil as you approached its very low limits. The Beck version was faster because the heavy tall body had been removed but you still reached the same chassis behavior just at higher speeds. Now if you could avoid a Spyder that started life as a Beetle then I think it might be worth looking at - especially if it used a Porsche air cooled flat 6 and had the IRS option you mentioned. The Porsche aircooled sixes are great engines - reliable, easy to work on, easy to get spares. The Subie flat four would be another option but I was not aware they had put these into the Beck Spyders. Even so this is a rather effete option when put against a Seven like car. It comes down to how hard core do you need to be with your second sports car? You already have a nicely warmed up Miata so wouldn;t the Spyder just be a variation on a theme? More of the same or do you want a very different character car to unleash on those days when you feel like it. Just my penny thoughts - its a wonderful problem to have and you have a great wife who understands us boys need toys!
×
×
  • Create New...