Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. I'm not going back to street tires. Slicks are too much fun. Unless it rains that is. You could spec r compound DOT tires, but if you run CR500,ACB10's or 032 Street tires you still won't compete with the R compounds. My thoughts are that a basic seven, unmodified frame, engine placement, are the "Class we're talking about. I don't care if they run a 4,5,6 or sequential gearbox. In Autox one shift is usually it. As for Power/torque to weight ratios, I still think driver skill is the critical factor. Look at the guys that competed last sunday. Did you beat Sam strano's time? He was driving a Camaro BTW. Most "stock 7's" have either 135-150 or 200-220 hp. Putting the power down is the critical factor, I have 195 hp and I've driven sevens with 135 and personally I think it is easier to drive the lower powered one, since you don't have to worry about breaking the back end loose when you apply the power. Again, skill vs power. Autoxing is not drag racing or top end dependent. Just my opinion. Tom
  2. Michael, I agree, driving skills(and slicks) make the difference. Since you kicked my butt last sunday, I have to bow to your superior skills. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/cheers2.gif Looking forward to competing against you next season. Tom
  3. I've always wondered why the Caterham was classed as a Modified car, since as bball(steve) pointed out, most of us run "Stock" cars. The engine choice is fairly limited, Crossflows, Zetecs, Rover K series,and now Duratec. All "factory spec" motors. A Street tire'd car can't compete with a Slick no matter how good the driver, IMHO. Once you start moving the engine, adding aerodynamics, etc. you have a true MOD car. Question is are there enough "stock 7's to have their own class? Although I think there should be a weight penalty for those Huge 2.0 Liter engines. Those of us with little 1.8 liters and less need a big handicap to equalize things out. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/lol.gif Tom yellowss72006-10-29 10:26:24
  4. Just a note of caution for those of you who have never trailered a car. An additional 2000 pounds is not insignificant. 3 years ago, while towing my seven to an autox, the trailer started swaying and I lost control of the Durango that I was towing with. (this was on the NE ext. of the Pa. Turnpike) Bounced off of the left then the right guardrails and ended up with the trailer jacknifed across the inside lane. The trailer is an enclosed 18ft Pace that weighs 2750 empty. I was only doing 50mph when it happened. Someone said that I should have speeded up and applied the trailer brakes using the module in the durango. Speeding up is not intuitive when you're being pushed and pulled by a swaying trailer. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/ack2.gif The hooks on the rear tiedown straps straightned out and the seven slid forward about 3 feet, denting a rim and putting a small crack in the left rear wing. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/cryin.gif Duragno was totalled and the trailer now sports dents on 3 corners. Just be careful towing!!! One other observation, an enclosed trailer is nice, if it rains, to store stuff more safely, but definitely is harder to tow, due to poor visablility and susceptability to wind. If you don't get caught in the rain, Michael's trailer is definately the way to go. PS he kicked my butt at sunday's autox. I am humbled. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/thumbsup.gif Tom
  5. 946 might be about right, as I have the windscreen,heater,paint,wipers,lighting,clams up front. MB wheels are alot lighter than the panasports. I'm still the heaviest item in the car. Although my K is tuned slightly higher with 196 BHP and 150 lb/ft torque. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/coolgleamA.gifyellowss72006-09-28 16:15:19
  6. Ordered it through QED (Quorn Engineering Development)in the UK. Picked it up at customs. No issues. They were pretty easy to deal with. They have a few different levels of tune to suit your needs or wallet. Engine was complete, with mapping and dyno sheet. It's a nice light enging for the 7. Makes pretty good power too.
  7. My Caterham superlight weighed in at 1164 lbs. when I had it cornerweighted last year. Dry sumped Rover K series 6 speed Painted MB Magnesium wheels Avon CR500 tires FIA Rollbar Windscreen 4 gallons of gas
  8. yellowss7

    Caterham pics

×
×
  • Create New...