Wilwood and a Word of Caution

xcarguy

Okay, guys. I know several of you, as am I, are using Wilwood brake assemblies on your cars. Earlier this week, while replacing the front pads, I decided to remove the dust covers for a quick visual (peace of mind) inspection. Even though I had (continue to have) zero slop in my assembly, I simply wanted a peak. The photos below are what I found. :ack: That sparkly stuff adhering to the grease on the cotter pin, the castle nut and the end of the spindle is aluminum shavings. :svengo: Those are also aluminum shavings in the dust caps, and were once part of the dust caps. It seems the cotter pins (both sides) have been rubbing against the inside of the dust covers since installation. Luckily, there was no damage other than the dust covers. However, bearings are being replaced for, again, peace of mind. My words of advice?......go back, remove your dust covers and check your assembly for cotter pin-to-dust cover interference…..just in case.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

I think the friction is what kept me from running a 1:08 at NJMP. And I'm pretty sure that's why I kept having trouble with turn one. Wait! What's that smell . . . . It sure ain't break dust. :D

Hi Shane,

What brand of pads are you using and what compound. I'm due for pad replacement

and have used Wilwood pads before. I would think it's time for new wheel bearings

also. I also got caught up watching your in the wet videos you reposted from NJMP

today.. big fun. Thanks.

Hi Shane,

and have used Wilwood pads before. I would think it's time for new wheel bearings

also. I also got caught up watching your in the wet videos you reposted from NJMP

today.. big fun. Thanks.

Steve,

Running Wilwood BP-20 pads. Wilwood basically has three levels of brake pads; BP-10 (mainly street), BP-20 (street/track) and BP-30 (full blown performance pad). The pad o’ choice in the world of Wilwood-adorned Storkers is the BP-20. The 10 is pretty much worthless for serious high performance driving and the 30 tends to eat rotors (or so I’ve been informed), thus making the 20 a good, all around pad. My pads, after 8,000 + miles and two + years of track days, were right at 50%. Here’s my part number:

. . . . :cheers:

IMG_0924.jpg

Hi Shane,

today.. big fun. Thanks.

This problem not directly related to Wilwood , but is a cotter key installation error and can happen to any spindle mounted hub that uses a key locked nut. And specifically for the superformance guys-- are you aware that on the early models the master cylinders were too large. This can be rectified by using s new 5/8' in the front position and switching the front to the rear.

speedwagon,

Thanks for you input. I'm sure most of us are aware that this problem can happen on any car.

I am aware of the master cylinders on the early cars. My S1 is at the end of the production run ,so I never had that problem.

Edited by S1Steve