Importing a Used 7 Chassis

Ferrino

I'm aware of the problem of importing to the US a used rolling chassis that basically represents a disassembled used car (maybe less the drivetrain). But what about a completely bare Seven chassis comprising just the tubular chassis and some bodywork? Is this a straightforward import?

Also, does anyone have any current contact numbers for the relevant authorities (EPA/NHTSA) who could help me? It's been a while since I looked into this.

Thanks!

I'm aware of the problem of importing to the US a used rolling chassis that basically represents a disassembled used car (maybe less the drivetrain). But what about a completely bare Seven chassis comprising just the tubular chassis and some bodywork? Is this a straightforward import?

Also, does anyone have any current contact numbers for the relevant authorities (EPA/NHTSA) who could help me? It's been a while since I looked into this.

Thanks!

Start here

https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

I have seen a replacement chassis imported as replacement/spare parts, no vehicle paperwork needed, just customs. Chassis came from Arch Motors and was no different than shipping engine or suspension parts over.

Coincidentally, I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night (really! LOL), but this is PURE speculation: It seems that if you avoided any serial numbering or stamping, (assuming you are replacing a chassis like-for-like anyway), that would reduce the chance of alarms ringing?

• 2 weeks later...

When I was researching getting my first 7 long ago, I eventually got through to who I believe was the "right guy" at the NHTSA who told me that once an assembly of "car parts" has an engine or gearbox installed, it forevermore becomes a "car" from that point on, even if later disassembled. So, assuming that information was correct, attempting to bring in a chassis that you know had come from a "car" as defined above would most likely be viewed in a negative light by the NHTSA. Or so I believe.

Thanks Sean. As usual, this seems really ambiguous to me. For example, would this not imply that any used part that has ever come into contact with a running car is not legal to bring in? My understanding of the wording was more a case of: stripping a car down in the host country, shipping parts separately and then reassembling it to recreate the car on these shores.

When I was researching getting my first 7 long ago, I eventually got through to who I believe was the "right guy" at the NHTSA who told me that once an assembly of "car parts" has an engine or gearbox installed, it forevermore becomes a "car" from that point on, even if later disassembled. So, assuming that information was correct, attempting to bring in a chassis that you know had come from a "car" as defined above would most likely be viewed in a negative light by the NHTSA. Or so I believe.

Thanks Sean. As usual, this seems really ambiguous to me. For example, would this not imply that any used part that has ever come into contact with a running car is not legal to bring in? My understanding of the wording was more a case of: stripping a car down in the host country, shipping parts separately and then reassembling it to recreate the car on these shores.

The chassis has a VIN stamped on it, a fender (or whatever other used part example you want) doesn't.