Registering R500 SV

jimh3063

Gents:

I just took delivery of a Caterham R500 RV. I shipped the motor and chassis from the UK separately.

No issue with customs but I don't have a title. Any idea the best way to register. It's in Fl now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

How many does the Caterham RV sleep:)? Sorry, just being a wise guy, congrats on your awesome new Caterham! I will let the experts chime in on registration, but I dont see how this is any different than any other Caterham.

I was assuming that this was a used chassis and motor that came over without Title. So I could be way off base with my prior comment. If I am mistaken I apologize for my comments. I imported my first Caterham in Kit form New from Caterham with the engine coming in separately. I don't think I had a title but a did have a bill of sale from Caterham. Had to get it titled by the State.

Again my apologies for my wise ass comments. Tom

If the car was originally registered out of the U.S., and is less than 25 years old, you will likely have problems with multiple agencies. If you provide, or have provided, false info to get the car into the country the government shutdown could be a blessing for you. Or, you will be in a massive world of hurt.

If it has never been registered before, and arrived in the US as parts (kit), you should have a Manufacturer's Statement (or Certificate) of Origin. Take that, and all your receipts for parts, assembly, etc to your state licencing agency. You might want to call them first to confirm exactly what you need because each state is very different.

Good luck.

Guys - I am not sure its a great idea to debate legality of actions under Federal law in an open forum... Its worse to speculate what Jimmy did based on the limited information in his initial posting.

I am not going to touch what happened prior to the UK. There are past posts on this forum, including a very good one where Sean chimed in on car vs kit importation and USCIS rules/views.

If it was imported as a kit itno the US then you will have the kit import paperwork from USCIS.

Lucky Dawg is spot on - ideally you should have an MSO/MCO from Caterham if it is a normal kit import. Its not unusual to not have one if it is a UK kit purchased second hand and then imported as a kit prior to any form of construction. Depending on pedigree of this kit that may be as simple as requesting from Caterham or may not be available in the example of a second hand kit (stored for some years in a garage). In the memorable words of Sean, a kit is like losing virginity. Once the engine and transmission are in then it will never regain its kit virginity and will always be called a car.

Fortunately, you are in FL. You could title and register anything there from what I have observed over the years. Take your purchase paperwork, kit import paperwork, engine/drivetrain paperwork, multiple forms of ID and see what you can negotiate in FL for title and registration. It may take 2 hours but there are good betting odds you will walk out with a title and registration in the name of a Caterham. Different DMV offices were somewhat different If not then you default to plan B - whatever that is based on your discussions with FL.

...Fortunately, you are in FL. You could title and register anything there from what I have observed over the years. Take your purchase paperwork, kit import paperwork, engine/drivetrain paperwork, multiple forms of ID and see what you can negotiate in FL for title and registration. It may take 2 hours but there are good betting odds you will walk out with a title and registration in the name of a Caterham. Different DMV offices were somewhat different If not then you default to plan B - whatever that is based on your discussions with FL.

I will add my dated (2007) experience in FL, but also Croc's statement about different DMV offices applies: FL requires that to register a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" the owner must provide documentation that the parts were separately purchased, and not purchased as a constructed vehicle. See another thread where Croc describes "Caterham USA" and "Rocky Mountain Sportscars Incorporated" as separate--but in adjoining buildings--sources for the chassis and the engine. You must state that YOU assembled the vehicle, but you can hire as much "help" as you want. FL will accept a prior registration, for parts of the vehicle--and it can ease the process--but still you must have at least two sources for the parts. You cannot just go to any FL DMV--it must be one of the DMVs with an assigned vehicle inspection officer--in the case of Pensacola in 2007 that was a uniformed (and armed!) State Trooper who will verify the VIN, and in theory at least, ensure seatbelts, windshield wipers, etc.

Good luck with the process.

Taber