Avon ZZR 333 Compound

BlakeJ

Any comment on difference between the 333 and the A24 compound? Is the 333 in between the A24 and A64 or is it even softer than the A24?

This is what Avon says, which is a little vague, but suggests that the A24 is still softest.

• Medium Hard (A64) - A Circuit spec compound also ideal for track day or dry weather fast road use.
  • Medium Soft (A24) - Ideal for sprint / hill climb use.
  • Medium Soft - Extreme (333) - A thermally optimised compound specific for circuit use. Developed for no compromise maximum performance and reduced lap times.
Edited by KnifeySpoony

Never heard of the 333 compound.  Will be needing a new set of tires after Brands Hatch GP in mid-September as I got 4 days out of this set of A24s, so will try the 333 compound for 4 days at Spa in early October or Donington/Oulton/Anglesey 2 weeks after that.  

Has anyone experimented with a mixed setup with compounds (ex. 333 compound on the front and a24 on the rear - to combat slight penchant for under steer ). Or is that throwing in too many additional variables to dial in the handling ?  

7 hours ago, KnifeySpoony said:

How many days you think you will get out of them? 

I suspect to perhaps get 5 or 6 days out of the 333’s. I’m having them remounted after 3 days to avoid burning through the outer shoulder. 

I ordered a set of 333s. The guy at Roger Kraus seemed to think that they are faster than the A24 but wear better. Life should be somewhere in between the A24 and A64. He said they really need heat, so was worried a bit when I told him I drive to/from track. He told me to be careful lol. I guess I'll find out. Also, RIP my wheel bearings...

• 2 weeks later...

I have all 3 compounds - A64/24/333. From my experience so far I would select based on track temperature. Here in the deep south, A24 and 333 compounds basically melt in the heat, but the A64 holds up well. All 3 are poor in the wet, especially if there is standing water, in drying/crossover conditions they are good.

23 hours ago, KnifeySpoony said:

Did you heat cycle them prior to first full session/race? These feel so soft I think they may benefit from a proper heat cycle.

No, didn't think I'd need to for a 7 lap sprint race, but you're right it would help some. 

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a day at Brands Hatch on the GP circuit last Thursday with a fresh set of ZZRs in the 333 compound.  Like them.  Similar to the A24 compound - so much so I really could not tell the difference and had to check the side wall.  Lovely 4 wheel rotation from pit straight through paddock - really good for confidence everywhere.  Loads of grip through Hawthorn, Wesfield and Sheene - really good turn in on full throttle. 

One bit of news I heard - Avon will no longer be supplying the Caterham UK race series next year and all race teams are expecting supply will disappear for a time as a result of production transition.  I will buy and store and extra set(s) of the ZZR (either A24 or 333) as my dry tire.  If the ZZS disappears then I will shift to a set of Toyos for the wet.  The Toyos are definitely a lot slower (and heavier) than the ZZR and about the same as the ZZS.  All the teams are scrambling for options, I am just going to buy a year or two by storing some sets.  By then a suitable alternative will have been sorted out by the various race teams and I can start using that or Avon will be back to supplying.  

1 hour ago, Croc said:

Spent a day at Brands Hatch on the GP circuit last Thursday with a fresh set of ZZRs in the 333 compound.  Like them.  Similar to the A24 compound - so much so I really could not tell the difference and had to check the side wall.  Lovely 4 wheel rotation from pit straight through paddock - really good for confidence everywhere.  Loads of grip through Hawthorn, Wesfield and Sheene - really good turn in on full throttle. 

One bit of news I heard - Avon will no longer be supplying the Caterham UK race series next year and all race teams are expecting supply will disappear for a time as a result of production transition.  I will buy and store and extra set(s) of the ZZR (either A24 or 333) as my dry tire.  If the ZZS disappears then I will shift to a set of Toyos for the wet.  The Toyos are definitely a lot slower (and heavier) than the ZZR and about the same as the ZZS.  All the teams are scrambling for options, I am just going to buy a year or two by storing some sets.  By then a suitable alternative will have been sorted out by the various race teams and I can start using that or Avon will be back to supplying.  

We’re your target hot temps 25psi still?

At Road Atlanta this weekend, some notes so far...

333 is about 4mph faster on corners compared to A64 with similar track temps from yesterday.

333 tire wear seems good which is a surprise.

333 tire pressures rise rapidly - cold pressures were set to 21psi, after 5 laps LR=27psi, RR=26psi, LF=26psi, RF=23psi. This was morning 8:30am, so temps were low, air temp 60F. Will try cold temps set to 19psi.

Good feel, very predictable.

So far I heart 333s.

• Like 1