SV Test Fit - Michigan

MOS6502

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums and to Caterhams from a practical standpoint. I am currently talking with one of the domestic retailers to reserve a build slot with Caterham, but am finding it very hard to determine which size options I would need. Right now I am currently leaning toward an SV, but - at 5'8", am not sure whether I would want/need the lowered floors. If there is anyone out there who is semi-local to the Detroit area that would be willing to let me sit in their SV Cat, I would really appreciate it!

Cheers!

At your size I think you would best fit in an S3 with standard floors. Personally, I wouldn't go SV unless I needed the boot space or fuel capacity. But I agree a test fit in various cars will tell you what you need to know. Hopefully there will be someone in your neck of the woods.

I appreciate that insight! Honestly I was leaning more toward the SV because I have a pretty broad chest - so I was thinking I would appreciate the extra width of the SV.

And yeah, I hope I can find someone too! Cats seem to be few and far between around here.

Which type of seats were you planning on speccing? If you do the Tilletts, the SV has a wider seat which may be necessary if you have wide hips. I am 6'1" and thin but I barely fit in the S3-sized tillett's. If you do the leather seats, then you will have more space. Another consideration is pedal spacing. S3 pedal box is comically narrow and requires small feet or racing shoes. If you want to drive in sneakers, then SV would be more flexible. 

Definitely no lowered floor needed.  You would be too low otherwise. 

SV is useful if you plan touring (and want a slightly roomier cockpit), have big feet, or want the wider B6 style Tillets that can fit in there. 

Its an important decision, so if no one turns up locally then consider making a flight to do a test fit where you can try on both S3 and SV for size.  Did you check the USA7s community map to see if anyone has listed themselves in your neck of the woods?

I’m in Canton. My car is a Series 3 chassis with the long cockpit and old style seats. 
You are welcome to come over and sit in the car. Unfortunately, driving (the real hook that will get you to buy one) is out at this time of the year. 

006 13.jpeg

Not sure if you are using time machines in Chaffee ny for your import. Just spoke with Greg over there and he has an s3 and an sv on-site. My 420 sv non lowered floors with leather seats should be arriving there in a few weeks. That’s probably 5 hours away.  Happy to pass along his info if it’s helpful. 

Thanks everyone for the points to consider and to @MoBoost for volunteering your car!

@CBuff thanks for letting me know! I am talking to Greg for my purchase, and I actually just called him and confirmed that he has both the S3 and SV so I will be making the trek out there to take a look at the cars hes got onsite.

Appreciate it you guys!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MOS6502 said:

Thanks everyone for the points to consider and to @MoBoost for volunteering your car!

@CBuff thanks for letting me know! I am talking to Greg for my purchase, and I actually just called him and confirmed that he has both the S3 and SV so I will be making the trek out there to take a look at the cars hes got onsite.

Appreciate it you guys!

Our bill is in the mail for our consultation services. 

• Haha 1

Hahaha! I'll keep an eye out for it!

But if any of y'all are ever out my way with your Cars, def shoot me a message on here - beers are on me!