Head and Neck Restraint Devices

Posted (edited)

Accepting that head neck restraint devices are a good idea for HPDE & track driving. I have not used one before and a quick search reveals the typical 1x-5x price range with various styles, whistles & bells. 

What advice & comments do folks have regarding model selection, fitment & personal preferences for a first time shopper?

Addendum: FWIW I have Schroth 6 point. 2" webbing. But interested in general comments as well.

On 6/30/2024 at 6:19 AM, Croc said:

...  is mandating all participants at their events must use a recognized head neck restraint system.  This includes brands such as HANS, Simpson Hybrid and the like.  This policy includes any guest/visitor drivers.  This is a change from prior year events.  

Edited by wemtd
harness specifics

Do you have a 4 or 5/6 point harness? 2 or 3 inch shoulder straps?

The hybrid style is popular because you can use it with a traditional seatbelt if you ever track something that doesn't have a multi point harness.

I'd recommend trying some on as well. I don't think my neck is fat but found a large hans fit my frame more comfortably. I believe hans is meant to work with 2" shoulder straps but it's been a while since I have researched the various options.

It really depends on the mounting posts, how much neck movement you're comfortable with etc.

I've used HANS Zero before, but wasn't happy with the neck movement I was getting. It was too restricting and I couldn't turn my head at all.

I went to a necksgen which I found lighter and easier to clip/unclip. Plus it gives me about an inch or so on each side which let's me see through the corners.

I am also shopping for one. I think originally they were only designed for 2” shoulder straps. They now accept the 3” straps although I believe some are specifically designed for 2” and some for 3”.  When I got my Schroth harness they said the 3” were compatible with hans.  

the mounting location also effects it. Some cars have the harness mounted too far apart in the shoulders to get the belts to seat correctly on the hans.  I think my caterham 420 has additional mounting holes that are closer together but I haven’t taken the boot cover off to check.  Personally I think I am going with a Simpson hybrid sport so the interaction with the should straps is less critical.  I have a call into Simpson with some questions. One of which is the certification.  They have the option for fia over the standard sfi (for $69 addt) dollars.  It doesn’t seem to make a difference for the track (at least njmp). But not sure if the fia gives you more time or the ability to recertify vs the standard sfi rating.  I also noticed on the Simpson hybrid - the fia cert doesn’t allow you to have SAS (loops that attach to you lap belts) while the sfi does.  Will update when I get answers to that. 

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/head_and_neck_restraints/hybrid/hybrid_sport/parts/HSMED11M61FIA

I was also looking at the Schroth SHR flex. Much less expensive and since it’s the same brand as my harness no issues there. Can work with a variety of seat angles. And it has higher shoulder harness retainers. 
https://www.schrothracing.com/item/shr-flex/devices

The process I went through was:

1) Read the different product literature to compare how and when each was effective, for example, head on impacts versus oblique or side impacts.

2) I printed out the installation instructions to see what worked or did not work with my various cars.  HANS is quite specific on how it should be fitted with your harnesses.  The Hybrid was more flexibile (for me anyway)with the range of different cars I drive.  Many Caterhams have belt mounting holes that are unsuitable for HANS requiring new mount points to be created.  More recent chassis do not seem to have this problem but you need to check your own car to confirm.  No point buying a product and ignoring the harness mount points or width of harness. 

3) I tried each on for comfort and range of movement of neck and simulating driving.  

4) Confirmed my helmet posts would work on the product I preferred. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giraffecaster said:

The hybrid style is popular because you can use it with a traditional seatbelt if you ever track something that doesn't have a multi point harness.

Interestingly, HANS claims they are the only frontal head restraint that works with a three point harnesses.  Takes a bit of research to sort out the competing claims.

You have to be careful what you google on this topic. I keep getting Hans - “international superstar, accordionist and home wrecker”

IMG_4744.thumb.jpeg.38ead75657eed0059773cf66d78670e7.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Croc said:

Interestingly, HANS claims they are the only frontal head restraint that works with a three point harnesses.  Takes a bit of research to sort out the competing claims.

My understanding is the Simpson brand hybrid system works with a traditional car retractable shoulder seatbelt (and 4/5/6 point). The Hans brand with the stiff design that extends down to your chest should be used with dual shoulder harnesses. Simpson and Hans are two brands sold under the same company. 

The one thing I remembered strongly when trying on hans devices was feeling like $400 or whatever it is now for the plastic, really felt like the company was printing money for the materials involved.