New 310R Coolant Issue

Randy Flowers

Hey yall

Another new issue just popped up.  I noticed today that there was no coolant showing in the reservoir in the nosecone area. This is the first time I noticed the coolant being low. So, 2 questions:

1) There is no coolant leak that I am aware of. Also, the engine hasn't been getting too warm.   How do I best track down why it is now low?

2) I am pretty sure the original coolant in the reservoir was blue.  The owner's guide is specifically pointing to only using their recommended coolant (Motul which can only be ordered from overseas). 

Given that we are in the USA, what can I easily order (Amazon?) for coolant?

I will need to top it up again enough to get it over to my mechanic friend's garage so he can figure out what is going on.  Right now, the car is parked in its storage unit.  So, I will need some sort of coolant put in for that and don't want to put in something that I shouldn't put in it.

I have never personally changed/flushed (or bled) coolant before (my Miatas over the last 3 decades have never lost coolant that I can remember), so I am learning on this subject for sure. 

I definitely do not want to burn the new Ford Sigma engine up!

Thanks!
Randy

My car is a 2020 310R (Ford Sigma engine). 

Here is the recommended coolant (and the only coolant listed at the Caterham parts site), but it is currently out of stock...

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/158-coolant

The coolant is due to be flushed (car is 4 years old), so we could use a totally new coolant and not need to worry about mixing it with whatever is in there now.  I would strongly prefer something that I can either order easily on Amazon or get at the local Auto parts store in Oregon.  Just want to know which exact coolant that I can get in the USA easily going forward.

I can get this kind of Motul 50/50 coolant, is it completely fine going forward, especially if we flush the coolant and don't mix it with whatever kind of coolant is currently in the system?

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-109533-Motocool-Expert-1lt/dp/B08DTZD9LJ/ref=asc_df_B08DTZD9LJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=692875362841&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14298195301580668345&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033094&hvtargid=pla-2281435177618&psc=1&mcid=663da278f7a3304d9a6bd6e48026d3d1&hvocijid=14298195301580668345-B08DTZD9LJ-&hvexpln=73

Randy

My 2023 Duratec was filled with motocraft yellow I believe. It is easily available. If you are doing a replacement / flush I think you’re pretty good with any of their products. It’s just mixing that can be tricky.  

• Thanks 2

https://caterhamcars.com/assets/Documents/Owner-Downloads/Owners-Handbook-All-Models_2023_ED1.2.pdf

page 23 - says you need between 4-5.5L depending on which motor/options.  it also only lists the MOTUL stuff as the "correct" fluid, but i'm in the same boat, seems like that isn't available anywhere. i'm going with the motorcraft yellow for mine. 

• Thanks 1

I called and talked to Caterham Parts in the UK a few days ago and he said to not mix coolant types, and that it was OK to just put distilled water in it to top it back up.  He also said for putting a new coolant type in, any OAT type 50/50 would be good going forward. 

I put in 2.5 cups of distilled water today and saw no leaks at all when running the Seven for a bit.  I am taking it over to my mechanic's house tomorrow to check it out better and figure out why I lost a few cups of fluid.

How about this for the new coolant to use when we do a coolant flush in a few months (Motorcraft Yellow 50/50 with POAT tech)?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/motorcraft/oil--chemicals---fluids/antifreeze/antifreeze---coolant---vehicle-specific/df3a6469dc0a/motorcraft-1-gallon-yellow-50-50-antifreeze-coolant/mot0/vc13dlg?pos=56