pethier Posted September 21 Posted September 21 93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah? Looking for 93 Octane Gasoline for a trip out to Salt Lake Cit and not finding online any record of 93 Octane gasoline along the way.
Carz01 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 I use the Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org and found it pretty accurate. You can check cities along your route.
pethier Posted September 21 Author Posted September 21 1 hour ago, Carz01 said: I use the Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org and found it pretty accurate. You can check cities along your route. That site is concerned with gasoline that does not contain ethanol.
Silber Posted September 21 Posted September 21 The website does list one station with 93: Miller's Travel Plaza - Chevron 2410 West Main, Tremonton UT 435-257-7249 But most of our gas stations here in Utah just sell 91 octane or lower, and I can't think of any that I frequent that have 93.
Carz01 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 1 hour ago, pethier said: That site is concerned with gasoline that does not contain ethanol. That’s true, but it does list various octane ratings available
m2711c Posted September 21 Posted September 21 Ya needs yerself some octane improver… https://vpracingfuels.com/products/octanium-vp-octane-booster?srsltid=AU7gw4U-nQzf3LycAYr8uPInM1nzCc184GXiGL8nHO6YSjbggulCNsF4 it’s got Octanium! fact.
pethier Posted September 21 Author Posted September 21 1 hour ago, Carz01 said: That’s true, but it does list various octane ratings available The Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org shows one 93-octane station in WY and one in UT, both far away from I-80. The problem here is that the listings for octane on that site should be be for non-oxy gasoline. For this trip, I don't care if it is non-oxy, I just need the 93 octane. Any number of stations could sell 93-octane oxygenated gasoline, but only would show up on the list as 93 if they sold non-oxygenated 93-octane gasoline
wdb Posted September 21 Posted September 21 https://www.toptiergas.com/ That will show stations with good gas, not necessarily the octane you want.
pethier Posted September 22 Author Posted September 22 For several reasons, including saving money on fuel, I am brInging a substitute to the LOG/LUG:
Carz01 Posted Thursday at 05:32 PM Posted Thursday at 05:32 PM I was pondering why the lack of high octane on the route, and think the reason 93 Octane doesn’t exist on the route is probably due to the altitude of I-80 above sea level. I-80 varies from 4,000 to 7,000 feet, so at 4,000 feet 93 octane converts to an equivalent octane of 91, and at 7,000 it’s 89.5.
7Westfield Posted Thursday at 11:33 PM Posted Thursday at 11:33 PM I-80 is about 1250 feet in Lincoln
panamericano Posted Thursday at 11:42 PM Posted Thursday at 11:42 PM For a normally aspirated engine, you lose about 5% power per 1000 feet of elevation. So, combustion chamber pressures and temperatures are lower. At sea level we ran 105 or avgas. At a few thousand feet and over, any 90+ was fine. Never harmed an engine.
panamericano Posted Thursday at 11:45 PM Posted Thursday at 11:45 PM Anyway, a can (half?) of octane booster is cheap insurance. Where's the petrochemical specialist? Choosing the booster is another argument.
pethier Posted Friday at 05:49 AM Author Posted Friday at 05:49 AM None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley. San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level
7Westfield Posted Friday at 12:32 PM Posted Friday at 12:32 PM 6 hours ago, pethier said: None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley. San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level because you don't drive the type of car Gavin & Co like LOL
wdb Posted Friday at 02:20 PM Posted Friday at 02:20 PM 8 hours ago, pethier said: None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley. San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level Because Kalifornia doesn't allow gas stations to sell it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now