-
Posts
1,062 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by pethier
-
Reminds me that when I had my Europa the preload was 90 ft-pounds. Caused massive understeer in autocross events where the traction was not first-rate. I put in a full bottle of Slick-50 ManTran and it dropped to 20. much-more drivable. I am having the Drexler set to zero on the overrun on my CSR 260.
-
I hope to have more luck with the Sierra/Drexler/4.71 I'm having made up in Kent for my CSR 260. I'll keep the Quaiffe/3.62 on the shelf in case my heirs sell the car to a big-track driver.
-
Lotus United Gathering 2026 - 24-28 September, 2026
pethier replied to Silber's topic in National Events
It was better if you had thunder and lightning and high winds. We had none of those at the track while I was still there. What we had was rain. Short periods of no rain. The autocross line was drying when they shut down the driving courses for lunch. Sure as fate, the rain started up again after the lunch break. I ran some more autocross, shared some runs with a young man in a newer Lotus. There was a spot to shoot some panning shots of the big track with a roof over my head, so I got the real camera out. When the rain started to get really serious in the late afternoon I packed up and headed back to the hotel. I drove out of the heavy rain as I went east towards Salt Lake City. Part of the drive was was remarkably dry. I don't remember seeing any lightning in my mirrors, so maybe they escaped severe weather for the last few track sessions. Going towards the city at rush hour was OK, there was only one serious traffic backup and it did not last that long. When I reached the hotel, there was light rain. The @toldfield Seven was in the car park ready to travel. He later hailed me to join "toldfield et al" for supper. They all had interesting stories to tell. The iPhone picture taken from inside KMAN 2.9 makes it look a lot more bright and cheery than it really was... -
A third one showed up at the Funkhana:
-
Photo credit: Phil Ethier
-
-
You guys are going the other way from me. I am having 4.71 gears put in my CSR. It has the close-ratio 6-speed. This will give me a better launch and a nice selection of gears for autocross. I don't need to go faster than 117 MPH. I can cruise in my other Caterham with the full hood and the wide-ratio gears in the T9 5-speed. Much-lower first and an overdrive fifth.
-
93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah?
pethier replied to pethier's topic in General Sevens Discussion
None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley. San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level -
Lotus United Gathering 2026 - 24-28 September, 2026
pethier replied to Silber's topic in National Events
Monday there is a track day and open autocross practice at 512 Sheep Ln, Erda, UT 84074 https://www.utahmotorsportscampus.com/ Dunno if you can register to drive, but I think you can get in the door to spectate. Of course you need to sign a waiver. I will be there to run autocross runs. I am actually driving KMAN 2.9 instead of one of my Sevens. White Porsche Cayman. The deal as I understand it is that all folks who paid for the track day AND all of us who only paid for the autocross can just line up and take runs all day. No work sessions, no classes, no trophies, just drive all day. I will be letting folks ride along on the autocross runs. Other folks may let you ride along on the big track. If you have a Snell helmet, bring it. I know they require an SA helmet for the big track, not sure if they care if it is a Snell M helmet for the the autocross course. In any case, I think you can rent an SA helmet for 25 bucks. I'm getting a lunch as part of my fee for the autocross. I don't think there is a concession stand at the track, so bring a lunch. I should have some snacks with me. There will be Lotus folks there, as this is basically an add-on day for the LOG/LUG. Last year in PA, there were at least three Caterhams in the autox practice day and all of us took riders. Send me a private message here on USA7s for my cellphone number. -
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
pethier replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
Yokohama Advan A052. That's a ZERO after the A. Does not need a bunch of laps of a racetrack to heat up. On ordinary cars, they wear quickly. Not a problem on Sevens. The CSR 260 I bought has Toyo R888 tires on it. Next Spring, they will be heading to recycling. I took the CSR to a few autocross events, a couple regular events and one high-speed event. The guys in tin-tops and Miatas were spraying their tires to cool them. The R888 tires on my CSR were still at ambient temperature and did not give me the traction I was looking for. Because of my experiences with the Yokohama Advan A052 tires on an Elise and some Sevens, I plan to have fresh Yokos on the CSR. On both the Elise and the Sevens, I found them great for both autocross and street. At the high-speed event, I thought I was being conservative, but a worker at the end of the longest straight was calling me "The Late-braking King". He says I was braking much later than the other drivers in the session he was working. That's because those other guys didn't have a Seven... I can hardly wait to get this car set up and on the Yokos. -
93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah?
pethier replied to pethier's topic in General Sevens Discussion
-
93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah?
pethier replied to pethier's topic in General Sevens Discussion
The Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org shows one 93-octane station in WY and one in UT, both far away from I-80. The problem here is that the listings for octane on that site should be be for non-oxy gasoline. For this trip, I don't care if it is non-oxy, I just need the 93 octane. Any number of stations could sell 93-octane oxygenated gasoline, but only would show up on the list as 93 if they sold non-oxygenated 93-octane gasoline -
93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah?
pethier replied to pethier's topic in General Sevens Discussion
That site is concerned with gasoline that does not contain ethanol. -
93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah? Looking for 93 Octane Gasoline for a trip out to Salt Lake Cit and not finding online any record of 93 Octane gasoline along the way.
-
So, tell us a little about yourselves
pethier replied to slngsht's topic in General Sevens Discussion
My 1991 was ordered as a complete kit from Caterham with a 1700 Super Sprint crossflow engine. UK-market (Northwich, Cheshire). -
The LOG/LUG is in Salt Lake City.
-
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
pethier replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
No-reserve auction. There was nothing to stop a legit bidder from bidding to win the auction. BAT auctions don't really have a fixed end time. They hold the final award for two minutes until there are no other bidders. -
The Regular Summary of Classified Ads of Se7ens Found For Sale
pethier replied to Croc's topic in Cars For Sale
If you think THAT was cheap, how about this Stalker? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-brunton-stalker/ -
I have consigned the Birkin to Unique Classic Cars in Mankato Minnesota. I am not advertising the car: They will handle everything.
-
My CSR 260 had the pump on the right in your photo. It failed. The replacement called out in this thread had the two male "spades" like the one on the left in your photo. My solution was to take a pair of diagonal cutters to the plastic on the harness. I nibbled away all of the plastic housing until the two female spades were free. I plugged them to the male spades, wide to wide and narrow to narrow. i did not have to cut and repair wires, just make the plastic housing on the harness side go away. I did not have to make any changes to the pump side.
-
Thanks.
-
-
-
Is the storm cap or rain cap? My storm cap for the SLR cage fits around the boot cover
