Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

93 Octane Gasoline along I-80 in western Wyoming and in Utah?

 

Looking for 93 Octane Gasoline for a trip out to Salt Lake Cit and not finding online any record of 93 Octane gasoline along the way.

Posted
1 hour ago, Carz01 said:

I use the Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org and found it pretty accurate. You can check cities along your route.

That site is concerned with gasoline that does not contain ethanol.

Posted

The website does list one station with 93:

 

Miller's Travel Plaza - Chevron

2410 West Main, Tremonton UT

435-257-7249

 

But most of our gas stations here in Utah just sell 91 octane or lower, and I can't think of any that I frequent that have 93.

Posted
1 hour ago, pethier said:

That site is concerned with gasoline that does not contain ethanol.

That’s true, but it does list various octane ratings available 

Posted
1 hour ago, Carz01 said:

That’s true, but it does list various octane ratings available 

The Pure Gas site, https://www.pure-gas.org shows one 93-octane station in WY and one in UT, both far away from I-80.

 

The problem here is that the listings for octane on that site should be be for non-oxy gasoline.  For this trip, I don't care if it is non-oxy, I just need the 93 octane.  Any number of stations could sell 93-octane oxygenated gasoline, but only would show up on the list as 93 if they sold non-oxygenated 93-octane gasoline

Posted

For several reasons, including saving money on fuel, I am brInging a substitute to the LOG/LUG:

 

 

IMG_2220 KMAN 29 with slogan .jpg

Posted

I was pondering why the lack of high octane on the route, and think the reason 93 Octane doesn’t exist on the route is probably due to the altitude of I-80 above sea level. 

I-80 varies from 4,000 to 7,000 feet, so at 4,000 feet 93 octane converts to an equivalent octane of 91, and at 7,000 it’s 89.5.

Posted

For a normally aspirated engine, you lose about 5% power per 1000 feet of elevation.  So, combustion chamber pressures and temperatures are lower.  At sea level we ran 105 or avgas.  At a few thousand feet and over, any 90+ was fine.  Never harmed an engine.

Posted

Anyway, a can (half?) of octane booster is cheap insurance.  Where's the petrochemical specialist?  Choosing the booster is another argument. 

Posted

None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley.  San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level

Posted
6 hours ago, pethier said:

None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley.  San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level

because you don't drive the type of car Gavin & Co like  LOL

Posted
8 hours ago, pethier said:

None of this explains why I could not find 93 in Silicon Valley.  San Jose is at 82 feet, and in some places, sea-level

 

Because Kalifornia doesn't allow gas stations to sell it. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...