Information On different models?

Hiya, I'm taking the baby steps on my way to having my own 7! Looking at the official site I see the four main models, (Seven Classic, Seven CSR, Seven SV, and the Seven SCCA) Now I can read there website on the differences and I'm still not sure based off them 4 choices but to confuse matters seems like some dealers have there own version of the 7. I don't even know where to begin on those. So is there a list of all the models and the pro and cons of each? Really for me its between the CSR and the SV. Also when it comes to engines, I'm thinking I'd use the Ford Zetec tough I'm open to other options. For transmissions it says i can use the Ford unit but is not the ford unit a FWD tranny? Ohh and I'd differently want to build it my self!

Thanks for your time :)

I assume you mean the Caterham USA website.

The main differences lie in the chassis. Currently there are following Caterham Chassis:

- S3

This is the small chassis with DeDion rear axle. The Caterham Classic and the Caterham SCCA is based upon it.

The Classic comes without engine and transmission while the SCCA is already equipped with a Zetec and has some racing parts such as a roll cage instead of rollbar, honeycomb panels, race tank etc.

- SV

This is a chassis similar to the S3 but increased in its dimensions. That means it has still the DeDion rear axle.

- CSR

This is the chassis that comes with the CSR200 and CSR260. It has roughly the dimensions of the SV chassis but it has IRS instead of a DeDion axle. The CSR is mostly (outside the USA: always) equipped with the Ford Cosworth Duratec 2.3L engine.

The transmissions you can use is the Ford T9 or the Caterham transmission. If you buy a Zetec together with a FWD transmission you have to throw away the transmission and use the T9 or Caterham transmission instead.

Well locostv8 I'd build from a kit, And thanks HPC that clears up alot. It still leaves me with the question is the CSR worth the extra money for me. Also i see people talk about Superlight alot, where does this fit in?

Superlight means it is equipped with wings, seats, dashboard and nose from CF and a wind deflector instead of a windscreen in order to make the car lighter. It hasn't directly to do with the chassis or the engine.

Concerning the CSR. IRS makes the ride smoother but brings a bit more weight. I prefer the S3 chassis though because it is smaller and nimbler (my HPC has an S3 chassis). Of course the Cosworth engine makes the CSR a true rocket.

Edit: Some Superlights have indeed windscreens.

The real way to decide is to get a standard chassis and a SV next to each other and sit in each - figure out if you need the extra room the SV provides. Perhaps you should contact the Cat dealer in Delaware. He may have one of each handy for you to compare.

If not, I know there are examples of each in the DC area. If you offer the owners a beer...

Demo, I have a Caterham Superlight in the Philly area if you'd like to have an upclose look. I built mine in 2000. I'd be glad to give you a ride as well.

As HPC points out, the superlight was a spec, that included certain options, and the addition of other weight added parts was at the cost of adding weight. Paint for example was an option. I speced my Superlight with a windscreen (needed in Pa for inspection), a heater, (don't bother) and Clamshell wings up front. It weighs in a svelt 1164 pounds. Tom

That would be great yellowss7 I'm kinda a big guy so I'm sure the SV would be in order. One thing I'm 100% sure about is the snap on roof and full wind windscreen. yellowss7 by Clamshell wings you mean the cycle fenders right?

Clamshells are the more traditional long fenders attached to the body.

Cycle Fenders are like those on a motorcycle front wheel...conforming to the wheel's shape.

Mostly, shorthand for them is "Clams" and "Cycles"

As in "My old Cat had cycles, but I'm seriously jonesing for some retro clams."

The funny thing is that while clams may look more traditional, the original Lotus Seven (Series 1) had cycle fenders.

---

Opinion: Aesthetics aside, clams have some aero-issues at speed BUT they are nice because you can slap pretty much as wide a tire on there as you want...with my old car, if you wanted to run 15" wheels/tires...you were pretty much at the limit (195/45) since the cycle fender sat so close to the wheel/tire. i could have gone down to 13" to go wider, of course, but none of this is an issue with clams..

Nope!!! Clams are clams, cycles are cycles. You'd be surprised at how big you can be and still fit in a standard S3 vs the Sumo Version.

Here's a pic of the clams. I'm in Media btw.

http://usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1686475473_fall 07.JPG

Clams also allow you to fit wider tyres too.:)

http://usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1665474106_DSC_6349 boeing july 06.jpg

Also, I hear less schtuff gets flung into the cockpit with clams as opposed to cycles. Especially with sticky tires. Or so I've heard, but it seems logical.

Go to Rocky Mountain Sports Cars website via Google. They have a bunch of car mag tests of the various Caterham models.

Be aware that there many other types of Sevens out there besides the Caterham version. See the links section of this forum for a list of some of the more popular.

I know the focus here is frequently on outright performance. I have found that much of the "thrill" of a seven is not speed based but is a combo of wind, sound, sights and smell, all of which are different in a Seven with the "doors" and top off than in anything else with 4 wheels. My Miata wasnt even close. Its diminutive size also provides a unique perspective on the world.

Also due to the minimal weight, and handling prowess, even a minimally powered car like mine can do quite well. I have no trouble staying with a friend's lightly race prepped '97 BMW M coupe at the track.

Do you love attention? Hopefully you do because the car draws crowds. Yesterday I looked out my window at my car in the parking lot next to my office and saw a comely young thing draped over my Caterham while her boyfriend took her photo. When was the last time that happened to one of your cars? I think I got a bigger charge out of it than they did.

Anyhow, don't be in a rush and enjoy the hunt. But don't wait 44 years like I did, that really was too long:).

Mike

Hi Brad,:seeya: Were you also known as Yankee... on another forum? Is your seven yellow too? If so, a few years back I drove out to your place in a Lingenfelter Tahoe and you gracioulsy let me take your seven for a spin. (My neck still hurts from sitting in the passenger seat with the petty strut in place.:rofl:

To answer your question. I run the Hoosier R25A slicks in size 20.0 x 9.0 x 13 they are the C3000 model. Still sticky going on their third season.

Yankeedoodoo on Blatchat. You did take my 7 for spin a few years back whilst shagging some fun time from a business shindig.

Have you ever tried the Hoosier A6 cantilevered sidewall tires? A friend uses them to good effect on his AutoX 7. I like the idea of your tires lasting into a third season versus 30-70 laps; hence my question.

Also, what sort of cars get TTOD in your region and how do you fare against them?

Yankeedoodoo on Blatchat. You did take my 7 for spin a few years back whilst shagging some fun time from a business shindig.

Have you ever tried the Hoosier A6 cantilevered sidewall tires? A friend uses them to good effect on his AutoX 7. I like the idea of your tires lasting into a third season versus 30-70 laps; hence my question.

Also, what sort of cars get TTOD in your region and how do you fare against them?

he's on full slicks, i think 25A's.

http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/index.html its philly region, really the premier region on the east coast . on pax Tom is way outgunned there.

id like to head up to fortwashington as well but the weather forecast is some crazy stuff... expecting hail in some parts of our area.

EDITl:

FROM THE HOPE LODGE WEBSITE!!!!

"ALERT: The car show, originally scheduled for May 31, has been moved to June 1, due to the weather forecast."