2012 Monterey Motorsports Reunion tour

JohnCh

Next summer Hudson and I are planning to rerun the 2010 Monterey tour we did with Alaskossie. Anyone else interested in joining up for all/part of the tour or just getting together for the Motorsports Reunion weekend 8/17-8/19? Now I know it’s a little early to talk about se7en plans for August, but securing a room in the area that weekend can be a challenge, so I’m putting this out there now to give people time to consider their options.

Last year the group stayed at the Wiebe Motel in Hollister which was inexpensive, clean, and safe for the cars. Unfortunately it was also ~40 miles from Monterey, so with race traffic it took up to 2 hours to get home each day. This year, Hudson and I are planning to suck it up and pay exorbitant rates to stay in Monterey. Although it will be nice to park the cars for the night, then walk downtown for food and the auction scene, it comes at a price. Rooms effectively start at $300/night for the weekend (this is for hotels that are normally $80-$100/night). Even the really cheap places with bad reviews are closer to $250, so still stupidly expensive, and to make matters worse, many hotels are already sold out. My thinking is that folks can find their own accommodations in the area, but we’ll stick to the motels on route for the tour portion.

Click the links below for the daily route from last year. A couple of notes:

• The actual directions were done in Streets & Trips, so the links below may differ slightly from the actual route.
  • The route ends in Winthrop, but the last day is heading west on the North Cascades Highway, which is pretty stunning and filled with high speed corners. It’s about 4 hours from there to the Greater Seattle area.

Hollister to Gualala

Gualala to Willow Creek

Willow Creek to Crescent, OR

Crescent, OR to Morton, WA

Morton to Winthrop

-John

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm thinking of going. I've stayed at the Borg Hotel (Pacific Grove), to watch the GP races the last 7-8 years. They're right on the beach & don't raise their prices do to events:

http://www.borgsoceanfrontmotel.com/rates.htm

Only problem, you can't make reservations more than 6 months in advance. My friend would stay there the night before the 6 month date and get our rooms reserved that night. People were calling at mid-night!

The place is very basic but the location is ideal.

A lot more happening this weekend though. In addition to the races, there's:

• Pebble Beach Concours
  • The Quail, A Motorsport Gathering
  • Concorso Italiano
  • Legends of the Autobahn
  • Automobilia Monterey
  • ~5 major auctions

And I'm sure I'm missing a few other events. It's car overload!

-John

Tom, I anticipated your question, and asked ahead, but have bad news. Unfortunately the hospital stated that after defying the ER doctor's orders and driving your 7 to the hotel rather than taking a cab, you are persona non grata at their facility. I was also told that the donuts you performed in their parking lot before heading out -- although deeply impressive -- didn't help the situation :)

-John

• 2 months later...

Giving this a bump since we are entering the window when you really need to start thinking about hotel reservations for the Monterey portion of the tour. In case anyone needs a little convincing, here are a few pictures from the last trip.

http://john15.web.officelive.com/images/052%20-%20Copy.JPG

http://john15.web.officelive.com/images/010.JPG

http://john15.web.officelive.com/images/003%20(3).JPG

http://john15.web.officelive.com/images/road.jpg

-John

Rosie and I may be there for Saturday. We can not come on your suggested return trip because we need to be back home on Sunday. But we will likely be driving around Oregon and Idaho (maybe western Montana) a week or two before the Monterey event. Kind of a more spontaneous Sevens micro-rally (one car only). But it will take another month or so to solidify the plans...

Edited by slomove

Here is a list of events during Monterey week in case anyone needs further tempting:

Tuesday (8/14)

Automobilia Monterey - day 1

Carmel Concours on the Avenue

Wednesday (8/15)

Automobilia Monterey - day 2

Thursday (8/16)

Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance

Mecum Auction - day 1

Friday (8/17)

The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering

Concorso Italiano

Legends of the Autobahn

Pebble Beach Retro Auto - day 1

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - day 1

RM Auction - day 1

Gooding & Co Auction - day 1

Mecum Auction - day 2

Saturday (8/18)

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - day 2

Pebble Beach Retro Auto - day 2

RM Auction - day 2

Gooding & Co Auction - day 2

Mecum Auction - day 3

Sunday (8/19)

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion - day 3

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegence

Pebble Beach Retro Auto - day 3

-John

Edited by JohnCh
Updated event list

The GGLC contingent will be out for the event itself as usual - I'll post the link to buy tickets and corral passes when it comes out (typically feb/march)

RNR,

What comes with these tickets and passes? What do they typically cost? There are a few of my friends and myself starting the planning for this trip.

Skip, if it is like previous years, you get admission to the historic's and preferred parking with other Loti in a segregated lot close to the entrance. It is a good deal!

I can't remember cost but I'm sure someone else will.

John,

Another great event, which is often overlooked (and is free of charge) is the Carmel Concours on the Avenue, which will be held in downtown Carmel on Tuesday the 14th from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

CCotA site: http://www.motorclubevents.com/

General Car Week info site: http://www.seemonterey.com/concours (Skip: this one has what appears to be a reasonable hotel link)

What comes with these tickets and passes? What do they typically cost? There are a few of my friends and myself starting the planning for this trip.

They are typically ~$50 for each days entry and for an extra $10 you can get a corral pass that will let you park in the Lotus corral on sat (usually outside of T2) and the general parking on sunday. You have to be in a Lotus (or Se7en) to park in the saturday corral.

Exact details and prices will be posted next month and I'll post them here as well.

Thanks Sean, I've updated my earlier post. Skip, are you thinking about driving the Caterham to Monterey, or are you planning to fly out?

-John

I will trailer it, I can't get that far without my big liquid oxygen tanks. At the most I can carry 14 hours of O2 in the Caterham.

The truck is far more comfortable for long distance traveling. The spectre of $5 gas scares me a bit since the truck gets 11 mpg when towing the trailer.