Attention: Stolen 7, Saturday Jun 9ish

No_6

Stolen from my garage in Seattle, WA some time last night.

The car: 96' Caterham Classic live axle, yellow nose, bare aluminum body and bonnet, green clamshell wings and rear fenders, chasis # SDKLLKANSV0020637, black bench seats. 13" steel wheels, no spare, side exhaust. dual webbers, 1.7l crossflow. Other identifying features would be the ceramic coating that is flaking off the exhaust headers, missing driver-side carpet, and red 4-point driver's harness (passenger side is the stock 3-point).

Seattle Police Department, Incident #12-181124

non-emergency (206) 625-5011

online reporting: http://www.seattle.gov/police/report/default.htm

So please keep your eyes open for anyone trying to sell parts, and PM me if you have any information. Thanks!

Edited by No_6
Updated with SPD information

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post some pictures and we'll be on the alert. Especially stuff that is specific. I'm pretty sure it is being repainted about now. The stuff like the seatbelt asymmetry is the kind of thing that will give it away. They wont get away with it!

Darn, and I thought Se7ens are unstealable here in the US but I guess not every thief would know about the community dragnet.

I hope you get it back in one piece or have good insurance.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much unstealable myself. I'm guessing it's a joyride, but who knows.

Here's a few pics. The picture of the interior is out-of-date, though, as the drive shaft tunnel is now covered with carpet.

Another distinguishing feature is that the dash lights aren't current working, I had a manual choke installed, which is low on the left side, the center rear-view mirror is currently in the boot, there are two small dings in the windshield on the driver's side right at eye level that have been filled, and a couple of the adjustment knobs on the carbs have been wired so that they can't be twiddled with.... hm, and the rear shocks are brand-spanking new adjustable units.

IMG_0735.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

dscn1032_std.jpg

Edited by No_6

Thanks for all the help, guys. As far as I can tell, there are no used Caterhams for sale anywhere, and only a handful of Birkins. This really has to have been a joyride. I'm going to contact the local vintage racing club this week as well, as those would be the only guys who would by the engine parts.

I'll post on the Pac NW Corvette Forum. Do you have a police case# and department that should be called in case someone sees the car?

I do. I'll post that up when I get home. Thanks!

Where was the car stolen from exactly? What part of Seattle? I think I have seen your car before. I am up on Queen Anne.

I can't imagine there is much, if any market for a stolen Caterham here in the US. None of the parts are particularly valuable on their own.

Such an unusual car that I can't imagine someone didn't see it somewhere.

I would post on any local enthusiasts forums and regional sub-forums of national sites (NASIOC, 6speedonline.com, TheCarLounge.net etc). Thanks to the internet and Top Gear, a lot of car folks know what these are now days and would clearly remember seeing one.

Edited by supersportsp

Where was the car stolen from exactly? What part of Seattle? I think I have seen your car before. I am up on Queen Anne.

I can't imagine there is much, if any market for a stolen Caterham here in the US. None of the parts are particularly valuable on their own.

Such an unusual car that I can't imagine someone didn't see it somewhere.

I would post on any local enthusiasts forums and regional sub-forums of national sites (NASIOC, 6speedonline.com, TheCarLounge.net etc). Thanks to the internet and Top Gear, a lot of car folks know what these are now days and would clearly remember seeing one.

You probably have seen me. I'm on the south slope of Queen Anne, right on Aloha and Queen Anne Avenue. I'm surprised I haven't seen your car around. About 10-15 years ago, I remember seeing more 7's around, not just driving around, but for sale. Now there's virtually none. It's weird.

And yeah, the parts may be hard to get, but they're all relatively cheap. And what isn't cheap is proprietary, or will only fit on this car...

I reached out to Sovrn today, but my guess is that the police will find the car on the side of the road sometime in the next couple of weeks.

My apartment manager is checking the security tape (there are two cameras in the garage, one of which is almost directly across from where my car was since my spot is next to the door, and another at the exit), so it'll be interesting to see if there's anything of use.

I've posted to the PNW 6speedonline forum and also the PNW 993 owners group. I've had a car stolen before so can empathize. Hopefully this ends well.

-John