Save the date - NJ/NY/PA Sevens Annual Track Day

Croc

I will start off by apologizing for the delay in getting dates posted but Tom and I have been exploring options to improve our track experiences over the prior year.

In the past we have used SCDA to run at NJMP for the two days in late June. I explored using them this year, including getting our own run group but the dates were problematic being mid-week which I know rules out those who actually work for a living. Their cost was also a little steep for our run group (we could have hired the track on our own for 20% less cost). Separately I did explore renting the track for our exclusive use but the personal insurance risk from potential accidents was of concern to me.

Tom and I have narrowed down to two main options:

1) Wait and see what the new LTW Motorsports can schedule at NJMP. LTW is organized by Nova and WTR on this forum and their keeness for the Lotus brand is well know. If you missed the earlier post, this is a group track day group focused on sub-3000 pound cars which would seem perfect for the sevens group. They are working hard to put something together but it is not certain which dates or in which format. Maybe Nova or WTR on here can add to this post below?

2) Join the Trackdaze group which has Lightning booked for Sat June 22 and Sun June 23. From my perspective, this has the advantage of dates known, can be booked now, weekend days, and they will take us. Max run group of 25 cars. Downside is that it is at Lightning for both days but since I rarely run there I am pretty happy with that. They do apply the broomstick test for open cars but I am comfortable that we will all pass and be within the intermediate group based on our skill - no spinning on the warm up laps Karl! Speaking of Karl - I can see he has already signed up.

I can see people starting to book vacations now and we were starting to lose numbers and so it was important to get a save the date message out to you all. My strong inclination is to go for the Trackdaze event and if LTW comes up with an additional date then we join in that as well!

Please add your thoughts/reactions to the proposed options/date. :)

Also, for those that are NJMP members (or maybe should be :D) there is also a big long weekend planned on July 5, 6, and 7 (Fri to Sun) - all at Lightning. Keep your calendar free for that as well.

Edited by Croc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already scheduled to be at NJMP with SCDA on 6/24-6/25, so I'll probably pass on the Trackdaze event the prior two daze. I'd like to break her in gently and 4 days in a row is more than I'm comfortable with (yet :D ) Though I'll stop by to hang out on that Sunday.

I'd be interested in either an LTW event or a different Trackdaze event if either work out.

LTW is a group track day group focused on sub-3000 pound cars which would seem perfect for the sevens group.

Mike, wouldn't that weight restriction rule out your Fat Bastard sized 7's?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All kidding aside, now that we have a weekend option, we hope that all Seven owners in the area and those that are up for a bit of a drive/tow, can make it out for a really good event. As I said before the on track experience is a blast. NJMP has a nice facility and is a great place to get your car out on track and explore the capabilities of you car in an enviorment that is a lot safer that trying to do it on the street and The off track banter alone is worth the drive.

For those of you that don't want to track your car, there are lot of nice roads in the area. Several wineries, Atlantic City and the New Jersey shore is only about 35-40 minutes way. If some one wanted to organize a scenic drive option for those not doing the trackday, I would be glad to help coordinate routes, etc.

Last year we had 9 Caterhams on track. Croc and I are hoping that this year we can surpass that number and get 12 to 15 out for the weekend.

Taber, Box, Slingshot, Al/ Bessie,S1 Steve, Klasic69,Be there or be Square.:seeya: Tom

Decisions, decisions:)!. First: I will attend whatever event the group decides upon.

Preference: For me, the weekend makes no difference. So I like Mon, Tues with SCDA as it includes a day on T-bolt vs. Trackdaze 2 days on Lightning. And, we have done this with them 2 years in a row and know they do a great job. I have never done an event w/Trackdaze so have no thoughts on them. I do know an incompetent sponsor can screw things up (usually by booking too many cars and being totally unorganized). That doesnt seem to be likely here since T-daze limits entries to a reasonable number.

OTOH, I prefer Lighting as its so much simpler. And, if track newbies are tempted to try this, Lightning is the way to go as it is soooo much easier to learn than T-Bolt.

I wish SCDA were doing T-bolt Monday, I'd do Sunday w/T-Daze and Mon w/SCDA on T-Bolt. Like Jeffs, 4 track days is likely too much for me, and maybe for my car.

So, I will follow the group's decison and show up for whatever the consensus is, with a slight preference for SCDA.

Edited by Kitcat

Weekends are far better for me. Teackdaze is nearly identical to SCDA in tone. The weekend I attended last year was great. I think was the Saturday and Sinday before the Monday and Tuesday SCDA Seven event last year. By the end of the third day I was shot! If the main event were Sunday, people could have the best of both worlds. You can sign up for single days with both groups.

what is the cost involved? for the broomstick rule, how to you measure a ultralite? we do not have a frame type front windscreen...

Broomstick rule on a Caterham is top of roll bar forward to the front top chassis member where the bonnet meets the nose cone. I would think it is the same for you. You will clear this easily - I have seen your car before.

Trackdaze costs

• single day $285
  • early discount before May 31 $35 off
  • both days packaged together $435 ($400 after early bird discount I think).

For comparison SCDA:

• single day $295
  • both days packaged together $545
  • Book before April 24 and both days cost $491 after discount

Mon/Tues allows me to visit family over the weekend, but no real preference for me. The Trackdaze site states that there will be 5 run groups that weekend.

Steve

Edited by bball7754

Croc:

Remind me, was it 5 run groups @ SCDA there last year, or 4 ? Five is slicing and dicing the available track time pretty thinly. It mite yield four 20' on-track sessions. And, all it takes is one ''incident" and your alloted 20' on-track segment, that you waited nearly 2 hours for, is vaporized.

Croc:

Remind me, was it 5 run groups @ SCDA there last year, or 4 ?

It was 5 - they had the following groups:

- instructor

- advanced

- Intermediate 1

- Intermediate 2

- Novice

Most groups seem to crowd in 5 groups now days to make the economics work.

Ok, I'll start the list to note those who plan to attend.

DRIVING

1) Croc

2) Yellowss7

3) Bluebarisax

4) Kitcat

5) JBH

6) bball7754

7) Sabbot

SPECTATING

1) CrewsT

2) Jeffs

3) S1Steve

4) Al Navarro?

Maybes

1) EvilRome0

2) Jeffs

Edited by yellowss7

I am signing up Jack, cousin John, myself, and Al Navarro for cheerleading dutys....

New members of this totally fun club are welcome..... Get your middle finger ready

for when Tom goes by, or was that lapped.... What ever.....

ER: Both Track Daze and SCDA have a Novice section, complete w/classroom instruction and in-car instruction. It allows new drivers the opportunity to learn the track at their own pace and not be thrown in w/a bunch of Kamakasi-style drivers brandishing broomsticks at slowpokes (like Croc does:)).

As noted above, Lighting is a simple track to learrn (not to master but to at least figure out what direction the next turn points).

Since your instructor will ride with you, you need saftey belts and (usually) arm retraints for him/her as well as for you. I did this many times in my Caterham and also let the instructor drive. An additional bonus is experienced se7en participants are usually willing to take passengers and you will learn from that as well.

We all started like you, with zero track experience and taking baby steps with an instructor. Key is to check your ego at the gate (I just cant let that Yugo pass me), take your time, and slowly get comfortable with what is, initially, a very foreign atmosphere.

Hope you can make it, I guarantee you will leave a better driver, and will have fun to boot.

Edited by Kitcat