headlights and lighting question

Anyone use LED lights on their seven? I've done some research on them in general and would like to make the swap.

Also, anyone eve get harassed or a ticket for not using dot approved lights?

I'd like to remove my current headlights from my S2K and replace with LED lights mounted in the noise cone / cowl.

• 2 months later...

I am doing LED headlights as well. GE Nighthawks. Right now you can get $100 off each headlight on Amazon with the "clip coupon". However, it is one per account so I had to order one and then my wife ordered one. Saved $200.

$305.96 shipped for the pair (looks like they are 310.06 a pair today).

These also look closer to normal headlights than the others I was able to find (if you somewhat want to keep it period looking).

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showpost.php?p=89210&postcount=49

They also say these are the same as Trucklight, but I think they have changed. They now have a strip in the middle with the GE logo.

Edited by jevs

I wanted to keep my headlights with the LED ring turn signals so went with the "New Bright's LED" replacement bulb units. Lot of stuff to fit into a standard bucket but it all went in OK. Replaced my H4 Halogens. Haven't been out at night, or even aimed them yet but look pretty bright in the garage. The light has a separate ballast and a fan at the back plus all the wiring to stuff in. I decided to pop rivet the ballast in place as it seemed too heavy to just stick in with tape or try to make epoxy work on the round bucket and square ballast.

headlight LED 004.jpg

I'm debating the need for drilling some cooling air holes in the bucket. There should be enough exposed metal in the headlight bucket to radiate heat to the outside air. The LED's produce less heat than the H4 Halogens they replaced and the fan is just to move air over the heat sink at the base of the bulb. When I get the chance I'll drive around in the heat of day and see if the bucket gets too warm. Mostly will have the lights on when it's night so probably cooler air moving over the bucket.