Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. You can also buy the gear display for a sadev sequential box - seen one of those on a seven.
  2. By looking at the wing sponsor (Super 7 Cars Canada) that car looks like the Canadian Hayabusa Turbo that Terry (name and profile name on USA7s) is associated with - send him a PM. I would be curious to know as I have also been tempted by a carbon front wing on my car....:drool:
  3. Yep that was what I was trying to say. If a Caterham OEM cage was FIA approved then SCCA might accept it under their rules since they follow FIA rules on other elements of safety. But SCCA may have decided to set up their own rules in contravention of FIA since bureaucrats do like to keep busy....:leaving:
  4. Have you confirmed with Caterham UK to see if their cages (that you can buy aftermarket) are FIA compliant? I would have thought the answer was yes given the number of racing series they operate in Europe and UK.
  5. That's correct. I was referring to the S3/SV chassis distinctions. CSR chassis still is Arch - I have the Arch markings at the base of the roll bar.
  6. Bit disappointing that they rule so late. I am not surprised I thought their regs were restrictive to start with - they dont like sevens. I was still planning to pay you a visit on the Saturday afternoon en route to my dinner in Long Beach Island. Tom is pretty handy with vaseline so he can come early to help you out. :jester:
  7. No I have not used them recently like Mondo - I was referring to an instance 2 years back when in one Sunday I managed to blow up the cooling system on my previous yellow seven. My current silver seven is currently dirty but otherwise fine!
  8. Nice look! The red and black go well the polished ali. Looks like the photo was taken at the Rocks in Sydney - not really well known for its quality driving roads!
  9. I think AAA is the best value insurance for me going. I have their platinum membership as it gives me 150 miles free towing coverage - plenty range for my explorations. I have only ever had to use it once for my old yellow seven when I could see the problem but not the right tools or parts to fix it. Only problem is that you have to wait hours for them to get a truck to you.
  10. Hang on to that thought - that might be just what is required to get Scannon to join up on the Grizzly Blat since he needs to track along with his tow vehickle and trailer. Calling Skip to this post.....!
  11. I think that is a very worthy cause! Personally I believe in having longer vacations every year - it keeps you younger! Not to dampen anyones enthusiasm but how would Gert get his trailer from Vancouver back to Calgary where I presume his tow vehicle would be staying? Best option so far is Z3Stalker's since it is a fairly easy and quick drive back to Calgary on the direct road.
  12. Nice try Martin! But the roads are better if we start from Calgary and head over the Rockies! :auto: Not sure where Cranbrook AB is? Would not come up on either Bing or Google mapping. However, taking a read from Sunburst MT (near the border) to Calgary it seems it is 3.5 hours or 212 miles. I am happy to have my car delivered US side and then we drive the couple of hours to Calgary. However, I dont have a safe place for delivery though! It may be just better to hire the customs agent and save on the airfare flying non-stop into Calgary (from NYC) instead of paying a fortune to fly multiple legs into Bumfu#$ MT on some puddlejumper plane? I would not be surprised if the UK shipping for the sevens works out cheaper than shipping from US east coast!
  13. They are some of the best track day photos I have seen. Light years ahead of the stuff they sell at NJMP. Nice and crisp images, blurred backgrounds, brilliant weather, and of course a bunch of gorgeous cars. Excellent post!
  14. For those shipping from the East Coast of the USA, I did some research this morning by talking with Lisa at Mackie Movers (800-565-4646). Terry – She knew your name and the cars that we are shipping – very helpful. There are 2 ways to ship a car with Mackie (1) Hire the truck for a specific date/destination, or (2) Ship Less Than TruckLoad (LTL) which is where you buy a space on a truck and rely on it to head east or west. Option 1 – Hire a truck · Need a minimum of 6 cars, no higher than 58 inches. · Enclosed truck with liner to prevent drips from cars above. · Prices below are transport only – no waiting time. · Leg 1 – NYC to Red Deer AB - C$11,653.57 (averages C$1,942 per car) · Leg 2 – Vancouver to NYC - C$14,316.46 (averages C$2,386 per car) Option 2 – Hire a truck but route it to pick up cars along the way. · Routing was pick up in NYC, Eastern PA (say New Hope PA), Cinncinati OH and then on to Red Deer AB. Return leg reverses itinerary but starts in Vancouver. · Leg 1 – NYC to New Hope to Cinncinati to Red Deer - C$12,420.28 (averages C$2070 per car, actual cost could be worked out on mileage) · Leg 2 – Vancouver to Cinncinati to New Hope to Red Deer - C$14,698.42 (C$C$2,450 average per car). Option 3 – Less Than Truckload Delivery · Quoting for a single car space from NYC. · Very inflexible on delivery times. Recommended that you aim 3 weeks prior to when actually needed. Even then there is no guarantee as to arrival/pick up times. Does not sound like this is what we want. · Leg 1 – NYC to Red Deer – C$2,660 · Leg 1 – Cinnicnati to Red Deer – C$3,013 · Leg 2 – Vancouver to NYC – C$2,553 · Leg 2 – Vancouver to Cinnicnati – C$2,955 USD is pretty much par with Canadian dollar these days. In reality option 2 is the only one to make sense. We can get a guaranteed delivery time. We can set the routing across the US to pick up the various sevens at different way points as the truck heads east coast to Calgary and return. The prices are not cheap and that is because diesel has gone up so much in price. The other quirk to allow for is that we would need a customs broker to get the cars into Canada as the shipping paperwork requirements changed in the last year. Mackie recommend Dell Will Customs Broker (519-258-3141) but I have not called them yet to get a quote. The customs issues can be complicated depending on whether the owner is a non-US citizen, car owned by a company instead of an individual owner, etc. Lisa also said that it is only inbound Canada that is a problem. Outbound returning home, she said is very simple and she can provide the paperwork. Does anyone else want to try their preferred transport company to see if they can do better? I am still keen to do this as it will be a great experience to drive the seven on roads of this quality and scenery. However, these prices only make sense if I can get 6 of us together or someone else has a better suggestion as to pricing/ability to deliver on time with other quality vehicle movers? Over to others to comment!
  15. oooohhh! A BDA! :drool: Now the cunning plan becomes clear. What is the spec on it?
  16. Personally, whether it is turbocharging or supercharging, it really does not matter. I am in support of anyone who has a mid-life crisis and wants more power! :jester: Preparing for the NJMP June 2012 Sevens trackday are we MichaelD?
  17. Croc

    Tire Puzzle

    Many thanks Terry. I am assuming the 6 you have in stock are the 195/45/R15 CR500s? PM please me with price/how to place order/shipping details once you know about your ability to supply the 245 rears. It will be 2x195/45/R15 and 2x245/45/R15 If nothing else, I think I have learned a good lesson about keeping some spares at home in the garage in the future.
  18. Croc

    Tire Puzzle

    Well I learned yesterday that you cannot put 225/50R15 on a 9 inch rear rim. Need at least 235 or ideally 245! This tire stuff is getting difficult.
  19. Croc

    Tire Puzzle

    No typo unfortunately. This was 1500 road miles and 6 track days which is about normal for other CSRs. If it were all road miles the range of use for set seems to be between 5000 and 7500 miles. The CR500s are pretty soft and wear quick. Lovely to drive on though. I agree and this was one tire I checked and was hoping for. However, the NT01 205/50/R15 has an inflated diameter of 22.95inches or 583mm. So it does not fit under the front wings of a CSR.
  20. Well after nearly 3000 miles on the Avon CR500s I am up for a new set of tires. Currently I have Avon CR500 with: Front 195/45/R15 Rear 245/40/R15 Avon is out of stock globally. Caterham UK website says they have the rears in stock but that is a glitch - they do not - and cannot tell me when they will come in. Avon UK themselves said they are out of stock and are expecting more "within the next 2 months"! :toetap05: My real issue with any replacement is sizing - no one else offers that exact spec and there is no room to expand under the front wings which are close profiled for aerodynamics. So looking for alternatives I have come up with the following tires and their diameter: Toyo R1R 584.2 mm (205/50R15 86V) Kunho V70A 583 mm (205/50ZR15) Avon ZZR 577mm (195/50 R15) Toyo T1R 576 mm (195/50 R15) Toyo R888 574 mm (195/50R15 82V) Avon ACB10 551 mm (195/45-15) CR500 554 mm (195/45 R15) I have confirmed through a CSR owner in Stockholm that the V70A will not fit. So that would appear to rule out the R1R. From a CSR owner in Luxembourg it appears the T1R will make it on but is very very close. The ACB10s are an easy fit but they suffer tramlining and I have to make some radical suspension camber/caster changes for them to work with a all new flat floor set up process - bit of a pain. However, the R888s look promising. What are people's experience with them? Any other tire options that are worth considering that might fit? For the rears I have more room to play with but what is the view of me getting 225/50 or a 235/50 to work on a rim that currently wears a 245/40? Car use is a mix of touring and track work. I am not much out in the rain but it is known to happen by accident.
  21. Yes I was planning to call in at NJMP on the SCCA Sat up to early afternoon before I have to head off to Long Beach.
  22. I have to admit I am undecided about this one. Reason being is I am planning to be at NJMP Thunderbolt on April 6 and 7 for track days. I am also having problems getting new tires - Avon is out in my sizes worldwide that fit a CSR. I have enough tread for 2 days but not confident enough for a 3rd day which is what Englishtown would be.
  23. There are other options out there: - Cosworth Pi system - AIM MXL Pista or Strada - Motec have one. - RLC Racing Micropod http://rlcracing.com/micro-pod-lite-pro-x.htm - RaceTechnology Dash 2 (or Dash 3 if you want to keep the tach and speedo and merge all auxiliary gauges onto one unit) I have always thought this Stack unit is pretty cool: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/dash-displays/stack-steering-wheel-display
  24. MichaelD did the cutouts in his clams with a wire mesh insert. While this photo is not ideal, you can just see the inserts by looking from the underside of the clam. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/june%202011/20110627_NJM_IN1_5466.jpg
  25. Wow! After all this effort and time you have reached Sevens nerdvana. Congratulations! Your linked photoblog is fascinating to read to see how you sweated the finest of details to make sure the car was as close to perfect as possible. Now that Spring is here I hope you find the time to enjoy the car. :hurray:
×
×
  • Create New...