Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. There is at least one car in the UK with carbon fiber clamshells and there was an effort last year to produce another custom set based on some Blatchat posting I read. I am not aware of any commercial manufacturer selling them.
  2. I am a little confused. You could buy the rear body section which includes the curves you are concerned about (i.e. it wraps around). You could then buy the flat panel for the sides (matching for weave) using the links Jude provided. Worst case is you ask Fluke or Mog if they would do a custom set of side panels for you. I am sure they would since it is a relatively easy exercise compared to forming bonnets, rear panels, etc.
  3. Thanks for reminding me Sean - I had forgotten that. Norman is still posting on Westfield UK forum after unfortunately falling foul of some Blatchat politics. From what I read he is still living in the same place and still has the Caterham. He had a rebuild blog at French Blatting Company which is a great read. Here is the link: http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/101.html Look for the sub pages for the carbon details
  4. Yes it was temporarily possible. A UK Blatchat member (RichardinFrance) who ran a carbon parts business was developing his own all carbon car with one of the RST V6 turbos installed. Unfortunately he passed on and his car project was only part complete. His business was bought out however it has since gone under (was called RIF and was bought out by Carbon Bits but both are gone). Your other retailers for carbon to explore are 1) MOG Racing/Fluke Motorsport. 2) Reverie 3) As a wild card try MadHatter at Seven Speed UK. He also sells the MOG and Fluke stuff but may have other sources. The Westfield guys use someone called "Mickmade" - not sure if he also makes Caterham bits? Also search Blatchat - there will be some reference that you can follow a lead on.
  5. The rule of thumb was that 2007 was the first year of metric production but depending on engine spec it trickled into 2008. Imperial chassis is phosphor bronze welded and has imperial threads made by Arch. The Metric chassis was MIG welded and metric threads/dimensions. I think the Duratec came after the imperial to metric changeover for US spec cars but I am not certain on that? If you are close to that year then the best way to check is to take your VIN and ring Caterham Parts UK and have them check which chassis you have and the cage you are looking for. They can probably give you an answer on the spot plus let you know exactly which cage options/prices are in stock.
  6. The build threads he has been running on Britishspeed forum have been very interesting reads.
  7. Just to clarify - is this developing into a crack? If so does it makes sense to weld the crack? I tried the temporary stuff on my old car and eventually ended up having to weld as the silicone stuff just cracked over time.
  8. Nice find. Have they resurfaced Englishtown since early 2011? I went there in person to check out the track in the hope of putting a sevens only track day together. Price was not the issue. I believe this was designed as a extended go kart track so it is pretty tight and well suited for sevens but run off is limited in spots but average speeds are pretty low. However, when I chatted by phone about reserving a day with the general manager, he said I should come and inspect the track for suitability as it was starting to break up in a few places and bumpy in others and may not be good for gravel marking expensive cars (his views not mine). On taking up his invitation to inspect in person, I think he was right although I ran a lap in the daily driver to test (never made it out of 3rd gear!). If the surface was renewed then I think it would be a very good deal.
  9. Nice videos. I liked the race duel at Grattan - very interesting to see where each of you was faster than the other. I assume same spec engine in both? Joe looked like he had fractionally more straight line legs yet your car picked him back on brakes and corners plus you were the faster driver on the back of the circuit. Lovely circuit too - never heard of it before today. What was the box in the passenger side for? Too low for aero I think?
  10. Is that package where they install nice big brassy balls as well? :rofl:
  11. Congratulations! You will be like a kid just before Christmas waiting for your present to arrive with Santa! Did you go through the option list and tick every box?
  12. Is the Pope a Catholic? You bet - I am in. Your drives are always fun since you do not get lost in the area unlike me. Both dates work and short of someone scheduling a surprise work meeting I will be there.
  13. On backroads I use a pair of polycarbonate safety glasses (over my regular glasses). However, on interstates, I tried the same and felt a little exposed and took a pebble in the forehead from a truck adding to my craggy good looks. Since then I have avoided interstates with the aeroscreen tending to use the windscreen for any long runs down the turnpike. It is easy to switch the windscreen and aeroscreen back and forth if you have the captive nut brackets fitted. Takes about 10 mins for me to do it by myself. I put socks over the end of the windscreen brackets to avoid scratching the paintwork. The chassis comes out of the crate looking like this. No suspension, engine, transmission, axle, steering column, etc. The seats are just sitting in there not bolted in. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/Colorado%20April%202011/DSC_5410_edited-1.jpg
  14. I can understand the desire to move out of Christchurch. I think you will go well in Brisbane - it has been a lucky city and done well in the last 20 years. Unfortunately real estate prices have got ridiculously high. Good luck finding a new home!
  15. Yep that is the standard Caterham muffler. Its supposedly larger as it is a "cool touch" type. I have the burns to prove it too! How was the noise on the Chessman muffler for the CSR? Too loud for street or track? I believe your catalytic converter has dropped off accidentally just in case you were not aware and need it for registration?
  16. Hi Kiwi - You know how to make me jealous when I am faced with cold wet crappy weather! Have you made a decision yet on whether you are going to stick it out in Christchurch or move somewhere less shakey?
  17. Shamelessly stolen from the Ozclubbies site this is a brilliant rallying video that shows the range of driving talent on offer from the sublime to the oh so mediocre.
  18. I think Fluke Motorsport and Mog Racing are the same? The Fluke price is in pounds so may work out cheaper. Email Carl anyway as he does work with Mog for some of the pieces he sells. Blubarisax has ordered stuff from Mog so can chime in on his delivery experiences.
  19. Thanks Terry. I have been around there in an E30 Beemer and the combination of changing elevation combined with old style feel makes it unique. One day I will do it in a seven.
  20. As a suggestion, try Carl at Seven Speed. http://www.sevenspeed.co.uk/ No guarantees but I have seen quite a few times that he manages to have access to items when Caterham is out of stock.
  21. Sadly I have to take a pass on this one since I have plans for either a UK or Spa track day later this year.
  22. Not sure about the "crash and burn" my place bit :ack:
  23. Two things: 1) I am very jealous :cooldude: 2) Make sure you post plenty of photos on your return Have fun!
  24. Interestingly the W Hotel in Hoboken is also block booked those dates. Anyway, why I would need a hotel when I am probably the only person on this forum who could walk to the track from home (although I would prefer to take the tram!).
  25. Enjoy the celebrity treatment while you can. Like Cindarella you will be back to drudgery by Monday or Tuesday.
×
×
  • Create New...