-
Posts
9,187 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by Croc
-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2791_edited-1.jpg Engine bay of the Europa http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2793_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2796_edited-1.jpg Four DeLorean's came along. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2794_edited-1.jpg
-
It was great to see everybody at the Lotus Enthusiasts Organization (LEO) of NJ and NY Spirited Drive today. Big thanks to Atwell and Bill Thomas (and his lovely wife) for hosting. It was good to see Steve, Jack, Jen, Jon (Box) again. Ron K joined us for his first LEO event with his new Seven. It was great to see Alan and Kathy turn up in their Seven for an appearance. Al was sadly missed! Box's car decided to misbehave so he was navigator duties with me - a role that was sorely needed after the spirited drive. Starting off it was at Bill's place to redecorate the lawn and generally accessorize his nice collection of Augusta bikes, Seven, TR2 and TR4 amongst many things. Seven's left to right, mine, Jack's and Ron K http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2786_edited-1.jpg This is Bill's very nice and new to him anniversary edition. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2788_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2798_edited-1.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2797_edited-1.jpg
-
I think I know this guy. He is fairly well known in his industry. If it is the same guy I am thinking of then I met him a few times during my business dealings and thought he was "larger than life" plus a very good businessman (I am sure I lost that negotiation!) He is in his 70s but he does not look it - very vigorous. I knew he had destroyed a fair few exotic cars on tracks and at his home but .... wow. The water feature is fairly large and as I heard it he miscalulated a power slide. I suspect the palm trees are the ones along his driveway. One interesting side note - did anyone else ee the new Bugatti crash video that the site has a link for? Shows the car leaving the road.
-
:ack: I know there is a lot of information on the web but honestly....
-
Not sure what an alternative chassis is? Mine is a "5" standing for SV or Fat Bastard.
-
Probably.....but I also happen to know of a Birkin with a Caterham badge on it! And there was one Caterham at LOG caught on camera with all the Caterham badges replaced with Lotus badges! Bunch of wannabees!!! Hairdressers are more dangerous that Cat owners! Speaking of hairdressers, is your avatar a self-portrait? What on earth were you thinking?
-
SDK = Caterham car L = left hand drive D = De Dion K = Kit built A = alternative chassis NS = Engine not supplied 1 = 2001 chassis year 0022003 = chassis number
-
Psssst...I have a Caterham badge for you to stick on the car!
-
I love it! :rofl: You had me sitting here puzzled for a while trying to work out what was a "standard air package."
-
I just sent you the codes document - let me know if it does not come through. It is fairly large.... As for your question in red....it is a damn good question. I do not know and had not considered it before you asked. It was built by a Caterham dealer in Florida for a original owner and suspect they found a workaround from their history in building these cars. I will go hunting around on the weekend now...you have me curious. Have you asked Caterham USA (Ben) if he has a workaround?
-
Ah.....this is like asking what is the meaning of life. After a long time I am still confused by my engine codes. Eventually I just ignored them and found a way around the problems. I have a description on all codes for the engine and this is what it says for each: P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs: - Fuel system - Excessive fuel pressure. - Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors. - Leaking fuel pressure regulator. - Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel. - Vapor recovery system. - Induction system: - Air leaks after the MAF. - Vacuum Leaks. - PCV system. - Improperly seated engine oil dipstick. - EGR system: - Leaking gasket. - Stuck EGR valve. - Leaking diaphragm or EVR. - Base Engine: - Oil overfill. - Cam timing. - Cylinder compression. - Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss. A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure. P1451 - EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction Monitors the canister vent (CV) solenoid circuit for an electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified canister vent duty cycle by PCM command. VPWR circuit open - CV solenoid circuit shorted to PWR GND or CHASSIS GND - Damaged CV solenoid - CV solenoid circuit open - CV solenoid circuit shorted to VPWR - Damaged PCM To verify normal function, monitor the EVAP canister vent solenoid signal PID EVAPCV and the signal voltage (PCM control side). With the valve open, EVAPCV will indicate 0 percent duty cycle and the voltage approximately equal to battery voltage. When the valve is commanded fully closed, EVAPCV will indicate 100% duty cycle and a voltage drop of 4 volts minimum is normal. Output test mode may be used to switch output ON/OFF to verify function. Both 171 and 1451 come up on my car too (2004 Zetec SVT) - they are standard Ford codes. As far as I could tell after a lot of investigation plus enlisting the servcies of a trusted mechanic they arise because the change in the fuel system where excess fuel vapor goes to a carbon canister before (in my car's situation) being vented to the manifold to be burnt. This is why my car pops and backfires happily on lift off whereas a standard Focus is all quiet. The standard focus recycles the fuel vapor differently and it does not go the manifold like the installation on my Caterham. As for 730 to 753 you are right it is the lack of an auto box. - P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio - P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction - P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical I have not found a way to solve this one. I also get OBD errors for the air conditioning. I guess you have air conditioning fitted in your Seven? I did try a little OBDII tool to read the codes and reset them. However, when you plug into emissions testing equipment, the computer will not read correctly and so (in NJ) you will have to go for a short drive for the computer to reset itself. Once reset you find the codes have come back and so you cannot get the OBDII read via the stanard emissions testing software. For what it is worth, in my Seven the engine light only comes on during start up, it goes off immediately afterwards. However, I still have the engine code exceptions prevent the DMV reading the car via OBD II software. Possible solution - Can you ask NYS to use a tail pipe probe like they normally do with pre-OBDII cars? The Ford codes document is one I pulled together after hunting the web. It is a little SVT motor focused with some of the engine diagrams but the codes piece of the doc are standard Ford codes for all Zetecs. It is too big to upload here. if you are interested in getting it, PM me with a private email and I will email you directly.
-
Just found this car again (I think) on auto trader classics asking $2150. I am not sure what to think with a price like that. Wonder if he is missing a zero? Link http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=199312&actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=86969
-
I think its lucky they hit head on. Could you imagine running up the rear of an elephant in an SUV - you would be at a..hole height. As for hitting an elephant in a Seven, the consequence dont bear thinking - probably brush it away with its trunk.
-
Ow..thats nasty! Educate me here, what punched that hole out? rod, piston...? Do you plan to upgrade to a new bike motor as a result of this? Hayabusa powered maybe?
-
New Zealand Southern Lotus Club Tranz Alpine Run
Croc replied to KiwiBirkin's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Oh yes...do I remember that road to Karamea! :blush: About 20 years ago I had a rental Toyota Starlet, 1.1 litre front wheel drive 4 speed skinny tyres POS on that road. Top speed wound out was 135 km/h (80mph). Somehow (stupidly) I managed to make that crap engine overpower the tyres - so I four wheel drifted off that road and down into the forest at fairly healthy rate of speed. While I came out of that wreck undamaged the car was less intact. At the time I viewed it as my contribution to improving the automotive gene pool. Since then my driving skills, brains and common sense have improved drammatically. Awesome roads for that drive. Anyone rent Sevens there for a weeks vacation? I really do want to go back. -
New Zealand Southern Lotus Club Tranz Alpine Run
Croc replied to KiwiBirkin's topic in General Sevens Discussion
Great photos Kiwi - thanks for sharing. I think I recognize some of the roads. Did you do a up and back between Christchurch and Greymouth via Arthurs Pass? Or did you do the full loop with Lewis Pass to provide variety for the return? -
The 6 speed was originally designed by BGH Geartech for Caterham but it is Caterham produced. I dont think there is another supplier you can approach quietly for a cheap bypass to Caterham. I bought a 4 speed ford box off Brian Hill years ago for my ex-Series 2. Just checking his website now he was selling reconditioned/new boxes - 4 and 5 spd only. Quaife does have the sequential box but they are not cheap either. POA says very expensive to me. http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop_category.cfm/category_id/1276/category_id/1276 There have been some teething problems discussed on blat chat re the quaife box - not sure if they are sorted out now.
-
Yes it can. Here is the link to the Caterham UK online store: https://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=108_110&products_id=43&osCsid=191c428895d7b303ae12e72082f6d794 Pretty pricey though!
-
Thats interesting. Now that I am back from slaying muppets in the office, I just checked to and the installation on mine is identical to this one. The photo does not really show it well but the S-bend kicks the pipe up and over the steering column. I have a 2004 kit so it must not be too new a design. The S-hose is a standard ford focus part from the hose kit sold by ford dealers (I know since I replaced it 2 months back). I also checked a few other Seven & Elan previously sold cars on their website and they seem to have the same on the SVT motors. Just a thought - it is not a thing just for the SVT motor compared to the regular Zetec? I doubt it but stranger things have happened...
-
Lovely photo - beautiful color scheme.
-
Jon - where are you seeing that? looks the same as my installation.
-
Al - I hope to see you at the LEO event that Atwell and Bill T are putting together for Nov 15? After all it is just up the road from you.... At least join us for the beginning at Bill T's workshop!
-
I can already see what will happen to my car - the stars are starting appearing on the front amd rear cycle fenders. Then it will be carbon fiber time :drool:
-
I have a couple of ideas: 1) I am short sighted so I suffer from sun glare more than most because of the lenses I have to wear to see. I find a hat is as useful as a pair of tits on a bull because it gets blown off at the SUV/tractor trailer I meet. I ended up with a pair of Bobster polarized sun glasses which cover the entire eye socket. They wrap around so I do not lose peripheral vision but the best bit is that they completely block out sun from coming through the top of the glasses or the side. Another option which I find useful is the Softbits4sevens half hood which blocks out the sun coming over the top of the screen. If the issue is driving directly into the sun then I used one of these on my old daily driver http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=1862&cid=61 Like others I leave my cap, ear plugs and glasses in the car ready for when I next jump in to play. 2) Nausea - I swear by Bonine for motion/sea sickness which you can buy over the counter. Now if the issue is exhaust fumes then maybe there is an aerodynamic issue here. My exhaust exits at the rear of the car and every so often I get the fume smell. THe recommended fix for the rear exhaust problem is to install a side exit. If that is still not working for you then maybe you need an angled tip to angle it in some direction to maximise it being picked up by the airflow around the car and dispersed. THe old trick of putting it on the passenger side of the car also works well! 3) I drive my car in Manhattan and the New York metro area and unfortunately you have to drive to survive the taxis, soccer mom minivans, weekend boy races, etc. My car is set up for street driving and not auto-x. I find it has a very good ride quality and absorbs the bumps well. Good seats allow me to sit there for many hours without discomfort. The biggest stress comes from trying to avoid the suddenly appearing potholes, canyons, road ridges and other delights constructed by both the NY and NJ Roads Departments. Unfortunately the only answer to that is work out how to escape the city quicker. Our cars were never designed to live around downtown so we have to accept the comprises they bring. To avoid the compromises then we just have to use our daily drivers for the regular boring commute and save our "special" for the fun purposes that we have them for. I do find that our cars are designed for one element of urban life - the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels in New York produce just fantastic aural experiences running up and down the gears. You can always find some fun - you just have to look for it.
-
How lucky can you be with saving the car! An actual fire in the tank :ack: and you save the car with quick thinking. I am not sure I would have the presence of mind to put the cover back on the tank and hope to starve the fire of oxygen.
