Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the site! It is a lovely looking car. Your post was very interesting for a number reasons: I am interested in why you felt the need to change from the standard Caterham intallation - were you getting hotter than normal oil temperatures? I have the same engine in my car and fitted a oil temperature gauge last year to get a good read on temperatures because of the same question I had on the standard installation - a little hotter than expected against the standard Focus SVT installation but still in the acceptable range. I had tossed around an oil cooler and the remote installation but for now have left it in the wish list because I could not see the pressing need. I am not tracking my car so that may have been a factor in your thinking. Does this mean you have set up all the sensors so that you can just plug in the OBD II and get zero faults? If so I would love to learn more about this experience. This was a total PITA when going through the registration process in NJ and there are a few people around NJ who would love to know the secret to this. She is special! Damn - where did you find her!! Caterham do not offer that form of upgrade in their catalog of options
  2. Lovely engine sound!
  3. Not sure if this was in your count Skip, but there was one for sale last year at Seven & Elans http://www.sevenselans.com/cars_for_sale/2006_caterham_csr/index.htm I was a little confused that the 2006 kit was only being assembled in 2009 by Sevens & Elans - it was out of my budget so I never rang to check.
  4. Hi Sandy, Its always good to hear of another Seven in the same area. I am just over the other side of the Hudson (oh the shame!) but have made it to Long island to enjoy the nice roads there. How far up Long Island are you? There are a few Sevens located there - Boxologist and one other from memory. I agree with you on the rubbish quality of our roads - certainly not Seven quality and a worry on when (not if) something will break from the vibrations where are your favorite spots for driving? Cheers
  5. Hi Brad What did you end up with as your final decision? I am up for a set of new tires (after 7000 miles....). I am definitely not putting another set of Sumitomo's back on the car (a little too sudden to break away and useless in the wet). I would be interested in hearing about your final choice. Cheers
  6. Croc

    Who is at Fault

    That cannot be true. When I lived in Maine I had a manual Subaru with a remote starter installed by the Subaru dealer. It would not start if it was in gear because of a lock out switch - the dealer demonstrated that to me at the time of pick up because I had this type of concern. However, my next car was a automatic Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with remote starter installed by the Jeep dealer and you could start it with the auto selector in any position - park, reverse, drive. Out of curiousity I tried it one day sitting behind the wheel. It was not pretty but it got moving I think it just depends on the quality of the installation - I suspect a self install here as well.
  7. I think this is a continuation of the Philadelphia Museum of Art when it had its presentation of selected cars from Ralph Lauren's private collection two or so years ago. The list of cars looks very similar to what I saw then. There was a very good program made at the time that still comes up every so often on the Discovery channel. It is rare that a collection of this quality is put on display - should be well worth attending. Now how do I find an excuse to go to Atlanta.....?
  8. Brilliant - I just love stories like this!
  9. Very nice!! What engine package did you go for?
  10. Croc

    confused car

    One bottle or two....?
  11. My favorite is The Landing Strip Cafe. Based on the Auburn Maine Local Airport, it is very popular with recreational flyers on the weekend who can fly in for a meal and then fly out continuing to do some flightseeing. Views are great as it is right alongside the main runway. Also there is a Lockheed Constellation that is undergoing restoration by Lufthansa - eventually to fly again. It is so low key that it does not have its own website but instead is listed on the various recreational flyer boards as a place to go for a good homestyle meal - only open breakfast and lunches - no one flys in at night for this. http://flytome.com/airbiz.html
  12. I have a similar issue while I wait for the replacement hoses to arrive on my car. So I have distracted myself by looking at simple upgrades....so far this week I have purchased a shift light, a voltmeter, new harness for the passenger (had 3 point inertia reel before), shoulder pads, half doors..... I know I will hate to see the credit card later this month but I am having so much fun I have not missed the car not being able to move... Go on....go for the upgrades....you know you want them :devil:
  13. ooooh....I like that :drool:
  14. :sadangel: SUV was turning right onto a main road and looks like he rolled through without looking. To me it seems like the SUV driver may not have seen the low profile of the Seven coming towards him. The guy's brother has made a comment under the linked article saying the car was an original Lotus Seven. I wonder if he was related to the Pighetti family I knew in Westfield MA - pretty distinctive name?
  15. Part 2 of the guide Transportation Public taxis are subsidized by the Her Majesty's Government. A taxi ride in London costs two pounds, no matter how far you travel. If a taxi driver tries to overcharge you, you should yell "I think not, you charlatan!", then grab the nearest bobby and have the driver arrested. It is rarely necessary to take a taxi, though, since bus drivers are required to make detours at patrons' requests. Just board any bus, pay your fare of thruppence (the heavy gold-colored coins are "pence"), and state your destination clearly to the driver, e.g.: "Please take me to the British Library." A driver will frequently try to have a bit of harmless fun by pretending he doesn't go to your requested destination. Ignore him, as he is only teasing the American tourist (little does he know you're not so ignorant!). Speaking of the British Library, you should know that it has recently moved to a new location at Kew. Kew is a small fishing village in Wales. It can be reached by taking the train to Cardiff; once there, ask any local about the complimentary shuttle bus to Kew. (Don't forget that buses are called "prams" in England, and trains are called "bumbershoots"--it's a little confusing at first. Motorcycles are called "lorries" and the hospital, for reasons unknown, is called the "off-license." It's also very important to know that a "doctor" only means a PhD in England, not a physician. If you want a physician, you must ask for an "MP" (which stands for "master physician"). For those travelling on a shoestring budget, the London Tube may be the most economical way to get about, especially if you are a woman. Chivalry is alive and well in Britain, and ladies still travel for free on the Tube. Simply take some tokens from the baskets at the base of the escalators or on the platforms; you will find one near any of the state-sponsored Tube musicians. Once on the platform, though, beware! Approaching trains sometimes disurb the large Gappe bats that roost in the tunnels. The Gappes were smuggled into London in the early 19th century by French saboteurs and have proved impossible to exterminate. The announcement "Mind the Gappe!" is a signal that you should grab your hair and look towards the ceiling. Very few people have ever been killed by Gappes, though, and they are considered only a minor drawback to an otherwise excellent means of transportation. (If you have difficulty locating the Tube station, merely follow the signs that say "Subway" and ask one of the full-time attendants where you can catch the bumbershoot.) One final note: for preferential treatment when you arrive at Heathrow airport, announce that you are a member of Shin Fane (an international Jewish peace organization -- the "shin" stands for "shalom"). As savvy travellers know, this little white lie will assure you priority treatment as you make your way through customs; otherwise you could waste all day in line. You might, in fact, want to ask a customs agent to put a Shin Fane stamp in your passport, as it will expedite things on your return trip. Bollocks to your mum! ("farewell and good health to your family")
  16. Well in that case, here is a useful guide to assist you when in the "Mother Country": Completely Factual Guide for Americans Visiting Britain Vocabulary The Brits have peculiar words for many things. Money is referred to as "goolies" in slang, so you should for instance say "I'd love to come to the pub but I haven't got any goolies". "Quid" is the modern word for what was once called a "shilling" -- the equivalent of seventeen cents American. Underpants are called "wellies" and friends are called "tossers." If you are fond of someone, you should tell him he is a "great tosser" -- he will be touched. The English are a notoriously demonstrative, tactile people, and if you want to fit in you should hold hands with your acquaintances and tossers when you walk down the street. Public nuzzling and licking are also encouraged, but only between people of the same sex. Habits Ever since their Tory government wholeheartedly embraced full union with Europe, the Brits have been attempting to adopt certain continental customs, such as the large midday meal followed by a two- or three-hour siesta , which they call a "wank." As this is still a fairly new practice in Britain, it is not uncommon for people to oversleep (alarm clocks, alas, do not work there due to the magnetic pull from Greenwich). If you are late for supper, simply apologize and explain that you were having a wank -- everyone will understand and forgive you. Universities University archives and manuscript collections are still governed by quaint medieval rules retained out of respect for tradition; hence patrons are expected to bring to the reading rooms their own ink-pots and a small knife for sharpening their pens. Observing these customs will signal the librarians that you are "in the know" -- one of the inner circle, as it were, for the rules are unwritten and not posted anywhere in the library. Likewise, it is customary to kiss the librarian on both cheeks when he brings a manuscript you've requested, a practice dating back to the reign of Henry VI. One of the most delighful ways to spend an afternoon in Oxford or Cambridge is gliding gently down the river in one of their flat-bottomed boats, which you propel using a long pole. This is known as "cottaging." Many of the boats (called "yer-I-nals") are privately owned by the colleges, but there are some places that rent them to the public by the hour. Just tell a professor or policeman that you are interested in doing some cottaging and would like to know where the public yerinals are. The poles must be treated with vegetable oil to protect them from the water, so it's a good idea to buy a can of Crisco and have it on you when you ask directions to the yerinals. That way people will know you are an experienced cottager. Food British cuisine enjoys a well deserved reputation as the most sublime gastronomic pleasure available to man. Thanks to today's robust dollar, the American traveller can easily afford to dine out several times a week (rest assured that a British meal is worth interrupting your afternoon wank for). Few foreigners are aware that there are several grades of meat in the UK. The best cuts of meat, like the best bottles of gin, bear Her Majesty's seal, called the British Stamp of Excellence (BSE). When you go to a fine restaurant, tell your waiter you want BSE beef and won't settle for anything less. If he balks at your request, custom dictates that you jerk your head imperiously back and forth while rolling your eyes to show him who is boss. Once the waiter realizes you are a person of discriminating taste, he may offer to let you peruse the restaurant's list of exquisite British wines. If he doesn't, you should order one anyway. The best wine grapes grow on the steep, chalky hillsides of Yorkshire and East Anglia -- try an Ely '84 or Ripon '88 for a rare treat indeed. When the bill for your meal comes it will show a suggested amount. Pay whatever you think is fair, unless you plan to dine there again, in which case you should simply walk out; the restaurant host will understand that he should run a tab for you.
  17. Can I borrow your private jet? Pretty please! :jester: Unfortunately, I do not organize the event so it will not be moved - it is always in the last week of April. So we can always have our own event - probably better anyway - less people for you to buy beers for!
  18. Thanks for the input Guys! Martin - I think you are on to something. I think what happened is that some residual fluid (probably the preparation flush fluid) was not fully cleared out of the system prior to replacing with the glycol-based (non-water based) new coolant. I think this preparation fluid is heavier than the coolant and so it trickled down and sat at the lowest level, froze in the cold weather and split the hose. The coolant has an operating temperature of -70 deg before it freezes and even then it is supposed to just become a slurry and shrink - not expand. However, the preparation fluid will expand on freezing - makes a likely candidate here I think. The splits are very localized at low points in the hoses so I may have got off lucky without any issues on the radiator - it looks ok but a thorough check will confirm this. Fingers crossed. Brad - I agree with you - I always buy the better quality item as it usually is false economy to go with the cheap one - unless I have some good knowledge on the topic. The Samco hoses that you mention are the ones I was using. Samco make the regular and silicone hoses (as upgrade items) and sell them through Ford (as Ford brand) as well as other retailers like Napa. I know I bought the Samco Focus hose kit and supplemented it with a few of the Samco racing hoses. I cannot find the invoice but I am almost certain that I did the same thing you did. I cannot remember any 32mm vs 35mm issues so I will check that out when I finish the morning brew and face the garage. As an aside, I find kitty litter is wonderful stuff for soaking up miscellaneous outflows from my Cat. Mopped up the garage floor nicely!
  19. The LEO Group has organized what they call the annual fish and chip run in Milford NJ for Sunday April 25. I have done this before and it is a great time. This would be ideal for Bruce but I bet you will not be back from Bonaire. Message from Lotus Talk Board: 2010 Lotus Fish and Chips Run (East Coast) Yes, in spite of all the snow on the ground, spring is just around the corner and that means the Sixth Annual Lotus Fish and Chips Run! This year's event will be on Sunday April 25th. We will meet at our usual spot at the municipal lot in the center of Milford N.J. at 12:00 pm (noon). After a scenic drive some of the regions most picturesque roads, we will return to the lot and walk across the street to The Ship Inn (The Ship Inn) to sample some of the excellent British cuisine. There is an RSVP need but post here I will cross post it to Lotus Talk
  20. Well I went into the garage yesterday intent on touching up some stone chips as part of my winter projects (sadly delayed) only to find my little car has had a hissy fit and gone and dumped its coolant all over the floor. Further investigation reveals 2 splits in the cooling hoses near the radiator. Given it is only 6 months or so since I replaced all hoses with a brand new set of Ford Focus OEM silicone hoses, I am slightly miffed - I expected them to last longer, especially with the scars from my previous cooling meltdown still so fresh. Given the garage is unheated, I have a suspicion cold has something to do with it. I am also a little frustrated since I had filled the system with a new kind of coolant that can last 100,000 miles or life of car.... Should I shift back to regular rubber hoses? Any brands/hose kits recommended over the Ford OEM variety - looking for ideas or alternatives people have seen. Thanks!
  21. Thats just lovely. Great color scheme, beautiful interior, very tasteful! Brings back fond memories of my old Series 2.
  22. Good stuff! Now, is it too early to start him on upgrades?
  23. Good Grief!!!!
  24. Found for sale in Hemmings - no relation to me... http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/unspecified/1011383.html Chequered Flag International is pleased to offer this 2004 Birkin SE7 in Brushed Aluminum with Black fenders and Black interior. A true replica of a 67 Series 3 Lotus Super 7. It was built as a turn key driver, titled as smog exempt California car. 8733 miles. 15" aluminum wheels, roll bar, bucket seats, tonneau cover, spare tire rack with matching wheel. The body is a combination of aluminum, fiberglass and carbon fiber. The engine is a 2.0 liter Ford Twin Cam Etech (Ford Focus ZX3) producing approximately 160 + horsepower. Aluminum radiator, fuel injection system, 4 wheel disc brakes. Brake master cylinders have adjustable brake bias front to rear and adjustable pedal box. It also has limited slip differential and semi close ratio 5 speed gearbox. Heated windshield. Weighs approximately 1300 lbs, runs and drives superbly - a lot of fun to drive! Inspections encouraged. All sales AS-IS. Sales tax and lic fees due if delivered in California. - Contact Chequered Flag at 310-827-8665 or sales@chequeredflag.com for more information. - Please see more inventory and photos at http://www.chequeredflag.com. - $25,900
  25. I may have a problem - a family event that will take me out that weekend. If I cannot make it - then I can always follow up with a mini-drive and lunch the following weekend.
×
×
  • Create New...