-
Posts
3,100 -
Joined
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Store
Articles
Gallery
Events
Library
Everything posted by yellowss7
-
Mazda, With your torque and hp, you are going to find it hard to put the power down unless you mount a set of Funny car rear slicks. Slightly narrower tires might help you get some heat into them but probably not much more. My 10 inch wide R25 compound slicks hardly ever get more than warm to the touch, except on hot days. Find the stickiest tires you can get and start in 3rd gear. Tom
-
Thanks. that's what I was told by Michael D. as well. I'll give them a try. Tom
-
Thanks Box. My Old Hoosiers are coming up on their 4th season if I would run them now. Last Autox season it was painfully obvious that although they had plenty of rubber left on them, they had hardened up enough that they weren't really sticky any more and my PAX times started to drop off. In fact on my first runs it was very difficult to get them to grip at all. I would not have any confidence using them at higher speeds on the track. Based on the comments, it looks like I'll bite the bullet and order the Hoosier R25B's for the Autox season, and run the R888's on the first and second sessions of the trackday and then maybe change over to the Hoosiers for a session and see how they hold up. Tom
-
Wow, that number shocks me. I would have been surprised at anything over 15 or so. Have we seen anything like 15 new model year kit/car owners in one year on here ever? For that matter, how many active posters on here have new 2007/2009 models??? Just curious. Tom
-
Skip, what's your best guess as to the number of new Caterham Kits/cars that are sold in the US each year? Just curious. Tom
-
Thanks Jeff. That's the dilema, I know the Slicks are best for the autox. But I was hoping that I could get away with them on the trackday as well. The confidence they provide is just awesome. I was looking for some feedback from someone who runs slicks on the track, as to whether the R25's would hold up for several 20 minute sessions. It's just a track day event not a race so I wouldn't be running at 10/10ths. Tom
-
I just ordered a set of Toyo R888's for the Caterham as my street tires, and was just about to order a set of Hoosier slicks for this seasons Autoxing and my upcoming trackday at LOG 29, but my source, who also autoxes and competes in road racing, suggested that I hold off on the Hoosier's. He thought that the R25B compound slicks that I use for Autoxing might be too soft for the 20 minute track day sessions and that I might be better off using the R888's for the trackday and that they may be good enough for Autoxing as well. Any recommendations from those that have done trackday events? I really liked autoxing on the Hoosier slicks compared to my Avon CR500's. Hugh difference. Will the R888's be more comparable to the slicks or the CR500's? Tom
-
Bob, you might like this. A buddy of mine is working on building an electric drive, lithium Ion batteries and hydrogen fuel cell powered Jag XJ 13. http://www.z-type.net/home.html Tom
-
I gained some room, and better visability thru the windscreen by removing the bottom seat cushion and replacing it with a thinner piece of high density foam. Tom
-
The sacrafices we have to make. Tom
-
Exlondonder, to respond to a couple of your questions. Twin Webbers are the side draft carbs. 0-100 times in that spec 7 should be in the mid to high 9 second range, maybe more with the windscreen on. 0-60 probably around 4.2-4.5 seconds. DB6, I like my Porsche, It's a nice comfortable car with good performance. It's just not in the 7's class except for top end and I never use that on either. ExLondoner points out that the Porker weighs in at 2900+ pounds. The 7 weighs in at 1164 pounds. Huge difference that results in quicker acceleration, handling and stopping and ride. I just said that the difference in going from the 7 to the Porsche is like going from the Porsche to the Olds. I like the ride of the Olds too when i need to carry the golf clubs and a couple of budddies around but it's no Porsche. Tom
-
Like what? A radio? AC? My Olds has those too.
-
Based on how the 996's perform at the autoxes, I'd say yeah it's about right
-
Welcome! Figure the 996 0-60 time is around 5.3 seconds or so. The 7 should be in the low 4 second range. As for handling, the difference from the 996 to the 7 is about the difference between the 996 and say a big old american sedan. At least that's what the difference seems like to me, and I have one of each of the above, except my 7 has 200 hp so is a little quicker. Tom
-
Yeah, I saw the interview. When asked about John McCain making the same statement during the campaign and Obozo taking exception to it. She wouldn't answer the question. Give it a couple of days, it will change again. Tom
-
You guys that are watching your cycle wings go up and down are either not looking far enough ahead or you are driving waaay too slow. ;>) Tom
-
I have the carbon ones. They don't dimple but over the past 8 eight years they have dulled slightly. And I second KitCat's comment on the road rash where they don't cover. It's pretty bad. On my new rear wings, I had a local guy do the 3M clear coat thing. I had him apply it to the front half of the wing up to the midway point on top. He even put it on the new carbon protector. So far it looks great. If you're worried about road rash then I think this is the way to go. Tom
-
We are arriving on Thursday. I'm leaning toward: The Thursday R&T reception The Friday evening reception or the British Car Club BBQ Saturday ??? do we have enough interest in a 7's table??? or other dining options. Sunday Winging it. Monday Winging it after the track day. Tom
-
So go with the size 64? with all that extra material, I hope I still fit in the 7.
-
I'm thinking of doing some track days and have been looking at purchasing a driving suit. I can't find anywhere local to try one on. Anyone here have any experience that they can share? I've seen a few suits on Ebay that look good but I'm not sure what size I need and they don't take returns. I'm 6'1" 225 with a 46 chest. I would think it's either a 62 or 64 on the Sparco size chart, but I'm not sure. Tom
-
I guess it's time I get off my butt and send in my registration form for LOG29. I'd rather spend more time with you guys so I'm curious as to what the dinner plans are for most nights. John V. said that there are lots of local restaurant options. So what's everyone doing for meals? Who signed up for the LOG dinners? How many are winging it? Tom
-
Under the bonnet is bare aluminium on my painted Caterham. Tom
-
When I ordered my car in 2000, I wanted the clams, but I also wanted the Wide Track front suspension which at the time was only available with cycle wings. Althought they said they had never done one that way they compiled. I understand that in 2000 or 2001 that they only made a very limited number of cars (less than 5 I think) with clams. But I haven't heard that they no longer offer them. Tom
-
Sorry, I forgot to figure in the shipping cost of the gearbox from England. Thats really going to break the bank!!!! I'm guessing well over 62K and that's for a Roadsport SV. And that assumes you're going to asssemble the kit yourself, otherwise, what are they charging now to assemble it for you? $2-3K??? I ordered my Superlight with an R speced engine (=to the R400) back in 2000 and prices don't seem too different. Tom
-
jlumba81 Wrote: Roadsport SV 210 $47,602.00 Black Pack 506.00 Momo steering wheel w. Q.R. 452.00 4-Point road harnesses 92.00 Spare wheel and tire 586.00 Push button start 64.00 Limited slip differential 1,353.00 Kit Total (less domestic delivery) $50,655.00 That sounds about right. You're at $50k+ then add engine core and gearbox, and if you can't assemble the engine yourself you need to add in their competitively priced "Engine Dressing" service. Oh plus delivery charge, And unless you are into polishing aluminum, paint is another $$1300++ and of course you're going to want to add the Widetrack front end, and then adjustable spring perches. Then how about the FIA roll bar. Of course you're going to want the '7" grille. And you haven't even talked about any carbon... Come on you can do better and get that price up there much higher, you're just not trying hard enough. ;>) Tom
