Jump to content

yellowss7

Club Member
  • Posts

    3,100
  • Joined

Everything posted by yellowss7

  1. Hey Tom, aren't your roads also in a perpetual state of repair due to the tough winters? I've made quite a few trips from Anchorage and/or Fairbanks to Denali and I can't remember a trip without road repair work going on. And watchout for those occasional Moose. Although if you time it right I guess you can go thru the legs with plenty of room to spare. :rofl: Tom
  2. It's also interesting to note that the Carbon Fiber nosecone and rear wings are now options on the US superlights. Tom
  3. Which end of the car are you planning on mounting it to Jon? :d
  4. Jon, how about adding a cow/cone catcher? :rofl: With that SumoVersion of your's you'll never notice the extra weight. Tom
  5. QED of course. They built the engine and my jenvey's actually have a QED logo on them. Tom
  6. JFGW wrote: James, come on, you know Carbon intakes are lighter and way sexier than plain Ali. :d http://usa7s.net/aspnetforum/upload/533048713_2936423900_0cfa1c81cf.jpg Tom
  7. I just finished putting a coat of wax on the Bonnet and nosecone. (Wife had a flashback of bad memories of me storing these parts (and a few others) in the house during the build ) I need to put a new battery in.(the orignal one is 8 years old:ack:) Last week during the warmer weather, I changed plugs,and wires. No upgrades planned other than a new set of slicks in the spring. I do plan on sanding down the rough fiberglass patch job I did on my Autox rear wings. Yesterday I took a piece of the Painted sideskin that I had cut out for the exhaust hole, and had Ace hardware match it. (I'm going to try that $30 paint your car with a roller technique) Paint in the can looks like a good match. For my Destructo autox wings it should be good enough. Other than that, some stabil in the gas tank, and if the weather warms up a bit. An oil and filter change. That and the normal, retorquing of all fasteners. Tom
  8. Brad, I agree whole heartedly. My face usually hurts at the end of a blat from smiling so much. I have 196hp and i'm sure if I ever had to replace this engine, I would go for a Duratec with even more. As for Mazda's massive hp. His car also weighs about 3,000 pounds or more. :jester: So his power to weight ratio is suspect. Also have video of him at an autox. He's pootling around the course at about 1500 rpm because he can't use the power. :rofl: :rofl: :jester: An BTW Mazda, I haven't seen the actual final weight posted yet. I think I'm still in the running. :ack: . Tom :seeya:
  9. Like I said Brad, I really enjoy my car, and after every run during an autox, me and my passengers are laughing hyterically and breathing real hard. It is sooo much fun. But it is way too easy to break the back end loose with the throttle, even with 10 inch wide slicks. These cars are just flat out fun to drive whatever the power level. I'm just not good enough to utilize all that power, but I still enjoy it. My point is that you can save a boatload of money by buying a good used one, especially one in the 135-150 power range, and then if needed drop in a higher power Duratec or Zetec. It would still be 10-20K cheaper than ordering a new one, I'd bet.
  10. Just remember that the "Superlight" was a level of options. All Seven's have the same basic chassis. The Superlight spec had carbon dash, wings, etc. Check out the standard items list on Caterham's website. It lists the standard and optional items. The original UK superlight was a 133 horsepowered version. The Superlight R was a 190. The R500 was 242 hp. They later rebadged them as R300, R400, R500. My 2000 superlight did come with a numbered badge for the dash that shows it as Superlight #123. Other than that, you could spec or buy the options to get to that level of trim. If you look at mine, you'll see that I added the clamshell front wings, and I also have the widetrack front suspension, which, from what I was told, I was the first to do that. Normally, widetrack is just for the cycle wing setup. Even then, some of the options are probably unnecessary, like the upgraded ventilated front discs and big brakes. Again IMO.
  11. Ian, is right on. I'm glad I speced my car the way I did, But I paid top dollar to do it. You can buy a very nice car like Al's old one,(sorry, Mopho's) and get a great deal compared to specing a new one at the same level. An I know it's contra to the party line, but 150 hp is plenty for a street going/autoxing seven. Even though I like the power level of mine, I've driven 135-150hp cars that seemed to handle better because I couldn't overdrive them. IMO. If you're into the build process, you could alway disasemble the used one,clean it up and put it back together. You get the same experience and you're sure that you have all the parts. (that's not a given with a new kit btw) As I've said before, the Caterhams are like a toy model kit. If you have all the pieces, it's just putting them together. It's not like the projects that some of the really talented people on this board have completed. The one that's listed in Hemmings looks like a nice car for $28K and It's Yellow too,so what's not to like. Tom Plus you can always upgrade as the urge hits.
  12. And depending on engine spec and gearbox choice, I think your $8K is way light. I tried to price one last night. and I came in around $62K+ for a superlight with 200 hp. (Guessing on the engine, but the Cosworth site has that engine at over 10K alone) Oh, and BTW that doesn't inclued State tax and shipping (where applicable, and I had to pay Custom duties when I picked mine up. Just noticed you're in Texas so State tax doesn't apply to you. For reference, in 2000, all in my Superlight with 6 speed and approx 200 horsepower, was about $55k. Tom
  13. Yellow with Clams. Perfect! The owner has excellent taste. 150hp should make it nice and easy to handle as well. Looks like a nice clean car too. Tom
  14. Ajustable spring platforms too. :thumbs: Best of luck with it. Tom
  15. Martin, Can't be 100% sure but that looks like an F 14. Is That what you drove? Tom
  16. MHKflyer52 wrote: Martin, I think I found a photo of your combat days. Looking good! Tom http://usa7s.net/aspnetforum/upload/354012721_Stearman biplane.jpg
  17. Bob Drye wrote: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :thumbs::flag: I'd love to participate in this discussion but I'm a little right of Rush and my wife said that I'm not allowed to speak to anyone until after the election. Although it seems that those not living in Kalifornia have a good conservative bent. (although Dave's statement about socialism has me worried about Montana. :cheers: God Bless America. :flag: :flag: :flag: Tom
  18. They actually do have a parts catalogue for the K series, so I'd assume that they have one for the Vauxhall as well. (it's a PDF). Tom Here's the link for the Vauxhall parts catalogue. http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/xe/vxe_0808.pdf
  19. James, I'm in a similar situation. QED built my RoverK series and Nobody around here has even heard of K series. I just ordered some parts from QED last week. Easy to deal with and very prompt response from Simon. I just emailed them in the evening here and I had a response first thing the next morning. They even found the paperwork on my build from June of 2000. Exchange rate is finally moving a little back in our favor. Tom
  20. :d Martin, I believe it. The first problem I had with that car was that it would accelarate all by itself. I'd be driving around and sometimes when I was in 2nd gear, the car would start accelerating. I'd shift to 3rd as the revs rose, but it would keep accelarating. Couldn't shift into neutral as it would red line. I'd have to turn it off and pullover. Sometimes it would do it again, other times it wouldn't do it for weeks. I gave it to my mechanic for weeks at a time and it wouldn't do it. Went to a British Leyland dealer, told them about it and they guys says, "yeah they have a problem with the electronic Distributor. You need to replace it." Had my mechanic put in a different electronic pick up and presto, problem fixed. Tom
  21. My first car was a 68 spitfire, great little car. Then I bought a 77 TR7. :ack: Looked great, way more problems than I could handle. In fact mine was White just like this one, but had real minilite wheels. Sold it and saw it on a flat bed at least 3 times afterwards. This says it all. http://usa7s.net/aspnetforum/upload/355750823_tr7.gif
  22. Ballparks and Arena's are still in South Philly. In fact the lot that we were running on was the site of the old Veteran's Stadium. There were markers on the spots of Home plate, and the bases. Must be the perspective of the lenses use. Tom
  23. Lowflyer, good eye spotting Billy Penn. Yeah, that gentlemen's agreement not to build higher than Billy Penn's hat went by the wayside a while back. Chandler AZ, Winter home of Donovan McNabb, and some great golf courses like Superstitions Springs, Ocatio (sp) Tom
  24. I believe the first one is an HDR photo, but I'm not sure. It looks a little surreal to me, but we arrived really early(7:00AM) and the Sun was not yet up so the early morning light may have something to so with it. Tom
×
×
  • Create New...