New Build

Pokey

It should be easier to get the waiver these days. Back in 2008, the state didn't like cars running around without a front plate and spent quite a bit of time looking for reasons to deny a request. Since then, they've added a Collector plate option for cars 30+ years old, and don't even issue a front plate for those registrations.

-John

Washington has had the Collector designation around for many decades, not recent at all. Based on the rules, WSP doesn't have to look very hard to deny waivers since almost all cars leave the factory with a front mount available from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, aesthetics is not considered a valid reason for a waiver.

I could have sworn the made changes to the collector plate around 10 years ago making it far more widely available. Thanks for the correction.

-John

When I had a '68 Dodge, I became too familiar with the rules while waiting for 1998 to arrive.

As mentioned, I reached out to the Washington State Patrol about a front plate exemption, sending an email with the details and a picture of the front where the plate would, in theory, mount. They responded that because no Caterham had yet received a waiver they would contact the manufacturer. Caterham confirmed that they didn't have a mounting bracket and that there wasn't a way to mount the plate otherwise (I now forgive Caterham for the missing bits in my kit) so I've received the waiver. Like John it came in letter form that needs to be kept with the car.

Greg - Congratulations. Now bundle up and get on the road.

Weather has not been great for driving, but I did get out for a bit yesterday for a good coating of wet pine needles and leaves.

The (lack of) plate was an inconvenience but I still managed 500 miles on just trip permits.

As mentioned, I reached out to the Washington State Patrol about a front plate exemption, sending an email with the details and a picture of the front where the plate would, in theory, mount. They responded that because no Caterham had yet received a waiver they would contact the manufacturer. Caterham confirmed that they didn't have a mounting bracket and that there wasn't a way to mount the plate otherwise (I now forgive Caterham for the missing bits in my kit) so I've received the waiver. Like John it came in letter form that needs to be kept with the car.

You're welcome :-)

Cheers,

-Bruce

• 2 years later...

Realize this is an old thread, but one of the best reading sessions I’ve had in a while now. My first post to the forum, I ordered a 420R kit in March 2021, and it is now state side due for delivery in November! Had to go with British Racing Green. (Parts shortages, shipping delays). We are also in the Seattle area now. Mostly ready for its arrival, ordering a garage heater today though… 

-Toby

Edited by SeattleTR
  • Thanks 1

@BruceBe

Bruce,

I just read your 2 yo post about Cat prepping the cars with windscreen and weather for shipping.  You stated that getting the rubber strip requires heating.  This is new info to me and I can tell you when I tried to attatch my new screen to a new(old new stock) scuttle with new rubber, the screen bottom touches the scuttle and I couldn't compress the rubber low enough to align up to the stanchion screws.  I opted to leave the rubbed off.

I did notice that my first screen, an older lotus, had rounder lower edge arch and there was a half inch gap allowing room for the rubber.

I bought a new screen to have that blue tint safety glass, but its bottom edge is much flatter.

Could you describe the heating process please?

Or am I better off putting the new glass in the old frame?

I could just mount higher if I attach directly to the scuttle,  but Im wanting to use those frame brackets that fix the height.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

While not part of a new build anymore, I thought someone might be interested in seeing one of many options available for installing a Signal Dynamics Backoff XP.  I opted to install in close proximity to the brake light switch.  The Backoff XP is attached with 3M Dual Lock.  Note the white wire with the red stripe isn't attached, I've just terminated with a female blade connector that can be removed to make switching between the two modes simple.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb4f7d51f77313f07862de311aab540a.jpeg