Kitcat Posted May 12, 2022 Posted May 12, 2022 Those who have followed my Caterhamâs occasional issues know that my rear suspension was âsolidâ at last yearâs NJMP. I had it properly sorted over the winter at Rocky Mountain Caterham. It turns out I replaced the A-frame (damaged when I had a half shaft break on track) with one of the wrong spec. So wrong that when my mechanic forced it into place, it bent the shock absorbers and the shaft was unable to move in the shock tube.  Per Nathan Down, who did the suspension over the winter, there are many varieties of Caterham A-frames: at least 8 between â96-98 alone. Nathan, who was a Caterham engineer in the â90âs, said the company kept tinkering with them until they were happy with the results.  Apparently, since myâ03 Cat was a race version, speced for the SCCA in the US, it came with one of the many late â90âs versions, not the final version (so much for racing improving the breedâŚ). When I replaced it, I was sent the â03 version which was completely wrong. 1
CarlB Posted May 12, 2022 Posted May 12, 2022 Do you know the part number of the one you have now? The late 90s race version. I just replaced mine and I want to make sure I have the correct one. I installed the A frame first and had to use a lot of force to get the radius rods hooked up. The car is still on jack stands so I haven't put it on the ground to see if anything is binding.Â
Kitcat Posted May 13, 2022 Author Posted May 13, 2022 Carl, I donât have that. Since mine is fromâ96, I donât think itâs relevant to your spec. You may  need to contact Caterham UK with your carâs serial #. It was all done so seat of the pants, even they may not know?
MV8 Posted May 13, 2022 Posted May 13, 2022 If you can't hold a replacement part up to the opposite side to compare before installation, a tape measure will do. Even if it is off/bent, one can take off the opposite side and have the bent one modified to match if the shop is willing. Â The one being replaced could have been rebuilt the same way or a new one fabricated; mirrored off the opposite side. Shops that make custom arms for other applications would probably be willing to handle a side job like that. Â Â
bball7754 Posted May 14, 2022 Posted May 14, 2022 Mike - wasnât your car in a 24 hour race (Buttonwillow?), which is why it has the large gas tank? Â As I remember, Nathan drove a Caterham in that race. Â Your car? Â Think they ran a Caterham 2 years in a row, Â but not sure Nathan drove both years. Â Lots of rain one of the years. Â Apologies for the mini thread hi-jack. Â Steve
Kitcat Posted May 15, 2022 Author Posted May 15, 2022 Hey Steve: My Caterham  took first in class, thrird overall, in the 2009 edition of 25 Hours at Thunderhill. It was an effort put together by Bruce Beachman, who as you know, is now a Caterham dealer par excellence.  The car started out as a race car built to SCCA E-Production class, in 2003 and was upgraded by Bruce and owner/driver, Mark McClure, in 2008 to ST class, as I recall for the 2009 race.
bball7754 Posted May 15, 2022 Posted May 15, 2022 Thatâs what I thought. Â Ask Nathan as Iâm pretty sure he drove one year. Â Maybe not 2009.
Kitcat Posted May 15, 2022 Author Posted May 15, 2022 (edited) Nathan told me he drove a Caterham in the 2003 25 hour event as part of the Car and Driver team. It didnât hurt that he was an ace Caterham mechanic (or that he was faster than the Car and Driver writer/drivers:)).  He and Josh Robbins were at my refurbished Caterhamâs shakedown track day 4 days ago. They were able to diagnose why my Caterham 6 speed suddenly wouldnât go into reverse. And fix it the next day. It turns out that the spring loaded Quaife manufactured Caterham shifter can wear out. Who knew? They swapped in a spare and all was right. Edited May 15, 2022 by Kitcat
bball7754 Posted May 15, 2022 Posted May 15, 2022 My intro to track days was with Nathan. Â The spring after I purchased my Caterham, LOG was in St. Louis. Â Nathan was working at RMSCI, and he and Ben Wofford came to St. Louis. Â As part of LOG there was a track day at Gateway, and I think Nathan came out with me during my first session, as well as providing some coaching. Â What I really remember was going out with him during his last session, and getting a sense of what it was like to truly drive on track. Â
fastg Posted May 16, 2022 Posted May 16, 2022 (edited) Unless they have changed Gateway a lot it is on the very high end of the dangerous scale. For the motorcycles that actually had a NO PASSING ZONE. WTF a no passing zone on the race track!  Graham Edited May 16, 2022 by fastg
Kitcat Posted May 16, 2022 Author Posted May 16, 2022 Steve, so you have been a se7en owner since â05? Who here has owned longer? I guess Tom G (Yellow SS, who went to the LOG event the year before)? Anyone else?  Speaking of longevity and se7ens owners, Josh Robbins of RMCaterham told me recently that new orders for Caterhams are split  equally at age 45. Half are older than that, half younger.  In any event, Nathan would be a great track mentor: easygoing and low key. But also smart and talented. He was a US Caterham dealer for a moment in the early 2000âs.
yellowss7 Posted May 16, 2022 Posted May 16, 2022 (edited) I built my yellow car in 2000. Â I bought the orange car around 2015. Â Both cars are fun to drive, one is easy to drive thee other is a beast. Â Strangely enough I was 45 when I bought Yellow. Â đ Edited May 16, 2022 by yellowss7
bball7754 Posted May 16, 2022 Posted May 16, 2022 Graham - yes, in retrospect Gateway was not the optimal track for my first track day. Â It is definitely on the dangerous side, with extremely limited runoff areas and lots of concrete walls. Â TBH, I donât run there anymore. Â Mike - Well, I actually bought the car in 2004 for my 50th birthday, but couldnât get it shipped from Denver until Jan. 2005. Â So, sort of 18 years.đ Â Steve
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now