Just finished (sorta) Birken.

NeoBear

Hey everyone!

After a year and some change and an unbelievable amount of support from Tom my 7 is done. I can't believe what an adventure it has been, I am insanely happy with the finished result.

Specs for the car for anyone interested. Just a standard widebody Birkin kit only thing I asked Tom for was an upgrade to the 2.5 and a dry sump, also had the car painted the same color as my last car "Nitrous Blue" and asked to remove any chrome possible, otherwise I just deferred to Tom on everything else. For context I knew nothing about building cars when I started (still don't think I know much). I did not know what an upright was or an AN-fitting or anything really, I went in completely clueless. This was only achievable for me thanks to Tom and support from friends at work.

Getting some last min paperwork together to head to DMV this week, looking to start SB100 process and hopefully everything goes smooth.

There are a few things left for me to do. I need to decide if I am going use the grill the car came with, I would really prefer one with the seven logo I may try to paint one on. I also have some buddies in the fab shop at work making me up a license plat holder for the rear. Also, the under guard for the sump will probably have to be modified to clear my oil lines. Once I get an operators permit, I will need to get the throttle bodies balanced and more than likely the car needs a tune.

Anyway, can't wait to get out there we have some amazing back roads here in Fresno CA and I haven't been on a track in almost two years, to say I miss it would be an understatement!

Ok sorry I was so excited I forgot why I even posted. I wanted to ask if anybody has information on a good cover for 7s? I am looking for something kind of form fitting but ultimately something that can protect the car more than anything. My car will sit in the garage and my dogs go in and out through dog doors I just want something that will protect the car from furball paws. Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6700.JPG

IMG_6702.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

Edited by NeoBear
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations !!

looks great.

I did upgrade to a newton “aero” style gas cap. I like the look and found the stock one leaked a little with. A full tank. Tom also had a great fix for the filler neck (if not already done) cut back the lip of aluminum left where the angled filler neck joins the flat tank top. This prevents gas splashing which prematurely shuts off the gas pump.

19 minutes ago, CBuff said:

@NeoBear. Rick at time machines just posted he had a few Caterham covers. Not sure of the exact fitment with the Birkin but he could likely weigh in

Thanks buddy I replied in his thread!

44 minutes ago, wemtd said:

Congratulations !!

looks great.

I did upgrade to a newton “aero” style gas cap. I like the look and found the stock one leaked a little with. A full tank. Tom also had a great fix for the filler neck (if not already done) cut back the lip of aluminum left where the angled filler neck joins the flat tank top. This prevents gas splashing which prematurely shuts off the gas pump.

I have not had any leaking, but I have only been around the block. Can you post a photo of the "aero" gas cap for reference I have to admit I find the stock one kind of boring/bland haha.

actually, I found it haha thanks.

Edited by NeoBear
googled it haha

1 hour ago, CBuff said:

@NeoBear. Rick at time machines just posted he had a few Caterham covers. Not sure of the exact fitment with the Birkin but he could likely weigh in

Cannot say with a Birkin, Merkin, Berkin, Locost of another car! You's pay's your money and You's take your chances!

Glad there that we have one more out here in California. Tom definitely does a nice job. I created a wooden buck and formed some stainless screening that serves as a very nice grill. The SS screening is available from Pegasus. Pretty simple fab job. You could easily mask and spray the "7" on it. Happy to ship you the buck if you're interested. PM me.

98445F52-8CC7-4E60-9D25-422DE1CBB04B.jpeg

Edited by papak
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, papak said:

Glad there that we have one more out here in California. Tom definitely does a nice job. I created a wooden buck and formed some stainless screening that serves as a very nice grill. The SS screening is available from Pegasus. Pretty simple fab job. You could easily mask and spray the "7" on it. Happy to ship you the buck if you're interested. PM me.

98445F52-8CC7-4E60-9D25-422DE1CBB04B.jpeg

Yeah I really like that look and any holes you drilled look really well hidden. Anyway you could maybe send me a Pick of the Buck? I would really be interested in taking a look maybe I could fab one, maybe hah.