Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK guys help me out this looks terrible I wanna get rid of the spare tire carrier I want to keep that euro plate because I've got away with it for many years so I keep the regular plate inside the car. Any ideas? Thank you!

 

image.thumb.jpeg.d925c5370f41664bb5f350bce4c481e8.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Keep it. It makes a good bumper.  Maybe not a good bumper, but at least a sacrificial tube structure.

Edited by IamScotticus
Posted
4 hours ago, TC7 said:

OK guys help me out this looks terrible I wanna get rid of the spare tire carrier I want to keep that euro plate because I've got away with it for many years so I keep the regular plate inside the car. Any ideas? Thank you!

 

image.thumb.jpeg.d925c5370f41664bb5f350bce4c481e8.jpeg

 

Actually that is a very useful piece of kit. I’ve see people remove the spare tire to use it to carry other items like a large water tight suit case, a picnic basket and even fuel jugs.

I suggest if you believe you’ll never ever need it then do as others have done and saw it off flush with the rear panel.

As for the large plate and light, cut the tubes off a couple of inches from the plate bracket. Then find (or machine) a bar that is about 3 to 4 inches long that will slip into the tubes on both the car and the plate bracket. Have the bars welded into the bracket tube ends. Then slip the other ends into the open ends of the tubes on the car. Drill through the tubes and the bar so you can fit a hitch pin clip through the parts to hold them in place. This will give you your plate bracket, wiring and light but without the large gap from the missing spare. But save the off cuts!

If at some point you wish to return it to use for a spare tire (or other items) just make two more inserts for the off cut tube bits. Have these welded into one of the open ends of each off cut tube. Slide them into the tubes on the car and drill the bar using the holes in the existing tubes. Measure the distance from the weld bead around the plate bracket tube bars to the holes in the bars and then mark the open end of the tubes accordingly and drill them as well. Two more hitch pin clips and there you are.

Posted

image.thumb.png.359d29ce8f3579e5b1b3e14bb0a7bec9.png

 

Example photo of when I saw an owner who chopped their carrier off.

I believe they can re-attach as described by theDreamer above, although I don't know what they have under those caps. I've definitely seen photos of the removable setup as described.

 

I stopped carrying my spare early on but keep the carrier for future luggage opportunities, and it gives me a LITTLE piece of mind that somebody will bump that before the rest of my car.

Posted

i'll share photos of mine tomorrow. It's been so long i don't even remember what mine looks like with the spare tire holder. Have never needed it. 

Posted

Thanks everybody! a lot of good ideas. One of the ideas I was considering it's just section the thing so it gets closer to the body I'll never carry anything in that That's what the passenger seats for LOL.

 

Posted (edited)

The Westfield has 2 little stubs that stick out about an inch, and the rig bolts on over them. I just built a shorter one to hold the plate, and can switch back if needed

DSCN0629[1].JPG

Edited by 7Westfield
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...