The Goat's Birkin Under Construction

scannon

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably going to end up modiifying a DOT motorcycle turn siignal like you did. Seems like the sealed beam swap idea is going to be the best thing for the headlights.

Guess I should stop messing up this thread since it's not about lights.

Probably going to end up modiifying a DOT motorcycle turn siignal like you did. Seems like the sealed beam swap idea is going to be the best thing for the headlights.

Guess I should stop messing up this thread since it's not about lights.

You're welcome Jim.

Now back on topic...that Duratec motor is a very tempting upgrade from a Zetec. I like the Raceline sump too!

• 3 weeks later...

New photos for everyone to enjoy. Tom put the engine and transmission in yesterday. He also added a 12V outlet for the radar detector/phone charging. There is also a photo of the electric water pump mount that Tom fabricated (rather than zip tied as is customary). Also a picture of where the wiring comes in.

Tom does some clean work.

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3097.jpg

Performance. There are no clearance issues with the water pump pulley. You can see where it is blanked off in the last photo above on front right side of the engine.

Tom installed the ewp on his car and then went back to the stock pulley setup. He said that the temperature would fluctuate quite a bit from when the thermo was open and closed. He tried various ways of counteracting this, like drilling a few small holes in the thermostat switch so that cool water always flowed into the block - but then he had trouble getting the car to warm up. So, he went back to the stock setup. One thing he wasn't sure about though was whether the temp fluctuations were really as significant as he thought based on where the water temp sensor is located. I think it is more an issue of where the sensor is located which gives you amplified readings.

Tom left his ewp in the car, just not connected to the system. If I find I am uncomfortable with the system, I can always just put the stock pulley back on and leave it there as well.

I think Dick sets all his cars up with the ewp and has had no issues.

Here is question though for all you engineers: How is it that an ewp can add 3+ hp? Is the drain from a pulley really that great? 3+ hp is a lot of actual power, and that is a small pulley. Same with the crank pulley. I have a lightweight one on my car, which should add another 3+ hp (in addition to other nice benefits like throttle response). I was talking this over with my father-in-law (a civil engineer), and we both didn't understand how a pulley can take that much power from the system - although I have seem people prove pulley/ewp changes with dynos.

Here is question though for all you engineers: How is it that an ewp can add 3+ hp? Is the drain from a pulley really that great? 3+ hp is a lot of actual power, and that is a small pulley. Same with the crank pulley. I have a lightweight one on my car, which should add another 3+ hp (in addition to other nice benefits like throttle response). I was talking this over with my father-in-law (a civil engineer), and we both didn't understand how a pulley can take that much power from the system - although I have seem people prove pulley/ewp changes with dynos.

There is a considerable amount of drag in a mechanical water pump even when it's not pushing water due to the seals and bearings. Changing to an electric water pump may not make a big difference down at lower RPM's, but when you start thinking about running at higher RPM's the impellar is really screaming and pushing a lot of water - something an electric pump won't be doing.

Also, the smaller the pulley is the faster it spins and thus more horsepower is required to spin it.

Does that make sense?

I understand the general principle that it takes power - but what I am surprised is how much power it takes. One hp is something like 550 ft. lbs per second right? I just wouldn't think that that pulley sucks that much from the system.

Here are some updated photos from Tom. You can see the upgraded stainless braided fuel lines, the throttle bodies, and the currently very ugly hosing for cooling. Tom and I discussing dressing that hosing up a bit with black braided hoses and AN fittings.

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

Will you be around in either Gypsum or Erie, Colorado with your Birkin during March 20-28, when I'm planning to come down for the inaugural drive of my own Seven?

Skip, yesterday was both a happy and sad day. Tom called me with the engine running - happy day. 10 minutes after getting off the phone I realized that I will not be there for its first test drive - sad day.

Alaskossie, I plan on bringing the car down from Gypsum to Erie on March 21 - IF the weather cooperates. The car will then stay at friend's garage in Erie until April when I drive it to Tahoe. Maybe we can do a brief meet up in Erie on March 21. If Skip is going to be around, I was going to swing by his place so he could take a look.

Edited by thegoat

As an update, it seems that the car starts and idles fine, but is having some trouble revving above a few thousand rpm's. Tom said after some tuning that it now revs in neutral freely but that it is having trouble when under load.

I have no experience tuning, so I made sure that the engine management system I went with had a working tune. I guess the tune sent from Texas Motor Works wasn't all mapped out like promised? :confused:

I am pretty confident that Tom will get it straightened out though.

Sunday the 21st it is. I'd be happy to host a gathering of the faithful.

Danny, what time do you expect to be here?

The long range weather report showed good weather for the Denver area. Getting from Gypsum to Denver might be a problem.

Skip,

I'll try to be there, but my 7 will still be in the garage at Thomas Vintage. I don't get in to Denver until late on the 20th (Saturday). It will be fun to see the guys again (old and new).

I expect I will be there afternoon time (330-4p). But I may be 7-less. The car is having trouble running above 4500 rpms which right is thought right now to be a bum crank position sensor. We will see...

Well, this is going to suck if the two new Sevens can't be here for us to drool over. But, hey its a party, we can make do if we have to.

Nine people have already said they will be here, all but one are current owners of Sevens. If the weather is good we will be in Seven Heaven.

More photos.

First mod will be to either change those head lamps for black ones or

paint them black to fit the black and white theme. Second will be to

black out the windshield trim. Then, I think it needs a stripe down

the side.

But it looks tough/ugly like I hoped.

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg