MightyMike's Birkin

MightyMike

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, well done. That car looks outstanding. You have skills when it comes to modding your cars.

Did you have the diffuser painted or did it come black? That and the canards will have to go on my list of mods after I replace that ghetto stock fuel filler cap my car has on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. very nice!! Lovely car we hope your back gets better enough to drive it sometime.

question: Did you make the aluminum center tunnel yourself? Mine is the original and i am thinking about eventually replacing it as well.

The tunnel and backpanel were custom made out of aluminum by someone else. I like the new tunnel far better than the cheap fiberglass original. I also had driveshaft loops fabricated to go under the tunnel.

• 1 month later...
Danny - diffuser came powdercoated semi-gloss black. Canards are from Carbon Fibre Mods out of the UK. Shipping was very reasonable and quick.

[/url]http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/Kit-Car.aspx

Mike, have you noticed any difference with these? I see on their website two varieties and wondered if you had any opinion on which to go with.

Danny,

I have not tracked my Birkin yet, so I have no basis to opine. I also cannot state that I have noticed any improvement on the street because the car has always felt very competent at higher speeds. :)

Purely from an appearance stand point, the size I fitted seems proportional to the rest of the nose. A larger size may detract from the car.

Perhaps someone else with canards can chime in??

Mike

I can't speak to the diffuser but my Caterham SV has similar canards as well as a chin spoiler. Before adding them, the front end started getting nervous at about 110 mph. With them the front end (and I) start getting nervous at 135 mph.

Both of these were developed in a wind tunnel for the Caterham CSR. The CSRs also had little kick ups in the tops of the front cycle fenders and inboard coilover suspensions.

Mike,

Beautiful car! (Of course, I'm partial, as my Caterham Seven is also silver and carbon, but no polishing needed to keep any any aluminum bright!).

Where did you get your rear fenders? I see that the c/f weave pattern on yours runs on the diagonal. My rear fenders are from Caterham, and the c/f weave pattern runs vertically; but my Millwood full-coverage c/f rock shields run on the diagonal. I'm trying to see if I can get the shields in a vertical pattern (or find some c/f wings that run on a diagonal pattern?) Anyway, something to think about while my Seven is tucked in for its long winter nap.

Did you clear-coat your c/f fenders? I would strongly advise it, because c/f is porous, and eventually moisture will get in, and the sun will heat it and will create white spots that are very hard to remove, and the c/f will eventually look dull. With a clear-coat, the c/f takes on depth, and a real three-dimensional look.

Alaskossie,

Believe me, your fenders look twice as good as mine! I purchased mine from Texas Motor Works and was rather disappointed at the quality. First, while I paid full carbon fiber prices, all I got was carbon fiber weave over plain ol' fiberglass. Even then, the weave quality is average at best. Whomever made the rear fenders pulled them out of the molds before the fiberglass had a chance to fully cure as they required quite a bit of work to get a proper fit.

On the bright side, they came to me with a nice clear coat. I had the front third of the rear fenders clear bra'ed. I bought a bunch of cheap polypropylene computer mouse pads with kittens and such on them and glued them to the undersides of the fenders, so I won't have to worry about stars and cracks. They're holding up quite nicely so far.

As far as your stone shields are concerned, perhaps you could cover your existing shields with 3M carbon fiber vinyl in the direction desired...

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/

or check out Carbon Mods...

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Polymer-Stone-Chip-Guards__CMSCGWFLD01.aspx

Mike

Edited by MightyMike

Mike,

The 3M film is a great idea! I am philosophically opposed to covering items with c/f film if the covered item is not really carbon fiber, but here I would be covering real c/f with c/f film! I like it!

However, on my car, I did make one exception to my rule -- I covered the exposed frame cross-members in the cockpit footwells with a c/f channel, to protect the paint --- then I covered the c/f channel with 3M film, to protect it....

No wonder my car weighs so much....

Mike,

I meant to add that unlike the "flat" Carbon Mods c/f stone guards, the Millwood c/f guards that I have on my car curve around the edge of the rear fenders; I'd like to keep that feature if I can -- see photos.

I'm thinking of getting longer Millwoods to cover a bit more of the fender, and to eliminate the vestigial "notch" in the Caterham left fender -- which serves no purpose on a car with the exhaust on the other side, or even with a side-exit exhaust on the lh side.

You can see from the photos that in 7000 miles last August, rock chips pretty well peppered my existing Millwood guards, which were clear-coated but not otherwise protected. Next time, I'll cover them with 3M Clear Bra (and perhaps the c/f-pattern film you suggested!).

7c:f fender.1.jpg

7c:f fender.2.jpg

• 3 months later...