Caterham Super Seven Sprint for Sale

Tony

And an antenna!!

It does look nice. Would this car have had the de dion?

A '96 model Caterham could have been either a live axle or DeDion and I can't tell which it has by the photos. I think you could still get a live axle car up to 2002 or 2003 when it was phased out.

That's a nice looking car. It looks as though it has the old-style front suspension and I *think* it looks like drum brakes in the back. So, I'm guessing live axle.

Dave

Tim, the seller is very helpful and has been nice to work with (I have decided to look for a higher-spec car that is already licensed in California). The car is a 4-speed, live axle, drum brakes and Tim is the original owner. The car seems to be a very nice, basic, lower-spec Seven and would probably make an excellent "starter" Seven for someone.

Sorry, still trying to decide if I want any DeCidedly French parts on my future car! :cooldude:

Just for Grits and Shins, ya' might even find me putting SU's on one. Except for the problems of the nipples poking the bonnet .....

Edited by JimmyHilton

Sorry, still trying to decide if I want any DeCidedly French parts on my future car! :cooldude:

Just for Grits and Shins, ya' might even find me putting SU's on one. Except for the problems of the nipples poking the bonnet .....

The original design might have been French but I'm pretty sure the Caterham DeDion tubes were made by Arch so at least it was made in the UK. :)

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with a live axle and drum brakes in a Seven but I would probably replace the 4-speed with a 5-speed if it were mine. Nice looking car either way!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Terry

The live axle cars are fun to drive, but the de Dion cars area a HUGE step forward in rude quality, handling and make the 7 feel more connected

The live axle cars are fun to drive, but the de Dion cars area a HUGE step forward in rude quality, handling and make the 7 feel more connected

The de Dion may be rude but it makes up for it in ride quality. :D

Don't want to troll here or start a 200-post discussion. But after driving or riding in a bunch of Sevens I came to the conclusion that proper spring and shock setup makes a bigger difference in handling than live vs. deDion. No experience with IRS, though. So, while deDion has a theoretical advantage I would not call it "huge". There is probably a reason that mainstream automotive technology practically abandoned deDion decades ago. Yes I know there are a few other deDion cars left like Smart and a special Ranger version.

O.K., now I have done it....but I bet there were earlier threads about this topic.

Edited by slomove