Superformance new USA Caterham Distributor

Kess

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, superformance.

*edit*

I think you can still buy from Caterham USA in Denver, but he will likely be buying the kits from Superformance. Hopefully he can still hold enough of a profit to keep going.

Daniel

Edited by TurboWood

Actually that is what I took away from the original press release too, the writer just rewrote it into his own words and jumped to the conclusions insinuated by Caterham.

I see this as a good example of the difference between imply and infer. It is easy to see how one might infer from Caterham's press release what the AutoWeek article clearly implies, mostly by the use of the word "legally", but the wording of the original release did NOT specifically imply anything other than a new distributor. At least not how I read it.

Dave - I'm sure Caterham can help figure out a way for you to get a check to them. :)

So.......I'm a bit confused.

If one wanted to buy a Caterham in the USA in the near future is that possible? If so, from whom?

dave

I just looked at the CaterhamUSA site and the "Retailers" tab is not currently there. I am not much of a geographer, but I think your closest dealer choices would be Beachman Racing near Seattle (beachmanracing@mac.com) or Jon at the former distributor in Denver.

Sean,

Obviously the offending sentence from the Caterham press release is this:

"Caterham Cars and its iconic Seven will be officially sold in the USA with a new US distributor as of January 1st 2014."

We 7ers know that Caterham USA was the former "official" US distributor, and that Superformance is now the "official" "new US distributor."

But AW's Graham Kozak has, without any justification in the facts, interpreted (or "inferred") that the Caterham press release was announcing, for the first time in recent decades, an "official" Caterham distributor for the US -- obviously implying that the earlier Caterham USA efforts were those of a grey-market, back-alley or otherwise shady enabler of US drivers who needed their Caterham fix (and consequently, that perhaps this firm was skirting the edges of, or taking questionable advantage of, US laws and regulations).

Any savvy car person who reads about a new "official" importation of a limited-production car from Europe (with all of the mouth-watering unobtanium residing over there and seemingly just out of reach) had got to wonder what US laws were bent or finessed to permit entry of the Caterhams that are already here.

I hope that Caterham USA can set AW's Mr. Kozak straight.

I had some communication with Jon and he's not terribly disturbed. The fact is superformance wants as much press as possible and these articles that suggest Caterham USA did not exist (or existed in some unofficial capacity) will not have an impact on his future. So, I think he's just going to swallow his pride and continue to try to help the 7 community.

Daniel

Thanks gents -

I looked at the Caterham USA site to look for retailers and that tab is gone. I then looked at the Superformance site and they brag that they are the source for Caterham but have no info yet, that I can find, about how to purchase one nor what the models/cost are.

I don't mean any disrespect by this but I do not know who the Beachman racing folks are and how they fit into this scheme. I looked for a Beachman racing site and I got a cool blog with Caterham photos but no info on the cars or how to purchase one.

So..........I very well could have this wrong but it appears to me that if I had a wad of cash and wanted to go out and buy a new Caterham in the USA right now I couldn't really do it.

I'd love to be corrected on this and welcome info and input.

Thanks again,

Dave

Maybe we should take an optimistic approach and assume that the existing Retailers are not SOL. Beachman appears to still be in business as a dealer.

When this story broke, I went out to the Caterham USA site and the retailers page was still there. I actually found a new retailer, Turn 7, who is located at Autobahn motorsports park outside Chicago. http://www.turn7motorsport.com/

Believe that Randy Chase's firm is still active as a retailer ([url=http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com][/url]http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com) and there is George Alderman at Mid-Atlantic (http://www.midatlanticcaterham.com/).

Know there are a few others - Sevens and Elans in Boston, one in Texas, plus a few more.

Steve

Edited by bball7754

I don't mean any disrespect by this but I do not know who the Beachman racing folks are and how they fit into this scheme. I looked for a Beachman racing site and I got a cool blog with Caterham photos but no info on the cars or how to purchase one. ...

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave - Beachman Racing was the dealer and builder of my CSR. In the Northwest he is well known for his support of Caterhams. If you have not already had the chance, you can see some of his info by reading his prior posts on the USA7s forum.

Dave,

The "retailers" tab was removed over the last few days. Other things have changed, and will continue to change with the US Caterham web-site, as Superformance takes over that web presence and refreshes it with whatever look, info, and branding they mutually plan with Caterham Cars LTD.

There is updated pricing with the re-launch of Caterham in the US - if you'd like, contact me privately, if you are interested in purchasing one of these great cars, and our location, expertise, and background as an authorized Caterham Cars dealer is a good fit.

Best,

-Bruce

Thanks gents -

I looked at the Caterham USA site to look for retailers and that tab is gone. I then looked at the Superformance site and they brag that they are the source for Caterham but have no info yet, that I can find, about how to purchase one nor what the models/cost are.

I don't mean any disrespect by this but I do not know who the Beachman racing folks are and how they fit into this scheme. I looked for a Beachman racing site and I got a cool blog with Caterham photos but no info on the cars or how to purchase one.

So..........I very well could have this wrong but it appears to me that if I had a wad of cash and wanted to go out and buy a new Caterham in the USA right now I couldn't really do it.

Thanks again,

Dave

For anyone hoping that the new USA Distributor will increase the exposure of Caterham in the United States, all you have to wait for is this weekend.

Superformance is putting up their inaugural Caterham display at the Barrett-Jackson Auction for next week being held in Scottsdale, Arizona. For anyone who has been there you already know the huge amounts of all kinds of people passing through from the average Joe to the rich and famous.

Superformance flew in a few of the brand new cars as well as this race car that just arrived in LA airport last night and is on its way to Scottsdale. There will also a few people from Caterham flying in from the UK as well to kick this new era off. Knowing the owner of Superformance, I would not be surprised if he goes out and grabs ahold of a cameraman and drags them over to the Caterham display!

01-09-14.jpg

Too bad we are just finding out about Scottsdale. With a little advance notice I and maybe some others might have trailered or driven our Caterhams down there just to show a little owner support (and take in the auction).

Superformance might want to look into becoming a sponsor of this forum and having a presence here.

I'm sure they would, but you half to keep in mind they had no idea they were going a week ago, and the ink is not even dry on the contracts. Give them a little break, here they are trying to get the car promoted ASAP and they are already receiving criticism for not doing the impossible.

But I doubt many really realize just how quickly and recently this all came about. so everyone is running around with their hair on fire to do as good as they can.

From past history, Superformance as a distributor respects it's dealers and prefers them to do the selling and customer interaction. On the otherhand you will be happy to hear Lance Stander, Superformance CEO is extremely approachable and you could call him at home and he would not mind at all. He is also getting up to speed trying to absorb all the concerns, improvements and advancement opportunities there are to support the Caterham dealers and their customers.

It's only been about a week now and he's flying cars in just for this so you can already see the level of commitment, and enthusiasm he has for doing this as good as possible. I am sure once the dust settles and reality onces again sets in, all things will start to fall into place.

One side note you may find very interesting... Lance Stander has always loved the Lotus 7 and it's cousins. He still owns a Superformance S1 as does his son, but also agrees the Caterham is the benchmark to compare to. And so this is a little more than just a selling opportunity for him and his family. I would not be surprised if he sets up an open house at some point this year just for the Caterham crowd, although, I suppose he now has no choice if he ever happens to read this. :)

With all due respect and then some.......can you tell us who you are and who you represent. Screen names are all well and good for chat but when it comes to business it changes in my mind.

Turn about being fair play and all - my name is Dave Kirk and I live in Bozeman, MT and run a VERY small bicycle company.

dave

I'm sure they would, but you half to keep in mind they had no idea they were going a week ago, and the ink is not even dry on the contracts. Give them a little break, here they are trying to get the car promoted ASAP and they are already receiving criticism for not doing the impossible.

But I doubt many really realize just how quickly and recently this all came about. so everyone is running around with their hair on fire to do as good as they can.

From past history, Superformance as a distributor respects it's dealers and prefers them to do the selling and customer interaction. On the otherhand you will be happy to hear Lance Stander, Superformance CEO is extremely approachable and you could call him at home and he would not mind at all. He is also getting up to speed trying to absorb all the concerns, improvements and advancement opportunities there are to support the Caterham dealers and their customers.

It's only been about a week now and he's flying cars in just for this so you can already see the level of commitment, and enthusiasm he has for doing this as good as possible. I am sure once the dust settles and reality onces again sets in, all things will start to fall into place.

One side note you may find very interesting... Lance Stander has always loved the Lotus 7 and it's cousins. He still owns a Superformance S1 as does his son, but also agrees the Caterham is the benchmark to compare to. And so this is a little more than just a selling opportunity for him and his family. I would not be surprised if he sets up an open house at some point this year just for the Caterham crowd, although, I suppose he now has no choice if he ever happens to read this. :)

Just a Superformance owner passing along some chit chat from the Superformance circles and just trying to help out our cousins. No business involved, only fellow owners and just keeping it positive, guys!

thanks

Cool - I imagine you can understand why I would ask as someone new, with only one post to their name, shows up and strongly defends a company. So often when this happens it's a rep of some sort or someone with some financial skin in the game.

FWIW - I don't know Scannon and feel he needs no defense......that said........I took what he had to say as a pure unadulterated compliment to Caterham. Here is a guy who likes the brand so much that he was willing to take the car he bought and paid for, and bring it some distance to help promote the maker of that car. This tells me he loves the brand and that the only negative is that he laments he didn't get enough warning to be able to volunteer his time and effort to the company. If it were one of my bike customers i'd be thanking him for the desire and willingness to make the effort and not giving him any hard time.

Just my 2 cents.

Long live the Seven!

dave

There was no criticism in my post, implied or otherwise. If anything it was a statement of support. I would have liked to have been there to show that support.