U.S. Caterham site up

If it's imported as a kit sans driveline. Then you can get some traction.

The Government really tries to make doing such things difficult for an individual. A business might have more luck as the government will see more dollars for them. You probably need to make a few more calls to customs and get more info. prior to committing.

Probably the best solution from a legal standpoint is to buy an older 7 of the correct age in the UK. Ship it, then restore/modify to your liking. Then sell it before returning to Blighty. Would be less hassle in registering at the state level as well. But of course that might be a bit of a down grade to what you are driving at the moment.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blokko, the sales tax would come in at the state level where the car is registered

Where the car is registered rather than where the car is sold (i.e. the Dealers location)?

I'm working in Boston mid June - going to be looking into the feasibility of a daily commute from NH - which would help on the tax and registration front :-)

Back closer to the original topic - I need to do a bit more digging into this subject, but it appears to me that the differential between a US and UK Westie price versus a US and UK Caterham price is quite a bit lower in the case of the Westie.

In the UK I can get a factory built Westie with all new parts (inc. engine and gearbox) for less that I'd pay for a US kit with an old Miata engine and gearbox (which I'd then have to bolt together). I think this might be a premium worth paying to have a sevenesque car for the duration of my stay - though as Mike (croc) and others have pointed out, a used Cat might still be a better bet if I can source and register one.

Blokko

fyi: While New Hampshire does not have a sales or income tax (unlike most states), you still have to pay road tax & registration fees. So while it is less costly to purchase a car in NH, you still get hit with taxes.

Registration is done through each town clerk's office. Some have web page estimators of your registration fees and road tax you can look up.

cheers

p.

Pretty sure you pay taxes in state where car is first registered. When I bought Orange, I opted to just do it in NJ...if I had the builder/dealer reg in AZ, I would have had to cough up the difference when it was brought to NJ regardless.

It is a bit complicated. To take it a little futher:

In California- If a dealer of a car sells you the car in the state, the dealer is obligated to collect sales tax on the purchase, based on your city of residence in California, regardless of location of registration. The residence determines the tax rate. This is different than any other purchase (not cars, planes, boats) where the location of the transaction determines the rate.

When you do register the car, if the residence is different and uses a different tax rate, than the adjustment is made then (either more due or a credit).

If the vehicle being bought is not picked up in the state, but was transported out of state on a trailer or truck, then it most likely will not require any sales tax being collected at time of sale as sales to out-of-state locations are exempt. The buyer would still be liable for any sales tax at time of registration when it is registered and would pay sales tax based on the state of registration. But any car driven off the lot, requires sales tax collected. If the residence is out of state, I assume they will just use the dealers location tax rate. Some dealers will not mess with this and require all purchases to be driven off the lot.

And as you said, when transporting the car, the tax difference from what you paid, to what you owe locally is calculated.

Some states will issue an exit permit good for a few days up to a month. They usually cost $10 - 20 and no sales or property tax is collected until you register it in your home state. I've done this with dealers and private sales.

Check with the DMV in the state where you are purchasing the car.

• 3 months later...