Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. Now you get it - we have large go karts. :cooldude: Most people who have never driven a seven treat it like a big ol heavy car that has to stick to a line around a corner. In reality you can chuck it into a corner and pretty much do what you want because it will out handle anything around. It was good to see you passing all those Volkswagens :jester:
  2. Croc

    factoid

    Mondo - where do you find your avatars? I think it is funnier than your posting!
  3. How the hell did she get the cars in that crash position? Its like they all aimed at each other?
  4. Why is 1988 bad? State retitling issue?
  5. Photos http://www.wirewheel.com/gallery/98894.jpg http://www.wirewheel.com/gallery/98910.jpg http://www.wirewheel.com/gallery/98896.jpg
  6. Croc

    T-9 Parts

    To put Jack's post another way - the Caterham duratec uses the short input shaft for the T9 installation whereas the Caterham Zetec uses the long input shaft configuration on the T9. I assume the Birkin installation follows the same pattern as I believe they use the same bell housing as Caterham. From hearing Jack's pain first hand, the swap over from short to long on the Caterham 6 speed box required disassembly of much of the gear box. His suggestion of a phone call you would find useful as Jack has had his transmission apart more times than anyone else I know! For ordering bits: 1) I second Jude's recommendation of Burton. I have always had good experience with them and their catalog is really good reading. 2) Try Dick Brink. He seems to always have a good supply of Caterham specific parts even though he deals in Birkins. 3) I am sure Jon at Caterham USA (or UK) would have bits. They had a bunch of transmissions on the shelf when I was there a few times this year.
  7. I think they seal about as well as the factory original. When I saw one that SVT cover the one time in a focus, it was four screws holding it down. There was no seal on each side between the plastic cover and the cam cover. So if water found its way onto the top of the cam cover or the SVT plug cover then it was always going to drain down between the common joint into the central cam cover valley. It was for this reason I never bothered to track down the part that was always missing the time I had the car. You have a much bigger rain issue than I ever did so I really do understand your need for something. At $30 it looks like the link above is a reasonably priced option to get one and see if it works the way you want. The first option of Carbon Mods is probably the best design for what you are trying to prevent since it will at least shed the water off to the side of the block. You could probably fabricate one of these yourself in thin ali as a temporary measure to see if it works?
  8. I have never had it happen to me but how do you deal with it when it starts? Gently slow down?
  9. Croc

    Lotus 23B

    Well it is a premium price for a car with exception history and condition. Hard to object to a price like that for something so rare. I did have a chance to sit in this 19 (and make brrrrm brrrm noises to myself) at Sports & Specialist Cars in Hopewell NJ: http://www.princetonlotus.com/ViewClassic.aspx?id=203 http://www.princetonlotus.com/images/DisplayImage.ashx?id=844&type=full At $199,000 it is also unaffordable for ordinary mortals. I think I still prefer the styling of the 23.
  10. Sorry for the hijack - is there an online link to the European Car article?
  11. Great thread of interesting posts. Good to see all you guys having fun out west with no major casualties!
  12. Croc

    Onken

    Great looking car. I like its new color scheme. It has to be new after its racing was finished as race cars always get banged up? Interesting idea on the nose cone - you have a opening on the top front of the nose cone then further back on the nose cone, a small lip and then another opening. What was your idea for cooling/heat vent removal here?
  13. For anyone wondering why a Fisher Hayabusa should be posted on a sevens forum, you have to see this thing fly on a track. It surprised the hell out of me a few times at the NJMP track day with its speed. It handles just as well as a seven with the benefit of an stylish aero body. And that Hayabusa.....hearing it scream out the top of the rev range is just spine chilling. Now I know why Hank got a Westfield Megabusa.
  14. Karl - I am not sure it is an issue of fitting in the S3 chassis, it is more that Mike is not built with "wide-track" like you and I and as such would be better off in a "narrow-track" seat that holds him better. Also the u-track bars mounted under the floorpan of Mike's would need to be made wider for these seats. Cam cover is on the way - here in a week. Other carbon purchases should follow very shortly. It is part of a master plan to make sure that 1) my superlight is truly superlighter than Tom's superlight, and 2) when I spin next time the dust cloud will prevent you from videoing my embarrassment!
  15. I vote for minilites/panasports - they seem to suit a seven so well and have not dated over the years. As for color it is a deeply personal thing as you saw in your Pistonheads post. I think gold would work quite well.
  16. Are you nuts! It would be graffiti'ed in 5 minutes and torched in 10 minutes! That is still not a nice area of Jersey City. I had a gun pulled on me while driving through that area a year ago.
  17. I had Rt 218 to myself yesterday. Lovely twisties that show off a seven so well. I enjoyed it so much that I did it again and again.... I also like the tunnel on Rt 9D....for some reason I also seem to slowly enter the tunnel.... :cooldude:
  18. Well I proved Martin's theory yesterday. Started up my 300 mile seven drive by filling up at the first gas station as you exit the Holland Tunnel (main tunnel between downtown Manhattan and NJ). Stop at the pump and some tosser in a brand new BMW M3 with obligatory trophy girlfriend gushes over to me saying "Is this the new Lexus LFA? I have seen them on Top Gear!" How the effing hell can you mix a Seven up with a freaking Lexus! :banghead: Same on the rest of the drive, until I hit the backroads, I was ignored by Porsche and BMW drivers. It is at this point, that I must offer my apologies to the Porsche and BMW drivers on this forum as I realize now that you are true automotive enthusiasts worthy of a pedigree car and not some Manhattan status seeking wanker(banker) who buys a car with his annual bonus based on what expensive status symbol his colleagues have recently bought. Clearly, this also explains the general poor average quality of driving around the NYC area.
  19. Mike - I can confirm they do have the cutout in the seat base for a 5 or 6 point. In the photo it is invisible behind the little hump. Check closely at the B2 photo on the website and you can just see the cutout: http://www.tillett.co.uk/car-racing-seat.asp Your bigger issue is that I am pretty sure they are too big to fit in a S3 chassis seven. They will only fit an SV or CSR. Anyway, given your svelte build you would be better off going for the narrower (B1?) tillets as they will fit you tighter and stop you sliding around. Even I am very tempted by these seats as these were installed in my seven at Silverstone and I was amazed that fatso the clown me fitted comfortably in them and even more amazed I survived a day driving. Do you have the adjustable seat rails with these? Karl - How about I give you Boxologist and I take the seats off you? Stop putting up these temptations - I already bought a ton of carbon fiber this week for the car!
  20. If you are going to find Bear Mountain, then run the stretch of Seven Lakes Drive from Sloatsburg to the Bear Mountain Bridge at the junction of Rt6 and Rt202. Then head north on Rt9W past West Point turnoff then take the Rt218 exit. This is a great little twisty road around the back of West Point that runs underneath Storm King Mountain. Sometimes the 1 car space will be free allow you to stop at the bluff on the river for great views. Run Rt218 out until you hit Rt9W north again. I usually loop around by heading north along river road to the I84 bridge over the Hudson River and then coming back down south on Rt9D to Bear Mountain Bridge. In fact I think I am going to do this run today!
  21. Hang on....I am not trailering my car like others! :driving: It would be very tempting however that week I am in Europe on vacation. Sorry but I will pass till next time.
  22. Found on wirewheels.com - no relation to me or any financial interest in it British Racing Green with black leather interior 7,000 miles Excellent condition Carbon Fiber dash 15 inch "Prisoner" wheels 1700cc MWE Super Sprint engine 155hp 5 speed transmission Long cockpit De Dion rear suspension Full weather gear http://www.wirewheel.com/1998-Caterham-Suer-Seven-for-sale-due-in-soon.html No price disclosed.
  23. Found on wirewheels.com, not related to me 1971 LOTUS SUPER SEVEN S4 http://www.wirewheel.com/1971-Lotus-Seven-S4-for-sale.html Built by Lotus as a race car Excellent, freshly prepared condition Holbay Ford Kent cross flow 1600cc engine Engine completely rebuilt with Arias pistons and Kent camshaft Compression: 242-240-240-250 Dry sump with new Cosworth gear set. New plumbing and dry sump tank Light weight flywheel with new clutch assembly Dual Weber 45 DCOE carbs with K&N air filters New Fuel Safe fuel cell and new fuel pump New oil cooler with remote oil filter and all braided stainless steel oil lines New roll bar New Stewart Warner "Maximum Performance" lightweight gauges New Ultrashield aluminum race seat New Fuel Safe fuel cell New Racetec quick release leather steering wheel Complete suspension overhaul and corner weighting New adjustable coil over shocks Delivered "new" with genuine Minilite alloy wheels Fresh Toyo Proxiss R888race competition tires New suspension/sway bar urethene bushings New electronic ignition New instruments New race seat and competition seat belts Original road equipment also available $25,900 http://www.wirewheel.com/gallery/98373.jpg
  24. Martin - I think you hit it on the head. I live less than half a mile from Manhattan financial district/lower Manhattan. I am driving through the Holland Tunnel approach area which is the main tunnel to lower Manhattan. It figures that all those investment bankers are largely status queens and I am not seeing the few drivers who are true enthusiasts. They probably stick it in drive, windows up and air con on and waft along cursing traffic.
  25. Mark Webber's twin? :ack: We look nothing alike - I have more chins than a Chinese phone book and struggle to see my feet when I look down. I also crash less than him.... :jester: More seriously, the rice rocket guys are really friendly here - they always want to chat (side by side at 65mph on the turnpike)
×
×
  • Create New...