Jump to content

Croc

Administrators
  • Posts

    9,187
  • Joined

Everything posted by Croc

  1. I got my car going yesterday to make sure it still runs, tires not going square, etc. Four weeks in the garage not moving and it started first time so I was pretty chuffed. Just ran it around an imaginary track in the very large NYC ferry parking lot 4 blocks away from me because they have not salted that lot. At 30 degrees I froze my face off though. One oops moment - I found a patch of black ice in a shaded part of the lot and spun the car instantly, using light throttle. I was not the only one there. Another guy with his Cobra replica was doing the same thing - we ended up at a nearby diner for coffee to compare frost bite, chat about cars, complain about NJ DMV, etc. I am not taking the car out again for a while - this morning the edges of the Hudson River are frozen and the Morris Canal inlet has frozen over. I am so ready for spring. Bring it on!
  2. :rofl: Its "blond" upside down! I love it - want to get that for my sister
  3. Ok I clearly missed out here. :toetap05: I want what you guys have got. Do you offer double doses? :drool: Or do I just need to drink more so that I have "beer goggles"?
  4. Well I did try and do it and yes it was dangerous! And that video demonstrates exactly why I did not enjoy driving in Moscow. Great video work. I have also spent a week touring around St Petersburg on an old Soviet motorcycle. St Petersburg was a much nicer place than Moscow - more relaxed feeling. So much of the historical buildings preserved. I had no problems riding a motorbike in the city - drivers were very polite. Still had to pay a few bribes to police when I was pulled over for no reason (they said I was speeding....) What camera are you using in your car?
  5. You have just earned my respect as one very brave driver! I found driving in Moscow a terrifying experience in a regular car. I cannot think what it would be like in a Seven. :ack: I think I will stick to driving a Seven in New York City. Do you have a Seven club in Russia?
  6. While it does not use an iphone to control it, I have been flying one of these around the office this week since I got it as a gift over the holidays http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/b527/ I expect it will get plenty of use....
  7. That is one big wheel. Won't a wheel that large chop your legs off? :ack: So when do we get to see pics of your "new" baby? Come on....be brave....post them...
  8. Going down it sounded like he locked the wheels at one point. I am sort of surprised he did not slide all the way to the bottom. When I did my off roading course I was told to let the wheels roll and creep down in low but never brake because once you lock the wheels you were likely to just slide and never regain tire traction.
  9. While I have not done the above door trick before, I did have brain fade once and drive into a car wash in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the sunroof open.... :svengo:
  10. To be honest I do not know what they cost new? I suspect it was probably a lot and the initial depreciation would have been steep. The key attraction for me in the 40th anniversary edition is the paint job - a lovely color combination - but you can order that on any new Cat these days - it is a special request option apparently from what I read on Blatchat earlier this year. Also, Bill I know you are a smart guy - buy low and sell high - only way in business!
  11. No surprise that he is in Dubai for that video. Wide open roads and no traffic equals speed. No twisty stuff though - all dead straight and roundabouts.
  12. A $39000 40th anniversary edition Caterham? Good luck to him if he gets it.
  13. Croc

    soooo wrong

    Call me sick but it would be entertaining to just sit and observe peoples reactions as they drive by! :jester:
  14. Will - in the pic of you above, that would not be Murray Carter's Ford Sierra RS500 over your shoulder? He raced under #48 at one time....
  15. Not at all - we all know Aussie beer is better!
  16. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.
  17. G'day Will, Welcome to the forum - it is nice knowing I am no longer the only Aussie on this Board! Finally we outnumber the Kiwis (by 1) but not the Poms yet! I love the color scheme - orange and black just go together nicely plus it is a safe hi-visibility color scheme. The Toyota engine is perfectly matched for one of these cars and they are so easy to get parts for in Oz. Being on the Gold Coast you have access to some wonderful roads in the hinterland to be driving on (around Lamington National Park comes to mind). Apart from Tasmania, it has to be some of the nicer 7 driving roads in Australia. Given the uneven quality of roads, do you have any problems with the aeroscreen - like having to use a helmet when you are out driving? I usually get to the Gold Coast once a year (from NYC where I live). My sister lives just north of there, towards Brisbane, and I drive from Sydney (where my parents are) to see her usually every year. I will be making the drive again on Xmas eve this year for a quick 3 day trip. A guy in the same street as my parents in Sydney also has a Fraser but I think he has the 1.6l Toyota twin cam screamer from the Corolla. I should ask him which chassis number it is... Keep posting pics - it is nice to see the old country every so often! Cheers
  18. LOL....a Seven swamp buggy!
  19. Wow....your Seven really does fly!
  20. Geez....given the number of sets of jugs he had arrayed over the car at Hooters, it would topped 1400 lbs easily.
  21. LOL... How did he end up across the road like that! Looks close to bottoming out - something John and I discovered twice over some humps. Lucas Prince of Darkness strikes again. I think you need to exorcise the demons that possess your car. Either that or your car is a chick and you need to spend more on her to make her feel wanted and happy again Give her a good servicing. I am very lucky the way it turned out on Sunday - I had a very experienced navigator to get me happily lost on great twisting roads at night. LOL...assuming you start? Not sure of his last name but I am sure that was him. It was a lovely car :drool:and very nice guy to talk with. I want to have a CD soundtrack of the engine sound. The drive was a good route - I definitely want to go back and do it again. When Bruce is back in town we can do a Sevens only run along the same roads.
  22. That looks fun - I want one. Just need to move to Maine to justify it.
  23. I've done that with a kangaroo and a skunk! :ack: I think I am hunting the wrong animals....
  24. Bill's very nice TR4 http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2790_edited-1.jpg Alan and Kathy's nice BRG Seven http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2789_edited-1.jpg There was also a nice smattering of Corvettes, a turbo supra, Porsche, including a very nice GT3. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2787_edited-1.jpg The drive took us over western NJ into PA and along some great backroads. I will be doing the route again at some point - very scenic. Entertainingly, Steve did not want to follow me because of my brake light failure last time. So he followed Ron who decided to have brake light failure just to liven up Steve's life. Even more amusing (because it luckily ended without harm) was hearing of Steve arriving over a crest to find a sudden 90 degree left hander. I hear there was more than 1 set of skidmarks left behind - nothing the laundry cannot fix. We took a break at Columcille Megalith Park http://www.columcille.org/ This is where Jack and Jen took their leave and headed off to what they thought would be an easy drive home. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/Spirited%20Drive%20Nov%202009/DSC_2799_edited-1.jpg We made it to the Glacier House restaurant and thought we would get an early start home....oh dear. We hit I-80 and promptly hit a jam around the Delaware Water Gap. After sitting for 15 mins I decided to call 511 to find that I-80 was fully closed due to a tractor trailer overturned. At this point Jon appealed to my worst instincts, so it was a U-turn on a muddy track across the median strip to reverse direction on I-80. It was mud everywhere as I did what you do with little traction! Oops. So we found ourselves off I-80 and then got a call from Jack saying don’t go on I-80. He was still stuck on there - maybe 2 miles ahead of where I did my muddy u-turn. So much for him and Jen leaving early. Then began the second spirited drive of the day - in the dark. The GPS batteries died so we relied on Google maps on my blackberry to navigate. It was back roads to Rt 46 and then finding too much traffic, more back roads to Rt 209. Despite the dark slowing us down the roads were brilliant - I have no idea where we were (and I do not think Jon did either!) but the twisting roads were brilliant. There was even a 5mph limit section! So our driving detour gets us back on to I-80 much further down the road. So who do we see as we enter the highway - a pickup with car trailer that had been next to us when we did the muddy u-turn - go figure! All thanks to Jon for navigating me home.
×
×
  • Create New...