2017 East Coast Sevens HPDE and Social Event

Croc

USA7s HPDE Event – June 30 to July 2, 2017

Tom and Michael would like to welcome you all to the seventh running (catchy anniversary eh?) of the USA7s HPDE Event at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville NJ.

Below is the link to the official MotorsportReg.com which you will use to register for this event.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/usa-7s-event-june-30-to-july-2-lightning-raceway-at-njmp-new-jersey-850914

Please take the time to read all of the following information prior to registering so that you understand all the relevant details and sign up appropriately.

Registration

During the registration you will be required to select the options you wish to participate in – days running, non-driving visitors, various dinners, etc. The Friday night and Sunday night dinners are pay on the day format based on your selections – so we are only looking for numbers at this stage. This will produce a total for which you will be required to enter your credit card to complete registration.

Cancellation is possible without penalty up to one month before the event. Cancellations within the month before the event are subject to negotiation as we may be able to have penalties waived if you give Tom/Mike a heads up.

Drivers Club members have a different HPDE cost to non-members reflecting their subscriptions paid. Drivers Club members are not required to register for the Saturday BBQ at Don’s as this is part of your membership.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2016%20Sevens%20Event%20at%20NJMP/WSPS-NJMPDC-070216-0003_10_zps8qmgupl5.jpg

Schedule

The schedule for the weekend is as follows:

Fridy, June 30, 2017

Arrival at NJMP and pit set up.

3.00pm to 4.30pm For those who arrive early and are set up before 3.00pm then we have the option to go karting or hang out in the pits or the Garage Mahal.

6.00pm to 8.00pm Welcome Pool Party BBQ at the NJMP Clubhouse.

Saturday, July 1, 2017

7.00am Registration and breakfast at the Lightning Circuit

8.00am Tech inspection

9:00am Mandatory Drivers Meeting in the Pit Classroom or Garage

9:30am to 12:30pm Track is live. There will be a printed guide on the day with session times.

12:30pm to 1:30pm Lunch at the Finish Line Pub

1:30pm to 5:00pm Track is live. There will be a printed guide on the day with session times.

6:30pm Dinner at Don Fauerbach residence, NJMP Founding Member.

Sunday, July 2, 2017

7.00am Registration and breakfast at the Lightning Circuit

8.00am Tech inspection

9:00am Mandatory Drivers Meeting in the Pit Classroom or Garage

9:30am to 12:30pm Track is live. There will be a printed guide on the day with session times.

12:30pm to 1:30pm Lunch at the Finish Line Pub

1:30pm to 5:00pm Track is live. There will be a printed guide on the day with session times.

6:30pm Dinner at Finish Line Pub

The session times are subject to finalization and a schedule for that day will be handed out each daily drivers briefing.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2016%20Sevens%20Event%20at%20NJMP/WSPS-NJMPDC-070216-0105_10_zpsumzxhf04.jpg

NJMP Location

The GPS address of NJMP is 8000 Dividing Creek Rd., Millville, NJ 08332

When driving to NJMP it is strongly recommended that you exit off Rt 55 at Exit 24 (Rt 49) as this route option avoids trailers having to make a sharp right turn in downtown Millville. While the signposts on Rt55 to NJMP will say you should use exit 27 we do not recommend this option because of the difficulty you will have navigating the tight right turn in downtown Millville. If you are staying at the Fairfield Inn (next to Exit 27) and trailering then we would also recommend returning to Rt 55 to head south to Exit 24.

Event Requirements

Driver’s License: All Drivers must have a valid Driver’s License and be at least 18 years of age to participate. You will be asked to present your Driver’s License at the track. If you have not run at this event previously then prior to registering you will need to email your driving experience for running in an intermediate or above skill level HPDE to either Tom or Mike. This will be shared with NJMP track management prior to the event. Please bring and be prepared to show any race license you have obtained in order to verify your experience.

Helmet Requirement: A Snell M or SA rated full-faced helmet dated 2010 [note change from 2016 event] or newer is required for all drivers and passengers on the track. Open face helmets are not permitted in open cars like sevens.

Arm restraints: NJMP requires open top cars to be driven on track with drivers and passengers both wearing arm restraints and full faced helmets.

Attire: NJ State Law requires all participants on the track to wear long pants and closed toed shoes. No one in shorts will be permitted to enter the race track or pit lane.

Tech: A tech inspection is required for each car prior to accessing the race course. An NJMP official will tech your car the morning of the first HPDE day of the event, but please view the tech form prior to then in order to be sure your car is adequately prepared.

Open Top Cars: Must have approved rollover protection. Pop up roll bars or detachable hard tops are not accepted by NJ State Law.

Speed Limits: Speed limit in the paddock is 5 mph. Speed limit on access roads is 25 mph. Do not test vehicles or bed brakes on infield roads. For non-racing events, the pit lane speed limit is 20 mph.

Participants, including Drivers Club Members and their guests, are responsible for any damage to NJMP property including on track and off track. This includes damage to Armco and tire wall barriers should you hit them (please don’t!) or for the white powder to soak up oil and coolant spills on track.

Noise: Un-Muffled engines must not be run before 8:30 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. NJMP strives hard to keep good relations with the local community and we should support their initiatives by complying.

Fuel: For the convenience of customers, New Jersey Motorsports Park houses fuel stations at both the Thunderbolt and Lightning Raceways. On most track days the fuel stations are open from 8:30am to 3:30pm.

The fuel station at Thunderbolt Raceway offers octanes of 93 & 100 (unleaded) and 110 & 112 (leaded), while the station at Lightning Raceway offers 93 & 100 (unleaded) and 110 (leaded). The fuel stations are permitted to fill containers in proper five gallon red fuel cans only, per New Jersey State Law. Larger fuel containers of 10 gallons or more (any color) are permitted to be used as long as they are marked appropriately (stickers or writing on container that reads “FUEL”).

General Store: The NJMP facility has a convenient General Store open during days. It sells refreshments (including beer), ice, driving equipment (helmets, boots, driving suits), oils, some tools, safety gear and other related items. It is located on the ground floor of the Officers Club in the pit area of the Thunderbolt track.

Trailer Drops: Trailer drops are typically allowed from 7-10 pm the night before. However, there are occasions when this is not possible due to events taking place at the facility. At this stage there are no events scheduled at Lightning the day of our arrival but we will alert you should that change.

Please keep in mind that NJMP Drivers Club Member Days are not a racing event but rather a Driver Education day. You will learn how to handle and control your vehicle at high speeds as well as explore the capabilities as a driver and those of your vehicle. At no time will you be pushed or encouraged to go any faster than is comfortable for you. All participants are organized into run groups based on experience, skill, and type of vehicle.

Non-driving Visitors: Non-driving visitors are required to be registered by NJMP. There is space on the registration pages for this. You will note that the fee has gone up from prior year after 9 years of being held flat. The fee for non-driving visitors covers all refreshments during the day and at meals, hot cooked breakfast and a high quality dining room lunch at the Clubhouse. It also provides privileges to accompany NJMP accredited/approved instructors in sevens as a passenger. Passengers are required to have paid the daily visitor fee and comply with the safety requirements of drivers – helmet, arm restraints, and clothing/shoes. A limited number of helmets/arm restraints will be available to borrow should you not have one.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/mjohnson555/seats/CSR/2016%20Sevens%20Event%20at%20NJMP/WSPS-NJMPDC-070216-0032_10_zpsw9j1ssxq.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pit Set Up Location

Attached to this email are 2 maps. The first illustrates the layout of the NJMP complex, its two tracks, karting facility, Pit Suites for overnight accommodation, General Store and Finish Line Pub. The second map shows the Lightning circuit and marks out where the USA7s group has been allocated pit space to set up and congregate. In prior years we have also tended to set up at the rear of the paved pits where the grass starts. All are acceptable. The NJMP facility has 24 hour gated and patrolled security and is a secure place to leave your trailers and cars overnight.

As you enter NJMP you will be required to stop at the main gate to show identification. Please let the security workers know that you are participating in the Drivers Club Event at Lightning. After the security check you will want to turn RIGHT to go past the clubhouse and on to the Lightning Circuit pits. It is a long drive around the outside of the Lightning Circuit until you see the bridge into the center of the circuit.

Tom and I will be there setting up from early afternoon should anyone arrive early. If people are interested we can organize a casual karting event at 3.30pm area.

After the karting you can clean up and then congregate at the NJMP Club House pool area where a full bar service and appetizers/dinner will be available for your purchase.

We encourage you to bring a folding chair or other seating for your time in the pits as there is no fixed or movable seating provided by the track.

Welcome Pool Party BBQ (July 1)

Given most people will be arriving the night before and setting up their trailers or otherwise prepping their cars, we will have an informal pool party BBQ at the NJMP Club House. A comprehensive menu and drinks will be available for purchase at the event.

If you will be arriving late then there are a number of fast food and other full service chain restaurants in Millville.

Catering - Breakfast and Lunch on HPDE Days (July 1 and 2)

Hot breakfast and dining room lunches are included in your driver and guest fees paid at sign on. Breakfast will be held at the Lightning Pit Building where the classroom and pit garage are located. Lunch will be held at the Clubhouse – Breighton Room a short drive from the pits. Snacks and refreshments (water, energy drink, soda) are complimentary throughout the day and are located in the refrigerators/ice tubs at the pit garage or the pit classroom.

Dinner at Don Fauerbach’s Residence – July 1, 2016

This is an annual Drivers Club Event to which Sevens event participants attending this HPDE event have received an invitation. Held on Don’s lawn overlooking the river, it is a casual summer event with a good menu and drinks, catered by one of the leading Chefs in Millville. Refreshments provided include beer, a basic assortment of wine and spirits, soda and water. It is BYO wine/spirits. In addition to socializing with other Sevens drivers, you will have the chance to meet and chat with other Drivers Club members and spouses who share a similar interest to you in performance and exotic cars. This event is located approximately 20 minutes drive from NJMP. We plan to car pool from various locations (NJMP Pit Suites, Fairfield Inn, etc) and will arrange that during the day. Dress code for this event is tidy nice summer casual – collared short sleeve shirt, nice Hawaiian shirts and shorts or long pants for gents. Ladies are usually dressed nice summer casual. It is outside on a lawn so high heel shoes are not advisable unless ladies like being rescued.

Dinner at the Finish Line Pub – July 2, 2016

We have booked the Breighton Room at the NJMP Finish Line Pub for our final night. The menu is a la carte ranging from salads to burgers/sandwiches to salmon and prime rib and desert offerings. It is designed that you pay for what you want to order for food and drinks. You will need to pay for your food and drinks at the completion of dinner.

Driving Format

As we are participating in a NJMP Drivers Club event, we follow their specific rules of operations for tech inspection of cars and safety gear. We also follow their practices for on track behavior. We will have a Sevens session defined in the attached timetable for the day. Passing will be by invitation only. That is a passing car will need to receive a point by by the car being passed. No point by then no passing. It is courteous for drivers to monitor their rear vision mirrors and let cars past promptly. Passing zones are defined at the straights, i.e. between:

· between turns 1 and 2,

· between turns 4 and 5 (if you are quick),

· between turns 5 and 7

· between turns 7 to 9 (i.e. up to the entry into the bowl

· turns 9 (bowl exit) to turn 1 (i.e. along the main straight)

Passing in the turns is not acceptable. No passing in the braking zones. Given sevens have such remarkable cornering and braking skills it is unlikely that passing cars should be held up for any length of time if drivers of slower cars monitor their mirrors and point by promptly. These rules are intended for your safety and if followed should prevent car to car contact.

In the past we have no traffic issues or people being held up on track. I put that down to good drivers participating and our remarkble little cars.

A track guide is available on USA7s if you are attending for the first time.

Accommodation

There are a range of lodging options at all budgets in Millville and nearby Vineland. There are also Pit Suites on the NJMP site. We encourage you to book early as Millville is a popular spot for people to stay when visiting the Jersey Shore in summer.

Camping is available at NJMP by permit along with power hookups for RV with a fee. See the NJMP website for details:

http://www.njmp.com/facility-rentals-and-amenities/

Contact

NJMP can be reached at (856) 327-8000. After hours the main switchboard may not be answered. In this event you should call the Main Gate security office on (856) 327-7255.

Just signed up for both days and all events, track and social. Also booked my room in the VIP suites for all 3 nights. I plan to be there by 3:00 pm Friday for karting, if all goes well.

For newbies who are planning on the BBQ on Saturday eve (highly recommended), plz note that it is a BYOB, so if you have a drink you like, a bottle of wine, etc., feel free to bring it (them) along.

Thx again Croc and Tom for putting in the countless hours that it takes to put this high-end event on every year!!!

Edited by Kitcat

• 3 weeks later...

I just finalized the awards tonight for the Sunday night dinner. They are prestigious...mostly...not...

Mechanical Sympathy Award For those who suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous mechanical fortune. I could have used 6 of these trophies last year...

I'm Quick in a Straight Line Award For those who drag race to a corner or maybe just come in drag.

The perennial favorite - The Golden Skidmarks Award. Yes it is a golden commode on a plinth. Simply put - the best spin wins - every single time. For those aspiring to win, I have to say it is always tough competition going up against Kitcat. Bonus points for a double spin and pike. Pirrouettes are amply rewarded. Puckered seat fabric puts you as dead set favorite. Many forum members have been worthy winners - Kitcat, Roman, me,...

Gorgeous Car Pity About the Driver Award (a female beauty pageant trophy) This is difficult to award as they all look good. On the other hand, the drivers....not so much....

Polisher Award The most repulsive prize I can find that rewards those who have the shiniest car or are caught polishing in between sessions. This year it is special - a three set to set off your seven's interior just beautifully. By the way that is a handbrake cover and not the photographer...

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12731&stc=1

Best Directions in a Moving Vehicle. This is an Oscar like trophy which goes to those who stay out of trouble all weekend and deliver their point bys with precision, style and panache.

The I Can Steer Award The prestigious annual award for keeping it clean, having fun and putting down consistent, beautiful apex lines.

See you soon!

s-l400.jpg

I am a bit worried about my "mechanical fortune", the 7 has not had it winter maintenance because of the move from Illinois. But hopefully everything goes well. Really looking forward to the event and getting out on a new to me track.

Graham

Less that a month now. Weather is finally looking like it's going to flip over to summer. Time to start polishing. :jester:

Here is the current list of potential attendees. Hopefully we will drag a few more of you out for some fun. Hint Hint, Michael D.:party:

Drivers

1) Croc

2)Yellowss7

3)Kitcat

4)SK400

5)Black Hole

6)JBH

7)Simon450

8)Spc_CwBy

9)Ottocycle

10)Wemtd

11)FMorser

12)BirkinDave H

13)TBox56

14)Dave D and Bev

15)Dan3030 +1

16)FastG

17)BBall7754

18 RGTorque

19 Chris S

20) D15b7

Spectating:

1)Blake J

Edited by yellowss7

Graham, If you have the spare parts you might need, there's usually some help available to make any minor repairs. Things like brake pads, bearings,etc are things that you should look into gathering now if you suspect that they are needed. Last year Jeff had a complete front hub failure during the first run session and luckily we were able to find a set and had him back on track by the end of the day. Never hurts to have a few spares on hand. Tom

Edited by yellowss7

trying to diag a "power failure once warm" issue. no one around me works on s2000 engines so i have to reach out a bit further. going to install a aftermarket computer and get it tuned at Evans Tuning on the 9th. hoping this will keep the car from dropping into "limp mode".

if it works ill be at njmp on the 11th running with some Porsche guys...

I wish I had my spares selection with me, but they are in a Pod along with my full tool boxes. I will have a limited tool selection and no spares at the track. The car went straight from my Chicago storage facility to Mike's garage at NJMP. So since the last track day it has been driven on and off the trailer. But the car has been very reliable so I am not really expecting problems.

Graham

Its ok Graham. We have 3 auto spare shops in 10 minutes drive of the track. There are 3 tire places in town. TJ of TK Autosports is at the track for these days to provide support and his rates are quite reasonable. He has a workshop in town, a great associate called Ian, and a bunch of spares at his workshop for a variety of things plus I have a garage with lift and the essential basic tool stuff onsite. My garage has beer and air conditioning for when it gets too much. Compared with the average track day I think you are brilliantly prepared for most eventualities!!!!!

I also have a Plan B!

I will be there from Thursday night so if anyone wants to join me prepping cars onsite then you are welcome at the garage.

Edited by Croc

I hope this isn't a harbinger of last year where the exception seemed to be those without problems.

No that was never the case. About 5 cars or their owners had some type of affliction. We had 20 cars there.

So when are you signing up Paul? We need someone quick to chase down Seb!

So when are you signing up Paul? We need someone quick to chase down Seb!

I have several lame reasons, but don't worry I'll be there.

Mr speedy is another matter...

BlackHole and I are planning to leave a trail of nails all the way from CT. That might slow him down, a little.

Paul - I think that is a sensible idea to slow him down since he is always running late. However, will he notice the difference over the usual quality of the New Joisey Turnpiske?