New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

Got a few dents removed by a PDR guy after procrastinating on that appointment for too long.

It was amazing to see him work and was quite humorous to see his reaction to working on aluminum.

Removing dents from the hood was... interesting. For removal hood needs to be well secured in the location to apply force to it. Obviously it can't be on the car.

Had to create a stand out of saw horses, straps, jack stands, 2x4's etc and it worked.

Overall not perfect but worlds better. Some areas were particular difficult. Most were on curves.

Life pro tip. SECURE STUFF IN YOUR "trunk". Also i recommend the padding from SBFS

• 1 month later...

This discussion came up a few times during the track day.

As the days progressed and I was carrying more speed onto the straight I found myself running out of gearing well before the end of the straight and bouncing off the rev limiter.

I knew in theory that, thats where my limit was by doing previous calculations but this was the first time where my cluster was working right and I got to experience it in person quite a few times.

Croc was asking me which rear end I have and I double checked that I have 3.62

My 6th gear is 1:1 direct drive.

Tires are the Toyo R888 225/45/13.

Top speed as calculated is ~126 at ~7300PRM

New tires being Avon 245/50/13 put me into ~136mph as they are a bigger diameter 22.65 vs 20.97

Unrelated to that, but big fan of the first gear going to ~45mph.

zwXO0Wv.jpg

Vlad: you must have a pretty stout Zetec? When I last drove T-bolt, I just left it in 5th, where it maxed out at 7200 rpm's, as shifting to 6th was so momentary before downshifting again. Of course with my 15" rear wheels, my effective gearing was different than yours. But, per my Garmin, I was topping out at 115-117 mph (vs 105-107 mph in my Xflow).

Vlad: you must have a pretty stout Zetec? When I last drove T-bolt, I just left it in 5th, where it maxed out at 7200 rpm's, as shifting to 6th was so momentary before downshifting again. Of course with my 15" rear wheels, my effective gearing was different than yours. But, per my Garmin, I was topping out at 115-117 mph (vs 105-107 mph in my Xflow).

Seems to be doing alright. Supposed to be a nice build per original spec sheet but I have my doubts on it being "all there". Maybe I'm just jaded. Haven't had an opportunity to go out in a faster caterham to compare.

Over the winter will send the ITBs to be rebuilt by Borla Induction (formerly TWM) and then sometime next year plan to bring it down to NC to have turbofocus take a look/dyno it. I'd be hoping for 170whp.

Otherwise while the ITBs are off I might as well mock up the supercharger that I have for the Zetec and see how/if it fits.

• 3 weeks later...

Upgraded the rails and weighted the supercharger. Not sure how it will fit yet but it's bigger and heavier than I remembered it.

Figured when I send the ITBs for a refresh it will be a perfect chance to mock up the SC and see how it fits (or doesn't). Duratec SC looks much smaller in comparison. That might have to be long term solution.

43 lbs without rest of accessories!

fddcae35c3e71e721bed6fc3494ae190.jpg

34c496ae649da18818a6309faa7dd217.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Zetec... and have often thought about a supercharger upgrade. It seems this is something you are doing now? if so, is this something you might be willing to share information about or provide advice?

John

Congrats! Can you please tell me what type of wheels those are?

John

Those are SLR model wheels, discontinued. They are Mike Barnby (MB) 3 piece wheels with impossible to find center caps. They came in two varieties, one regular flat and one with rolled bead lip which was preferred. It's easier to buy a 7 with them on already than to buy just the wheels. Sometimes these are also called "KN". Not sure why.

I also have a Zetec... and have often thought about a supercharger upgrade. It seems this is something you are doing now? if so, is this something you might be willing to share information about or provide advice?

John

Supercharging isn't something I'm serious about right now but will at least mock up to see how feasible it is or it isn't dimensionally. I need to send the ITB's off this winter and I already have the SC on hand. The opportunity is there..

Edited by Vovchandr

• 3 months later...

This may have been a problem. Not sure how long it has been like that. 

Started leaking as soon as I was fussing with it. 

Getting ready to send the manifold to TWM for a rebuild. 

On 11/14/2020 at 11:18 PM, Vovchandr said:

Upgraded the rails and weighted the supercharger. Not sure how it will fit yet but it's bigger and heavier than I remembered it.

Figured when I send the ITBs for a refresh it will be a perfect chance to mock up the SC and see how it fits (or doesn't). Duratec SC looks much smaller in comparison. That might have to be long term solution.

43 lbs without rest of accessories!

34c496ae649da18818a6309faa7dd217.jpg

So manifold is sent to rebuild. Decided to try to mock up the SC. Even if it will fit, it will be tight 

Off by about half an inch. I could possibly machine the face plate of the SC and try other tricks etc. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Just know its not fitting direct. 

IMG_20210311_163930087_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210311_163830225_HDR.jpg

Also after the last track day I also discovered that my left hand cycle fender had issues... Again. Second time it doesn't want to survive a track day. Last time sika flex failed. Then hardware bolts failed. 

This year the actual metal of the bigheads has failed on 3 out of 4 fasteners. I only have 2 spares on hand so will have to order more. 

I have a feeling there is something wrong with the fairing stay so I will also be replacing it. Lucky I have one on hand. 

Never thought I'd have to be scraping these off. New formula of sika flex held without a problem. I used a primer this time too. 

IMG_20210311_200150645.jpg

Superchargers and turbos add tons of heat. How will you cool things down?

Turbo heat was the nemises of my ‘19 Honda Civic Type R. I could do 2-3 track laps before heat pushed it into limp mode. The cost of re-engineering it with bigger oil coolers, bigger radiator, vented hood, widened grill etc was $10-20K, so I sold it after 3 months.

9 hours ago, Kitcat said:

Superchargers and turbos add tons of heat. How will you cool things down?

Turbo heat was the nemises of my ‘19 Honda Civic Type R. I could do 2-3 track laps before heat pushed it into limp mode. The cost of re-engineering it with bigger oil coolers, bigger radiator, vented hood, widened grill etc was $10-20K, so I sold it after 3 months.

Cooling will be done with intercooler and I'm fairly certain PowerWorks SC is also cooled by engine coolant. I already have an oil cooler in place. 

SC should run quite a bit less hot than a turbo.

Either way as it sits now, it doesn't fit. Would likely be a fit into an SV for anybody curious. 

Right now I'm going to get a consult and look into feasibility of shortening the runners drastically (By an inch?) and potentially proceeding that way in the future. 

17 hours ago, wemtd said:

28500 miles.

my fender mount broke when removing this afternoon. I think that was probably over due...

A39FE609-1594-42BE-9FA9-CA39534F1ECB.jpeg

Endless battle of keeping fenders on!

Does anyone have a clue as to what this bolt would have been threaded for on my 7? I don't think I've seen others with it. The one next to seatbelt. Same on other side. 

IMG_20210312_204248992.jpg

44 minutes ago, Renottse said:

The rattle from rivets in the frame irks me no end, don’t know if Nigel at Caterham was having a bad day or I got a Monday car... best of luck

Extracted so far ...

4F862CAD-69FF-470E-8443-F5203A84B215.jpeg

How..how did you get these out?