New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

Time has come to go through proper introduction channels

Name is Vlad and I brought this thing from California a few months ago and finally got it on the road with NYS DMV. Luckily for me the listing was vague and Croc missed it. I've been building a Locost for the last ~8 years and couldn't wait anymore once the right deal popped up. Been looking at these things for over a decade now. My collection of pictures on hard drives of Cats must be in the thousands by now.

It's a 2001 Superlight R S3.

Its got a pretty rare red interior with what looks like painted/vinyled red Tilletts.

Zetec 2.0

6spd Quaife sequential gear box is the fun part.

Been going through and sorting out all the issues that come with it sitting for most of its 17 years.

Accusump rebuild, coolant system/hoses refresher, changing oil/filter, changing tires/belt, electrical issues etc.

Top of the list of parts to get ASAP is SBFS half hood, rain cover and a tunnel storage bag.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14523&stc=1

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14524&stc=1

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14525&stc=1

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14526&stc=1

Looking forward to NJ next year.

Couldn't be happier with it.

catCapture.jpg

IMG_20180824_155026.jpg

IMG_20180831_141839.jpg

CROPPED IMG_20180707_085402.jpg

IMG_20180714_153505.jpg

IMG_20180815_203016_01_01.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys, we all know that all Caterhams were made in their unique combinations.

This one was perfect for me. As mentioned the color combination is great, sequential is certainly fun and I've never seen another one like it.

I was surprised that a Superlight R had a spare tire carrier originally but the VIN checks out, it is a real SLR. Nose cone sadly isn't carbon.

Hood and scuttle surprisingly have a perfect color matching vinyl going down the middle as the stripe, and not paint. Nose cone is painted. Is this unusual? Fair to assume those two items have been replaced? The car has less than a few thousand miles on it and the last few owners haven't modified it much if at all. Its mostly how it came from Virginia build.

Looks nice! Congrats

What part of NY are you in?

I'm in the Capital area.

Looks like a nicely optioned car Vlad. Good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing it on track at NJMP with us next year. Tom

Looking forward to it!

Still fighting a few battles with it, waking up to water/oil mix puddles but it will get sorted out.

Topping off the Quaife 6spd fluids, changing rear end fluid and putting new tires on it this week.

Vlad,

Congrats on your purchase. I've got a 2000 superlight R. It appears someone in your car's past did some nice mods.

Mine does have Carbon nose and front and rear wings. All are painted on mine. Same wheels although black centers and mine also has a spare tire carrier.

Like the red and white.

Enjoy,

jim

Keep at it, you have less than one year to get it ready for the 7s gathering at NJMP. :driving: Mine yellow car is also a 2000 Superlight that has an R spec engine. When I ordered my car, Paint was an option. As was anything that added weight. i.e. heater, windscreen, carpeting, etc. I opted to have the spare tire mount deleted from my build order. I also wanted Clams for the front wings, as I liked that look. So I traded out the carbon wings for the Mike Barnby Magnesium wheels which are very light.

Each 7 is unique. No two are exactly alike in my experience. Enjoy! Tom

Yes, from another early '2000's Superlight owner, congratulations on your purchase. The colors and spec of your car are unique. All newly purchased Cats need some fettling (some more than others:)). It's all part of the fun. New, sticky tires will make a huge difference in performance. Wear goggles and ear plugs, if you are not, whilst out and about. And be prepared to answer endless questions from passers by. I look forward to seeing you and your car at NJMP next year.

Vlad,

Congrats on your purchase. I've got a 2000 superlight R. It appears someone in your car's past did some nice mods.

Mine does have Carbon nose and front and rear wings. All are painted on mine. Same wheels although black centers and mine also has a spare tire carrier.

Like the red and white.

Enjoy,

jim

Jim, I agree which is why it caught my eye. From what I gathered everything was done by original owner who owned for only 1 year. Then it had the life of light SCCA racing and then mostly nothing. Last owner collected some parts and did misc things, which is why I now have a spare Duratec motor and a supercharger..

I still have to order the center caps etc from caterhamparts.uk, making a big shopping cart to save on shipping.

From what I gather on pistonheads, spare carrier should have been on SLR's due to their nature of being SLR... I'm glad I have the heater though (and red carpets, even red floor mats!). Spare carrier was chopped off by the previous owners which is why I plugged the holes.

Any pictures of yours?

Keep at it, you have less than one year to get it ready for the 7s gathering at NJMP. :driving: Mine yellow car is also a 2000 Superlight that has an R spec engine. When I ordered my car, Paint was an option. As was anything that added weight. i.e. heater, windscreen, carpeting, etc. I opted to have the spare tire mount deleted from my build order. I also wanted Clams for the front wings, as I liked that look. So I traded out the carbon wings for the Mike Barnby Magnesium wheels which are very light.

Each 7 is unique. No two are exactly alike in my experience. Enjoy! Tom

Tom, I've always had slight desire to go to NJMP with my bikes but with NYST being around the corner that desire died (amazing local track with elevation changes etc). NJMP might be boring in my view for bikes but I'm certain it will be a great experience for our cars.

You're absolutely on the money with all 7's being unique.

Yes, from another early '2000's Superlight owner, congratulations on your purchase. The colors and spec of your car are unique. All newly purchased Cats need some fettling (some more than others:)). It's all part of the fun. New, sticky tires will make a huge difference in performance. Wear goggles and ear plugs, if you are not, whilst out and about. And be prepared to answer endless questions from passers by. I look forward to seeing you and your car at NJMP next year.

Speaking of tires, 13's were certainly a PITA to find as replacement. Got to the point where I started looking at hub adapters to fit any of my Miata 4x100 15's to make that work. Safety glasses are always on. Ear plugs are overrated. Never wore them on the bike and not particularly bothered by the wind now. My better half however commented on how dirty her ears get in a low car without a helmet! :D

Endless questions were expected. This certainly is on par or more popular with strangers than my Honda Grom. I've decided to give up on proper pronunciation of the car when talking to strangers and go with the American path. I still have to iron out the story but it typically comes down to me explaining that it's an old British roadster. Mostly I get kudos and thumbs up. Not a whole lot actually converse on it.

I tell em it's a "continuation" of the Lotus 7. It truly is. My wheels didn't come with center covers. Not sure if you can still get them?

As far as tires for 13's, mine came with Avon ACB 10's which are great track tires and fine for the street. Bit pricey however. Talk to Roger Kraus racing in California or Sasco sports in Virginia.

Pics of mine can be seen from the initial ad: http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?9592-2000-Caterham-Superlight-R&highlight=superlight

Took a bit but I seem to have worked out all the bugs.

jim

I tell em it's a "continuation" of the Lotus 7. It truly is. My wheels didn't come with center covers. Not sure if you can still get them?

As far as tires for 13's, mine came with Avon ACB 10's which are great track tires and fine for the street. Bit pricey however. Talk to Roger Kraus racing in California or Sasco sports in Virginia.

Pics of mine can be seen from the initial ad: http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?9592-2000-Caterham-Superlight-R&highlight=superlight

Took a bit but I seem to have worked out all the bugs.

jim

I like that description. I think I'm going to give it a try next time. I don't think I'm going to have to wait too long for the opportunity. :)

I remember seeing that car. I also remember thinking to myself how similar it is.

I believe they came from the same location. Mine was also assembled in VA. I believe we have sister motors too, I have a yellow top Zetec as well. I was having a hard time trying to find out where it came from, I believe its a Cougar motor.

They are both also unusual because they have their VIN plaque on the vertical wall instead of the horizontal panel like most do.

The center caps can still be ordered.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/badges/48-centre-cap-badge-silver.html

I do not have the cool SLR dash plaque however :drool:

Mine was built by Chip Bond who owned GT Classics. He sold the car for one of his customers. It has a small GT Classics decal on the rear.

The yellow valve cover is gone now. Had a head gasket issue and the "while were in there" kicked in. So new head with no VVT, hotter Kent cams, adjustable timing gears etc... Raceline in England has a great looking red valve cover.

It looks like we have the same wheels and yours are also missing the covers that go over the lug nuts. If you look at them carefully- you'll see where this fits and screws in. The center caps in the link would just cover the dust caps for the bearings.

If you don't have the SLR dash plaque- it means your car is a Chinese reproduction of a British continuation! :)

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Mine was built by Chip Bond who owned GT Classics. He sold the car for one of his customers. It has a small GT Classics decal on the rear.

The yellow valve cover is gone now. Had a head gasket issue and the "while were in there" kicked in. So new head with no VVT, hotter Kent cams, adjustable timing gears etc... Raceline in England has a great looking red valve cover.

It looks like we have the same wheels and yours are also missing the covers that go over the lug nuts. If you look at them carefully- you'll see where this fits and screws in. The center caps in the link would just cover the dust caps for the bearings.

If you don't have the SLR dash plaque- it means your car is a Chinese reproduction of a British continuation! :)

Jim

Jim, I just checked my build sheet, appears to be build in the same place! You're right center caps in the link are wrong and original are MIA and I can't find a replacement everywhere. I talked it over with a machinist friend of mine and he doesn't see that it will be a problem to make a few blanks and put center cap stickers on them.

I'm going to have a hard time describing to people the new theory if it being a Chinese replica I bought on Aliexpress...

A few pictures from this past weekend cars and caffeine

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14610&stc=1

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14611&stc=1

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14612&stc=1

43053724_1996221587106219_1366162189857062912_o.jpg

42943157_1010971469086277_5112229203684622336_n.jpg

42981041_10215319711338823_2117346777312002048_n.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Jim

Jim, have you had a chance to dyno yours yet?

I know you have done a few mods but overall our engines are probably from the same breed and should be very similar. Mine has always been claimed through its history to be "200hp" motor but I'd like to get how relatively true that is.

I think I also have a headgasket issue going on.

VCT was eliminated, also have the ITB's and whatever the work that the dealer did as part of the "SLR" package. Old email correspondence mentioned cam work.

It has not been dynoed but suspect only about 160-170 HP. Has Kent cams, adjustable timing gears and some head work, slight increase in compression. Does not have ITB's. Still with stock fuel injection and ECU.

ITB's and ECU mods would be next to do for more HP but too many other projects at present.

Jim

Occasional visitor and member, 1TurboFocus,(aka TurboTom) is an acknowledged Zetec guru. See his website Focus-power.com. He says 165-170 is about max for a Zetec without going too crazy. And his numbers are for a car with stock intake manifold, adjustable cams, compression ratio 12:1,(100 octane only), head work, lighter, balanced forged rods/pistons and a variety of incremental hp secrets including an earlier, smaller intake manifold, a stock but different throttle body. Sticking to pump gas, but bumping compression from stock 10.2:1 to 11.2 you lose about 5hp or so (ballpark 160-65a). My relatively stock Zetec SVT made abt 155 hp on the chassis dyno, which Tom says is pretty stout.

As a side note, the Zetec SVT was designed/modified from the stock Zetec by Cosworth for Ford. Although it was built on the same assembly line, it incorporated many changes, resulting in a 15-20 hp bump over the stock Zetec. It was advertised as 170 hp (at the flywheel) which translated to approx 150-55 hp at the rear wheels, much better than the stock 129-137 hp at the wheels.

Edited by Kitcat

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=14526&stc=1

I would like to point out that I recently realized that my tail lights are "backwards". I don't believe they've ever been replaced or taken apart (messing with a lost power for one now)

Surprised nobody has ever pointed that out yet.