New Build

Pokey

So my thought is to get flat floored with just me in the car. The reasoning behind this is (a) I'm not pushing the suspension (much) when she is with me on the road, and (b) when on track she won't be there and that is when suspension setup will be most pronounced. Does this reasoning seem sound or am I missing something?

Perfectly sensible approach - thats how it should be.

Fun fact. Here in Washington State you need a certified scale weight to pass inspection. My nearest scale is at Cadman, a purveyor of concrete and rock. I took a few minutes from work and zipped down to get a weight only to line up facing one of these to get on the scale:

IMG_4139.jpg

This tire-cleaning device for semi's was spraying water at about door level when idling and over my head when activated. There must be a loop that activates and it either runs on a timer or the loop sensor isn't calibrated for something as wee as I was so I was able to squirt through as it cycled between wet and soaking. I think the gal manning the scale thought I was loopy they way I shot up there.

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

Excellent results.

When I first rolled onto the scale I was like "bummer, this little piggy weighs a lot more than I expected" and then I realized that I was on the scale too...

I'm not thrilled with the esthetics, no where near as bitchin' as the Yosemite Sam flaps I had on the rear of my '69 Chevelle in High School.

Wemtd with his clear lexan bling seems to have found a balance between function and rock chips. If I go with front flaps I'll do something similar.

I'm re-thinking the whole "rock" flaps on the front wing after now having a few miles driving under my belt. Without doors and ear protection the amount of noise created by rocks hitting the rear wings is something else. Popcorn popping kind of noise. I also found that I get plenty of that debris in the car with me, under my butt, scratching the composite seat.

I am liking the nice little opening Caterham designed into their seats for brushing away debris before sitting though.

IMG_4142.jpg

At least that is what I'm using that hole for.

Sometimes form needs to follow function :)

Does anyone here use half doors? I've heard that they do a good job of reducing turbulence and they should help keep things out of the car.

-John

When I first rolled onto the scale I was like "bummer, this little piggy weighs a lot more than I expected" and then I realized that I was on the scale too...

Can we rename you “Porkey”? :-p

Sometimes form needs to follow function :)

Does anyone here use half doors? I've heard that they do a good job of reducing turbulence and they should help keep things out of the car.

-John

I have them on my Caterham. For road use they are good at keeping some of the shrapnel out but not all. With windscreen and Perspex wind wings then they stop a lot of buffetting. But they make it challenging to get in and out of the car. I used to pop them off while belting up which was annoying. Never stayed on properly at track speeds.

It seems it would be easy to make a set cut down from side curtains so they retain the factory attachment points and can be opened via the hinges to aid access. Not that I'm volunteering to perform that experiment. Pokey, need a winter project?

-John

It seems it would be easy to make a set cut down from side curtains so they retain the factory attachment points and can be opened via the hinges to aid access. Not that I'm volunteering to perform that experiment. Pokey, need a winter project?

-John

Someone on here did that - just need to remember who?

Someone on here did that - just need to remember who?

The wind buffeting doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy it, but could do with a few less projectiles. Maybe wind deflectors would be enough to keep rocks out?

The wind buffeting doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy it, but could do with a few less projectiles. Maybe wind deflectors would be enough to keep rocks out?

And if wind deflectors won't work then I'm thinking supercharger. Supercharger for safety reasons might fly with the wife long enough to get the order placed.

• 2 weeks later...

Trivial topic, but on the off chance that someone else finds themselves in a similar situation someday perhaps this will help.

I'll start at the end, not all windshield wiper arms provided by Caterham are the same. The wiper arms provided with my kit did not fit tight enough on the knurled knobs such that they would slip and catch, causing misalignment and the arms crashing down on the scuttle. I checked this forum and lotus7.club but could not find any mention of ill-fitting wiper arms so started thinking that I somehow caused the problem.

I just installed a pair of Caterham factory wiper arms ordered from Demon Tweaks. They fit snuggly and the wipers work as one would expect. Despite the stamping on the original and replacement arms being identical, the casting is clearly different:

IMG_4212.jpg

The replacement is on the left.

IMG_4212.jpg

Welp, just got a call from the State Patrol inspector regarding my appointment tomorrow. He did some research and has concluded the car needs a federal sticker and airbags. I politely explained that these cars are licensed for road in Washington State and he concluded that was because we have privatized licensing agencies. I responded that they still needed State Patrol sign off and his response was, in essence, guess I'll see you tomorrow. Not sure it will be worth six hours of driving since he has already made his determination...

Welp, just got a call from the State Patrol inspector regarding my appointment tomorrow. He did some research and has concluded the car needs a federal sticker and airbags. I politely explained that these cars are licensed for road in Washington State and he concluded that was because we have privatized licensing agencies. I responded that they still needed State Patrol sign off and his response was, in essence, guess I'll see you tomorrow. Not sure it will be worth six hours of driving since he has already made his determination...

You might want to consider cancelling your appointment and rescheduling for a different location with a different inspector.