New Build

Pokey

Hi Greg, I don't know if you mounted your tail lights yet or not, but I've seen a lot of folks mount them with the yellow/turn signal to the outside of the car. I went the opposite and put the red (tail/brake to the outside.

My reasoning was that there are no red (rear) or yellow (front) side marker lights on these cars vs. our newer federal cars. The way I saw it was, at least there would be some type of light glowing at the rear of the car from a night time side view, also, in the dark, the car appears almost a foot wider, as the red tail/brake lights are closer to the outside edges of the car, making them more visible from behind should there be a vehicle in between you and a driver who is antsy to pass.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Greg, I don't know if you mounted your tail lights yet or not, but I've seen a lot of folks mount them with the yellow/turn signal to the outside of the car. I went the opposite and put the red (tail/brake to the outside.

My reasoning was that there are no red (rear) or yellow (front) side marker lights on these cars vs. our newer federal cars. The way I saw it was, at least there would be some type of light glowing at the rear of the car from a night time side view, also, in the dark, the car appears almost a foot wider, as the red tail/brake lights are closer to the outside edges of the car, making them more visible from behind should there be a vehicle in between you and a driver who is antsy to pass.

Just a thought.

Makes sense, thank you.

Question about wipers. I cut down to length and installed but the knurling isn't enough to prevent slippage. This renders the blades useless and worse, as it catches occasionally so when I tested it forced a blade past the windshield and made a small scratch in the paint. I had lubricated both the rubber of the blades and sprayed soapy water on the windshield prior.

I'd rather have the motor burn out than have the blades slicing and dicing paintwork.

Is this "normal" for a Caterham?

I had to take off 1/4" from one blade and 1/2" from the other which is fine, but the problem is the blade arm doesn't grip the wiper motor knobs tight enough to prevent slippage. The knurling on the motor knobs is nice and sharp, but the knurling in the aluminum casting of the arms is rounded and somewhat indistinct. Basically they seem to be mismatched.

I asked Bruce and he has never had an issue but is going to check his inventory so we can compare stampings on the arms. Perhaps Caterham changed suppliers recently, dunno.

It has been a while since I’ve updated but for good reason as not a lot has happened. I had been waiting for a fuel line retaining clip for securing the fuel line to the fuel pump sender. This is a one-of-a-kind item that I suspect Caterham had to scavenge from a pump they had in inventory as neither Bruce nor I could find a supplier. The fuel pump was manufactured for the European version of the Focus built for a limited time earlier this century :). Seriously though, this item is hard to find and Plan B was a different pump assembly or a purchase used off of ebay.uk. Bruce hand delivered the clip Monday night in a celebratory moment for both of us - what a guy!

While Bruce was here he also re-flashed my ECU. The car had been hard to start and was misfiring with one cylinder getting the lion share of the fuel. It now purrs, but the story is a little more complicated. After about the fourth perfect start yesterday the engine misfired again, but this time the ECU threw an error code. That led me to reconnect the crank position sensor, and for good measure I also reconnected the ECU and the TPS, but the error was “bad crank tooth count” hence the emphasis on the crank sensor. About six more starts at varying engine temperature and the misfiring has yet to repeat. So that is my description of the issue and the resolution, just please don’t ask me to explain as I’ve no clue.

Since the last update I’ve also applied SunTek protective film to various strategic locations. I’ve never applied film before and wanted to try something new. I purchased the film from a supplier in the UK who pre-cuts the pieces - thanks kayentasker. I still have the nose cone to go but that will wait until after I apply the vinyl stripes.

Let’s see, the only other thing I can think of that might be worth mentioning is I replaced the battery that came with the kit. I left the ignition on overnight and killed two of the six cells. Researching batteries led me to the PC680, but in the end I purchased a lithium option. I’ve been using lithium batteries in my off-road motorcycle for a few years now and while the first battery didn’t last long I’ve had good luck since. And, no, I’m not being a weight-weenie although the weight savings is a nice benefit, but what I do love about lithium batteries is no more plugging into a tender and tripping over the extension cord.

While the plan was always to finish in June so as to have a project throughout the dreary spring months of the Pacific Northwest, here it is July so I’m officially itching to wrap it up. What remains is:

1. Install side view mirrors. The kit lacked the fasteners so I ordered a few options from a new-to-me online supplier that seems to be a bit slow, but hopefully I’ll see the delivery this week.

2. Install the rear wings. Wings are prepped and ready to go, but I’m waiting to install until after applying the vinyl stripes.

3. Vinyl stripes. I hadn’t ordered with stripes but after seeing an example of the Donington Edition done by Herbert’s Vinyls in the UK (https://www.facebook.com/herbertsvinyls/photos/a.902259599840135/1722481941151226) decided to give them a try. The package was in Illinois as of yesterday.

Waiting to join you on local blats.

Very soon, and looking forward to it.

An interesting tidbit, I tried to get an appointment with the Washington State Patrol for a VIN inspection and there are no slots available. I'll keep checking as they may only schedule a few days out at a time, but I checked a variety of stations throughout the state just to see if it mattered. Their website warns of long delays due to layoffs related to COVID.

So for the foreseeable future I might be pulling 3-day trip permits and binge driving.

Ever get to the point in a project where you just stop caring about how much shipping costs?

I (finally) received the fasteners to mount the side view mirrors to the doors, but despite ordering an assortment I managed to not get what I need. I'm done playing around so ordered some windshield stanchion mounted Racetech mirrors from Demon Tweeks and upgraded to fast shipping.

Received the vinyl for stripes yesterday and hope to apply this weekend.

IMG_3935.jpg

Also received the mounting box for the replacement battery. Since I don't have a heater installed I was able to move the battery to the firewall and as far away from the heat of the engine as possible.

IMG_3936.jpg

And after having read about how to change the oil in a dry sump setup on lotus7.club I bit the bullet and purchased a fluid extractor from Amazon. Got that yesterday too and immediately noticed that the 41" tubing was actually 16" which by my eye would be about 8" too short to reach the bottom of the oil tank. I've had really good experience with purchases from Amazon over the years so I guess I had this coming, but the email to the manufacturer's customer service bounced and when I called the message was for a different company, so clearly I didn't pick wisely. That extractor is getting returned and I've ordered another of a different brand.

Yes there is a phone number on the Amazon website. I am not sure “customer service” is the right description. My wrists have since healed from the experience.

It was nice knowing you.

I'm good, thanks guys. I wanted to avoid the waste of shipping something back to Amazon so was hoping the manufacturer could send me the correct tubing, but this thing is going back Monday.

I could use some second opinions. My Seven is red, obviously, with a black noseband. I thought silver and black stripes would look nice but after applying some of the vinyl I'm not quite sure. I like the silver on the sides, but the silver on the bonnet not as much. The other option is to do just black on the bonnet and nose cone as I have the material (I've laid it out in the pictures on the white transfer paper). Thoughts anyone?

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

When it comes to aesthetics, the only opinion that matters is yours. There will be some people here who think it adds a lot of interest and is gorgeous, and others will think it's too busy and strongly dislike it. But our opinions shouldn't matter. My advice is to leave it in place for a couple of days and see how you feel about it every time you walk into the garage. If it makes you happy, keep it. If it doesn't, pull it. If you know you want stripes, then maybe overlay the black stripes in a couple of days and repeat that experiment.

-John

John is right - it usually takes a few days to sort out in our heads if we like things or not. These cars can be so personalized for our taste that I encourage you to try it out. Finish putting it on and finish the car off and then you can see when it is all together outside in sunshine. Its vinyl so it will come off without a mark if you think it was a wrong idea. I have always liked the idea of a contrast painted noseband as its distinctive and it makes it easy to repaint just that section from all the nose chips you pick up after years blatting around backroads or trying to overtake Mike (Kitcat) on track.

Personally, I am not sure about the side vinyl but I think thats because the rear wing is not on to complement the shape of the vinyl. Changing the color of the central strip from black to silver between nosecone and bonnet will get nearly everyone asking if you had an accident and its a replacement nosecone. Cars have come up for sale on this forum with that look and people ask that exact question. However, don't let it stop you - your wife controls the color of her kitchen and you should control the color of your car!

Edited by Croc

Changing the color of the central strip from black to silver between nosecone and bonnet will get nearly everyone asking if you had an accident and its a replacement nosecone.

I wasn't thinking of a central silver stripe on the bonnet and black on the nosecone, but replacing the center silver with black entirely. That's the part I'm not sure about, use of silver versus all black.

I've changed my plan and will install protective film on the nose cone under the vinyl instead of on top, and with drying time for the adhesive it will be a couple of days before I get back to doing the vinyl. That gives me the time you and John suggested to live with it, and I can move on to getting the Seven off of the jack stands today.

I think a solid black racing stripe down the middle to the black lipstick stripe on the nose cone would be ideal. Or multiple black/red stripes. That would keep it bold and simple and would compliment the car's other black components, like the headlights. I think the black and white stripe looks busy and disjointed, especially when it meets/crosses the nose stripe. I think the silver disappears in a sea of red. Of course, I have been told my sense taste is limited to my mouth....