620r and a Autonomous Drone :)

cemaykan

Well, I had to try my Skydio 2 autonomous drone for a short drive to see how it can keep up.  It is quite amazing that, it can avoid trees, power lines and pretty much anything. All I had to do was drive, well drive under 35 mph - which is the hardest part :)  

Put together a short little video, hope you folks enjoy it:

Very cool!  Not sure which is more impressive: the drone's tracking ability or your restraint to drive a 620R below 35mph on an empty country road.   How far away can the drone continue tracking the car and what happens if you exceed that range because of a momentary lapse in restraint?  Does it maintain that last position and wait for the car to return?

-John

I really like that.  

What happens to the drone when you go over 35mph?  It seems to pull up and let you go?  What does it do then - search for a new target?

Edited to add: Great minds think alike so John and I posted the exact same question at the exact same time!

1 hour ago, Croc said:

I really like that.  

What happens to the drone when you go over 35mph?  It seems to pull up and let you go?  What does it do then - search for a new target?

Edited to add: Great minds think alike so John and I posted the exact same question at the exact same time!

If I remember correctly, from my experience with dji, it will try to follow until it thinks it lost the object and then will start hovering around…

Yep, if you go too fast basically drone will just stand still until it can see you again or if the battery level drops under 10% it flies back to where it took of and land automatically. There is aslo a beacon you can get which increases the range beyond visual tracking.  Those roads are great here, and yes on the way back home i was able to warm up the rear tires 😀

• 2 weeks later...

@cemaykan this may solve the problem of needing to keep your speed below 35mph.  With a top speed over 135mph, it should have a better chance keeping up with your 620R ;) 

BTW just noticed this is in General forum and have moved it to the Video forum to make future discoverability easier.

-John