Seeking advice from 7 owners in NY / NJ

rs2324

Hello everyone! My name is Rachit and I’m hoping to be a Caterham owner in the next 12 months, specifically the 420. I’ve had the opportunity to drive a Caterham once more than 10 years ago, and promised myself that one day I will buy one, and am super glad that time is coming up soon!

For context, I’m based in the NY / NJ area, and plan to use my Caterham largely for back-road bursts and touring, with very limited track day use (3-4 times a year). Although I’ve made most of my specs decision, the critical one I am still confused about is the chassis.

I am 5”9 (175 cm), 165 pounds, 31 inch inseam and 33 inch trouser waists, and my wife is 5”2 and petite. I’m not sure whether I should go for:

A) S3 

B) S3 with lowered floors

C) SV

Are there any Caterham owners in the NY / NJ who might be generous with their time and allow me take a look at their cars and try out their chassis (seated down, no driving), and talk about their car in general? I’ve been engaging with Josh from Rocky Mountains, and while I understand the differences in chassis sizing on paper, it’s just really difficult for me to commit to an order without having tried one on (almost like buying a pair of sneakers). Would really appreciate any help here! FWIW, Josh’s advice to me is to go with Option B)

Also, summarising here the other major specs beyond chassis I am going for:

1. R package
  2. Dark orange with black triple stripes, lettering, and roll bars
  3. 13 inch ZZS wheels
  4. Padded, heated carbon seats - my understanding is that these are ‘narrower’ and offer a tighter fit; so a little confused between these and the leather seats. For instance, would an S3 chassis with leather seats be more comfortable? Any thoughts?
  5. Sport suspension - initially wanted the track suspension upgrade, but understand these are quite a bit firmer for predominately road / touring use. Any thoughts?
  6. Front carbon wings
  7. LED lights with clear lens
  8. Full weather protection package (which I believe also includes the half hood)
  9. Track half cage option
  10. 620 carbon interior setup with leather transmission pannel and side arm rests

Thanks in advance!

Edited by rs2324

I'm in upstate by Albany so I think a bit too far for you. 

I'm 5ft7 about the same weight and I think you will be just fine with regular S3. 

Led lights? You want new style or old style? I'm not certain Caterham offers old style with led from factory. 

Post up a pic of your build on CC builder website. 

Rachit,

My 420R is being assembled as we speak at the factory. I am 5'9" and a little huskier 185lbs. I opted for the SV chassis for the extra width and peddle box room. The guys on this site have been really great at answering questions and letting me sit in a variety of cars to give me the best idea of what size I wanted - mostly thru cornering them at a variety of track days. I went with Leather Seats for more touring comfort. My goal is to have my car in hand next spring (fingers crossed), happy to facilitate you sitting in it at that point. I am in New York City.

You might want to confirm with Josh about the 1/2 hood being included in the full weather package. I ordered the full weather package but am making plans to get a Mohair 1/2 hood either thru Caterham or directly from Oxted Trimming. If you get the answer let me know. 

I know some other owners who have been very gracious with their time ( @slowdude) in the area that have let me check their cars out. If you cant wait till spring. 

I initially ordered my car in August of 2022, so its been a long process with delays etc. I have been able to learn as I go and make changes while still being in the building cue . So if you are serious about getting it, I would put your name in now and finalize before it goes into production. 

This and other forums are really great at shedding light on what makes sense for you. My options and priorities have evolved over the last year along with the changes. Happy to shed any light on any specifics that I went thru. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rs2324 said:
  • R package
  • Dark orange with black triple stripes, lettering, and roll bars
  • 13 inch ZZS wheels
  • Padded, heated carbon seats - my understanding is that these are ‘narrower’ and offer a tighter fit; so a little confused between these and the leather seats. For instance, would an S3 chassis with leather seats be more comfortable? Any thoughts?
  • Sport suspension - initially wanted the track suspension upgrade, but understand these are quite a bit firmer for predominately road / touring use. Any thoughts?
  • Front carbon wings
  • LED lights with clear lens
  • Full weather protection package (which I believe also includes the half hood)
  • Track half cage option
  • 620 carbon interior setup with leather transmission pannel and side arm rests

I have a CSR with lowered floors which will be identical to an SV with lowered floors.  Car location is Millville, in southern NJ but I live in northern NJ so a 2 hour run south.  I can get there this Saturday if you want or Nov 10/11 otherwise not for the rest of the year. 

I have the Tillets with pseudo-suede pads installed currently but I have the regular leather seats sitting on the shelf to try out as well.  The regular leather seats are very comfortable.  I would not bother with seat heating as the area you are heating is not what gets cold.  I would look at buying a heated jacket as this warms the torso which is what gets cold in these cars.  Cap for head too. 

While not in NJ, I also own a 420R SV which I mostly do UK track days in.  I would recommend the sports suspension.  Its perfect for road touring.   Its what I have in my car. Track is quite a bit firmer and really only appropriate if your track usage of the car is above 50%.    I installed the track half cage option this year on this car and like it as the car is nearly always used for track days.  But I question its use on road without a helmet.  Hit a head on that bar and you will know it. 

If you go front carbon wings then get them clear-bra'ed to protect them from white spotting.  Mine have held up well after 14 years. 

Definitely agree with the 13 icnh ZZS wheel choice.  These are my road/track wet weather choice.  Definitely better handling on 13 inch wheels. 

Not sure the full weather package includes the half hood?  My understanding is that it did not.  Josh would confirm on this. 

Hey Rachit,

I'm in northern Morris county.

I'm similar to you, 5'7" with a 32 inch inseam (wierd proportions when you think about it).  😀 

I'm still in the process of my unexpected engine build BUT hoping to be done soon. Engine was rebuilt and sent back to shop on Monday.

Hopefully I'm back together soon and you can come by for a drive.

14 minutes ago, slowdude said:

Hey Rachit,

I'm in northern Morris county.

I'm similar to you, 5'7" with a 32 inch inseam (wierd proportions when you think about it).  😀 

I'm still in the process of my unexpected engine build BUT hoping to be done soon. Engine was rebuilt and sent back to shop on Monday.

Hopefully I'm back together soon and you can come by for a drive.

@slowdudethank you so much for the offer, I am in Manhattan so close by to you! Would love to pass by and try your car's chassis on the engine rebuilt is complete. Which one do you have?

Edited by rs2324

2 hours ago, CBuff said:

Rachit,

My 420R is being assembled as we speak at the factory. I am 5'9" and a little huskier 185lbs. I opted for the SV chassis for the extra width and peddle box room. The guys on this site have been really great at answering questions and letting me sit in a variety of cars to give me the best idea of what size I wanted - mostly thru cornering them at a variety of track days. I went with Leather Seats for more touring comfort. My goal is to have my car in hand next spring (fingers crossed), happy to facilitate you sitting in it at that point. I am in New York City.

You might want to confirm with Josh about the 1/2 hood being included in the full weather package. I ordered the full weather package but am making plans to get a Mohair 1/2 hood either thru Caterham or directly from Oxted Trimming. If you get the answer let me know. 

I know some other owners who have been very gracious with their time ( @slowdude) in the area that have let me check their cars out. If you cant wait till spring. 

I initially ordered my car in August of 2022, so its been a long process with delays etc. I have been able to learn as I go and make changes while still being in the building cue . So if you are serious about getting it, I would put your name in now and finalize before it goes into production. 

This and other forums are really great at shedding light on what makes sense for you. My options and priorities have evolved over the last year along with the changes. Happy to shed any light on any specifics that I went thru. 

@CBuff- I am NYC (Manhattan) too! Thank you so much for the offer. I will be putting down my name and deposit soon so I can lock my allocation in for Q2 / Q3 2024, and that also would give me time to try out the chassis sizes before making a final decision on spec, including your SV with leather seats once it finally arrives in the spring!

Out of curiosity, are you planning to also park your car in NYC once you get it? If so, then where? Like a public parking garage?

FYI I did re-confirm with Josh; the half hood is indeed NOT included with the full weather package

Edited by rs2324

26 minutes ago, rs2324 said:

@slowdudethank you so much for the offer, I am in Manhattan so close by to you! Would love to pass by and try your car's chassis on the engine rebuilt is complete. Which one do you have?

No worries.

I'm on the UES 1x a week to visit family, weather (and patience) permitting, I could maybe bring it in. I work maybe 30 minutes from the city in northern NJ, which is a bit closer. We can figure something out.

It's an imperial S3 RHD 1.8 L series with the T9 box. I need to put the new A Arm and bushings on in the back. A bit tired but slowly getting there. 

I have the wide track front suspension, and I think it's a road sport based on the ARB's. I need to go through the caterham paperwork to find out what it exactly is. I second everyone's thoughts on the wider track front - gives you a bit more stability. 

I've got a heater / full weather kit and drove until it snowed last year. Work sent me oversea's for a good chunk of the year so I wasn't able to get as much driving this year. :(

Regarding parking in NYC, we have a spot in our building, I think it's 860$ a month. It went up drastically since covid... combined with the road quality and traffic, you'll most likely be miserable getting to the driving roads to enjoy the car.

For the monthly price of parking (especially if you rent in the city), you may be better off street parking the daily (if applicable) and storing at Haggerty or Motorcar Manor in NNJ. I was quoted at 550$ a month including tender etc. The peace of mind of having the car on a tender where you're not going to get rats / other parking garage junk in it is worth it. Especially if it's a new, 60k 7.

Reading between the lines on your weather gear questions. Don't try to rationalize the car as being weather practical. It's like driving an antique. Give a lot of braking distance in wet and the wipers are more of a suggestion. I keep a good sailing jacket in the car for bad weather. If you go into a car this extreme with some justification of practicality, you'll be disappointed. It's the perfect foil to whatever appliance I daily.

Edited by slowdude
  • Thanks 1

From discussing with the forum. I also hear that driving in the city is less than ideal. With the long nose, low stance and horrible roads I can only imagine. Short term plan is I have access to a warehouse in brooklyn or Staten Island.  Should give me space to work on the odds and ends that I realize are part of the fun of this whole thing.  Also with a quick driving exit into better roads. 

@slowdude (yeah I wish it was 60k these days - ticking a lot of boxes sent me north that.). Well too late I am obsessed.  

@rs2324  happy to pm or speak if you want to discuss the last year.  Just confirm with Josh about when the deadlines are. (I think sv vs s3 is one of the earlier due dates). Other options can be pushed off for a while. You’re in good hand with Josh - I have already bothered him a few times even though I ended up going thru Time Machine upstate. Greg there has been really great and is going to help with the registration and inspection elements. 

The forum and the guys on here have been really amazing /share some fault at my decent into seven madness. I was lucky enough to attend last years seven meet up at njmp. A great group of fools.  @Crochas been especially generous with his time and knowledge.  

Put your deposit in and hold on. It’s a long, exciting and sometimes bumpy ride. But if it was easy it wouldn’t be as much fun. (And I don’t even have the car yet). 

in the meantime I have been doing more track days in my daily. I can always use the practice before I get the 420. Just was up at lime rock last Saturday.  

happy to discuss whatever whenever. 

Charlie

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 3:00 PM, CBuff said:

I also hear that driving in the city is less than ideal. With the long nose, low stance and horrible roads I can only imagine.

Its been a while since I last took my Caterham into Manhattan as it is fairly lethal.  Mob scene stopping traffic for photo ops with me (well...ok...maybe it was the car...) in Times Square was one particularly strong memory.  Taxis changing lanes on top of me as you are below their window sills and mirror levels.  Raised manhole covers threatening the bottom of engine and gearbox.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:25 PM, BlakeJ said:

I am in Westchester County. SV with lowered floors. Plenty of room in the pedal box, so no need for skinny racing boots. 
You’re welcome to come by to try the fit. 

Thanks so much, will DM you now !

• 3 weeks later...

I've been offline for way too long, but I'm in Bergen County NJ with a 360 S3 with lowered floors.  I'm 5'6, about the same size and would stick with the S3 if I had to do it over again. Happy to meet up and let you try it out for size.  Pic with the full weather gear, I was in the process of moving the front fenders to accommodate new ZZS tires  image.thumb.jpeg.be23ad10d2dc9e90fba8cbcfdd07b8b4.jpeg

Edited by or7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, or7 said:

I've been offline for way too long, but I'm in Bergen County NJ with a 360 S3 with lowered floors.  I'm 5'7, about the same size and would stick with the S3 if I had to do it over again. Happy to meet up and let you try it out for size.  Pic with the full weather gear, I was in the process of moving the front fenders to accommodate new ZZS tires  image.thumb.jpeg.be23ad10d2dc9e90fba8cbcfdd07b8b4.jpeg

Ahh I saw you on 17 this spring and tried to flag you down. I work in Bergen. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have some customers in the NY/NJ metro area that will let you "try on" their car. If doing an "R" be sure to option the weather pack, otherwise no wipers and most states require them for registration/inspection. We have a customer that moved to a state that requires wipers and the cost to install was well more than the weather pack option. Plus, you can option the interchangeable Aeroscreen so you have a heated full windscreen for the road and the Aeroscreen for the track.

• 2 weeks later...