TC7 Posted September 25 Posted September 25 OK guys help me out this looks terrible I wanna get rid of the spare tire carrier I want to keep that euro plate because I've got away with it for many years so I keep the regular plate inside the car. Any ideas? Thank you!
IamScotticus Posted September 26 Posted September 26 (edited) Keep it. It makes a good bumper. Maybe not a good bumper, but at least a sacrificial tube structure. Edited September 26 by IamScotticus
theDreamer Posted September 26 Posted September 26 4 hours ago, TC7 said: OK guys help me out this looks terrible I wanna get rid of the spare tire carrier I want to keep that euro plate because I've got away with it for many years so I keep the regular plate inside the car. Any ideas? Thank you! Actually that is a very useful piece of kit. I’ve see people remove the spare tire to use it to carry other items like a large water tight suit case, a picnic basket and even fuel jugs. I suggest if you believe you’ll never ever need it then do as others have done and saw it off flush with the rear panel. As for the large plate and light, cut the tubes off a couple of inches from the plate bracket. Then find (or machine) a bar that is about 3 to 4 inches long that will slip into the tubes on both the car and the plate bracket. Have the bars welded into the bracket tube ends. Then slip the other ends into the open ends of the tubes on the car. Drill through the tubes and the bar so you can fit a hitch pin clip through the parts to hold them in place. This will give you your plate bracket, wiring and light but without the large gap from the missing spare. But save the off cuts! If at some point you wish to return it to use for a spare tire (or other items) just make two more inserts for the off cut tube bits. Have these welded into one of the open ends of each off cut tube. Slide them into the tubes on the car and drill the bar using the holes in the existing tubes. Measure the distance from the weld bead around the plate bracket tube bars to the holes in the bars and then mark the open end of the tubes accordingly and drill them as well. Two more hitch pin clips and there you are.
Slonie Posted September 26 Posted September 26 Example photo of when I saw an owner who chopped their carrier off. I believe they can re-attach as described by theDreamer above, although I don't know what they have under those caps. I've definitely seen photos of the removable setup as described. I stopped carrying my spare early on but keep the carrier for future luggage opportunities, and it gives me a LITTLE piece of mind that somebody will bump that before the rest of my car.
NSXguy Posted September 26 Posted September 26 i'll share photos of mine tomorrow. It's been so long i don't even remember what mine looks like with the spare tire holder. Have never needed it.
theDreamer Posted September 26 Posted September 26 This is what the removable hoop bracket looks like.
TC7 Posted September 26 Author Posted September 26 Thanks everybody! a lot of good ideas. One of the ideas I was considering it's just section the thing so it gets closer to the body I'll never carry anything in that That's what the passenger seats for LOL.
7Westfield Posted September 26 Posted September 26 (edited) The Westfield has 2 little stubs that stick out about an inch, and the rig bolts on over them. I just built a shorter one to hold the plate, and can switch back if needed Edited September 26 by 7Westfield 2
Origin7 Posted Thursday at 01:17 PM Posted Thursday at 01:17 PM @TC7 I recently went through making this decision. I ended up fully committing. I lobbed the tubes as close as I could to the frame. Then I hand-filed to get them flush with the rear skin. The remainder I filled with epoxy and sanded flush. My local Sherwin Williams (automotive) paint matched and made up a can for me. It needs another coat of paint, but I am happy with the way it came out. The stubs are barely noticeable. I mounted the license plate with velcro for a clean look. You could do this with your euro plate. The Super 7 decal will eventually go. I am trying to come up with a creative idea for the hole in the center. 2
TC7 Posted Thursday at 01:42 PM Author Posted Thursday at 01:42 PM Well I have to say that looks fantastic really! very clean!
Razomatic Posted Thursday at 08:34 PM Posted Thursday at 08:34 PM 7 hours ago, Origin7 said: I am trying to come up with a creative idea for the hole in the center. Perhaps a Caterham roundel? Or a domed bolt painted with the matching red color?
Origin7 Posted Thursday at 08:52 PM Posted Thursday at 08:52 PM 7 hours ago, TC7 said: Well I have to say that looks fantastic really! very clean! Thanks! I was apprehensive about eliminating the spare, but no regrets so far.
Origin7 Posted Thursday at 08:56 PM Posted Thursday at 08:56 PM 20 minutes ago, Razomatic said: Perhaps a Caterham roundel? Or a domed bolt painted with the matching red color? I like your roundel idea. The aluminum skin is slightly deformed in this area, and I think the roundel would blend it nicely.
theDreamer Posted yesterday at 01:38 AM Posted yesterday at 01:38 AM (edited) I’ve seen the aftermarket Catherham nose cone badges (the ones with a single threaded fastener) used to fill that spot as well as a fastener. (see images) I’ve also seen one where the owner ran the wires thru a hollow thrended fastener that they used to attach the rear plate light with. Edited yesterday at 01:53 AM by theDreamer 2
Ian7 Posted 16 hours ago Posted 16 hours ago On 9/25/2026 at 10:16 PM, theDreamer said: I’ve see people remove the spare tire to use it to carry other items like ... fuel jugs. that's a frikkin' Darwin Award candidate right there !!!!!!!! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now