My Kingdom for a Trailer

xcarguy

Suggest time pressure monitor for your single axle trailer. I'm using tire minder which connects to the valve stem and has replaceable batteries. This will give you an early indication of any tire problems. I have sensors on the tow vehicle as well.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning to grab the wheels with 2 custom straps through each. In other words, grab the wheel, not the tire. But the discussion is moot now. I went to see the dealer yesterday and he had a nice used (almost new condition) Aluma A212 with ramps. It has a 79" X 144" deck and is rated for 3000 lb. I'm about to call him to buy that one and have him install electric brakes.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan

Dan,

Post photos when you get it home . . . preferably with the car on it. :cheers:

You can also contact ATC and have them build you a trailer to spec, cut out the middle man and his/her mark up at the same time.

Bill S.

Well, not totally true. I contacted ATC today and queried them about buying direct. I was informed (and they were very nice) that I would have to purchase through a dealer. :(

Now, Bill, if you have connections with ATC that I don't . . . . Well . . . . I think you should share. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

xcarguy:

You asked for photos. I picked up the trailer yesterday. Yes, that's my Miata shown for scale, and no, it's not the tow vehicle. I bought the Aluma 212 trailer used from Bonander in Bakersfield and had them add proportional electric brakes. I've only towed it empty so far, but it tracks very well on smooth roads and bounces a lot on the rough. Those side rails are not side rails. They are the ramps pinned in place. The short ones are for ATV loading up the sides of the front, and the long ones are for the rear.

8AlumaTrailerSide.jpg

8AlumaTrailerQuarterView.jpg

8AlumaTrailerRear.jpg

Edited by NVP66S
more info

Well, not totally true. I contacted ATC today and queried them about buying direct. I was informed (and they were very nice) that I would have to purchase through a dealer. :(

Now, Bill, if you have connections with ATC that I don't . . . . Well . . . . I think you should share. :rolleyes:

I happened to stop in their manufacturing plant, spec's out a trailer I was thinking of purchasing, they had no problem with giving me pricing, arranging production, and having me pick it up there if I wanted. Perhaps things have changed since 2007, not sure why though.

Bill S.

Bill,

I've called twice since your first mention of being able to buy factory direct. So far, I've not been able to convince ATC of the 'error of their ways'. :(

NVP66S,

Good looking trailer. Are You sure you're not towing with the Miata so you can have the envious choice of deciding which car to drive once at the track? :D

NVP66S,

Good looking trailer. Are You sure you're not towing with the Miata so you can have the envious choice of deciding which car to drive once at the track? :D

Nah, this is the car intended to go onto the trailer. I'm now 5 weeks into the build. The tow vehicle is a Pontiac Vibe, AKA Toyota Matrix. Even with the optional 180 HP engine, it's kinda light for that duty. And, yes, I have been following the thread on tow ratings of cars. Interesting thread, that.

7FrontBrakeCaliperSmall.jpg

Nah, this is the car intended to go onto the trailer. I'm now 5 weeks into the build. The tow vehicle is a Pontiac Vibe, AKA Toyota Matrix. Even with the optional 180 HP engine, it's kinda light for that duty. And, yes, I have been following the thread on tow ratings of cars. Interesting thread, that.

Your build is coming along nicely! :smash: Do you have a build file hidden somewhere so onlookers and prospective Seven owners can enjoy?

No log, but I have a thread going on the Westfield Sports Car Club site. Here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105056-dans-mazda-seiw-build/

I didn't start a build thread on this site partially because it's mostly Caterhams/Stalkers/WCMs and mostly drivers rather than builders. I don't have a lot to talk about *driving* the car as it ain't on the road yet. And the time factor. I'm playing hookey this morning on the net instead of working on my build.

No log, but I have a thread going on the Westfield Sports Car Club site. Here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105056-dans-mazda-seiw-build/

I didn't start a build thread on this site partially because it's mostly Caterhams/Stalkers/WCMs and mostly drivers rather than builders. I don't have a lot to talk about *driving* the car as it ain't on the road yet. And the time factor. I'm playing hookey this morning on the net instead of working on my build.

NVP66S,

Looking over your build file, I'd say you have quite a bit to share and contribute. Have you seen Jackel's Project Beatress 99 Birkin build file with its 30K-plus hits?

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6935

Besides, now you got some s'plain'n to do about your use of wooden cams :jester: and how you talked your wife into letting you use the oven for powder coat. :cheers:

Edited by xcarguy

Just rolled thru your thread, your doing great work...

So a friend of mine tells me over the weekend that I should also consider looking at ramps trucks instead of the old truck/Montrose combo. Build an enclosure over the back and get it retitled as an RV to keep away from any CDL issues.

Not quite on topic but following the link and reading the 35 pages I have to ask...

What became of Jackal's project?

Was like reading through a great book only to find that some a**hole ripped out the last chapter!

After spending much time reading this thread, I took the plunge and bought a slightly used trailer. Probably a little overkill for my needs, but it was far too nice to resist.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/c5dawg/IMG_20140312_105637_437_zps614f719a.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/c5dawg/IMG_20140312_171224_308_zpsf46d6d6c.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/c5dawg/IMG_20140312_105821_735_zps318384e3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/c5dawg/IMG_20140312_171125_762_zps27fcc9c2.jpg

Trailer Exterior.jpg

Trailer Interior.jpg

Trailer Exterior 2.jpg

Trailer Interior 3.jpg

Edited by lucky dawg

After spending much time reading this thread, I took the plunge and bought a slightly used trailer. Probably a little overkill for my needs, but it was far too nice to resist.

Very nice trailer. :iagree: But, your killing me, dawg . . . . . the pressure's on. :svengo: . . . . :cheers:

Very nice trailer. :iagree: But, your killing me, dawg . . . . . the pressure's on. :svengo: . . . . :cheers:

Sorry for upping the ante a little bit more. I was kind of surprised that wife liked it and was okay with the budget bust. Good luck.