New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

• 3 weeks later...

After all my breakdowns decided to get myself a set of rechargeable LED road flare lights. Thought they were gimmicky compared to flares but when I thought about it, they give a lot of utility for what they are and aren't one time use

As another safety item got myself an Element 50 extinguisher to add to the one I keep in the back. This one fits nicely in the cabin and is very light 

Edited by Vovchandr

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to testing my replacement alternator that got me stranded.

It also came up dead in bench testing even though I tested it before I put it in.

Returned it and ordered a brand new unit instead of remanufactured this time. Lady behind the counter felt bad for me and gave me a 35% discount to make the new unit just over $200 instead of $100 for old unit. Rockauto would likely be cheaper but with things that might need return it's much easier to deal with a boxstore.

Currently pending arrival and install.

Glad this didn't happen at NJMP...

Edited by Vovchandr

Find a local shop.

There is an AutoElectric guy near me who rebuilds alternators & starters.  He’s repaired my tractor alternator (new-replacement units were unobtanium) as well as the 7’s alternator when one of the diode’s failed.  All very affordably too. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wemtd said:

Find a local shop.

There is an AutoElectric guy near me who rebuilds alternators & starters.  He’s repaired my tractor alternator (new-replacement units were unobtanium) as well as the 7’s alternator when one of the diode’s failed.  All very affordably too. 

Not a bad idea. I completely forgot that there is a local place that does rebuilds that I used to send people to back in the day when I worked in autoparts. Not sure what their price would be. Maybe I'll rebuild the original as a backup

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

Not a bad idea. I completely forgot that there is a local place that does rebuilds that I used to send people to back in the day when I worked in autoparts. Not sure what their price would be. Maybe I'll rebuild the original as a backup

Just dropped it off at a rebuilt place. About $140 for a rebuild of the original. I was impressed because the guy instantly knew what motor it was from upon seeing it.

Edited by Vovchandr

1 hour ago, Vovchandr said:

Just dropped it off at a rebuilt place. About $140 for a rebuild of the original. I was impressed because the guy instantly knew what motor it was from upon seeing it.

Fantastic price, plus if there are any issues you know where to find him.

With the other "entertainment" thread dead time to go back to regularly scheduled programming. 

I think I've crossed the line and gone too far.. got a new lanyard for my work. It's actually VERY well made which is surprising. Heavy metals, CF accents and good silky material 

Unfortunately the Mrs can't take me seriously anymore, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make 

PXL_20240207_235102315.MP.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Been a little quiet here so I have some news to report. 

I have finally gotten my hands on the unobtanium (no that's not getting my motor issues solved, that's another mission impossible all together)

Today arrived 6 SLR wheels with rolled edges as my back up track wheels (no more need for my 15s! Hence the sale thread)

PXL_20240419_011923559.jpg

PXL_20240419_013231175.thumb.jpg.eecf917ef4f1b3697804f54af38ad42d.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

And the true creme de la creme :classic_love: :cheers2:

Impossible to find. Double so stateside. For some reason most US SLRs don't have the center caps. Very very few do. I assume they either get lost or broken

PXL_20240419_013059772.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Like 2

Vlad,

I used some Mothers Aluminum wheel polish and a foam buffer that fits in a drill to clean up my wheels.  Worked well.  They'll clean up but may take a while.

Where did you find them?

Jim

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FE07 said:

Vlad,

I used some Mothers Aluminum wheel polish and a foam buffer that fits in a drill to clean up my wheels.  Worked well.  They'll clean up but may take a while.

Where did you find them?

Jim

Yeah I plan on taking my time cleaning them up for a while once I find the time. 

Found them in the UK on the FB group. I think I found an old listing that nobody was a buyer for.

Seller didn't want to ship to states but was willing to drop them off with Chris at Redline. After talking to Chris and him being no stranger to shipping big boxes to me he was willing to act as a passthrough to box and ship them with a few other small things I needed from him. 

When they arrived the boxes were so small and light I genuinely didn't know what was in them at first. 

Debated on shipping with tires for safety of handling and some use but the tires were old and cost outweighs the limited benefit. 

Very hard to find these SLR wheels with the updated rolled edge beads in decent condition with a seller willing to ship here AND with center caps. I'm quite happy. 

Some of the only other center caps wheels I've seen were on a yellow BaT car that was a member here from FL. I posted on BaT that I want the wheels and then found them on YouTube and posted there that I want the wheels (they were a spare set) and had no feedback from them. 

The one member making center caps himself stopped responding too. Not sure what happened there. 

Edited by Vovchandr