Can register in California - YAY!

TomSalter

I still don't know what they expect on cars with without an intake manifold/plenum (ie direct to head throttle bodies). My dry sumped duratec on roller barrels has no way to implement a pcv that I am aware of. Hopefully just routing the oil breather from the tank to the airbox will be adequate.

Tom. —

No, it will not work great.  It will fail.

The PCV valve is to be be connected to the intake manifold  NOT to the airfilter in any way.  If you use that Caterham tube connect it to crankcase.  I want you to pass this test because if you do it will prove that there is no problem with BAR or CARB, and I can confidently order my kit.

Edited by awatkins

Great!  By the way, one more detail that might ensure you sail through: some people have said their referee wanted to see “PCV” hose used for that connection.  Sounds strange but they do sell it at parts stores and it would be a form of insurance:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/prestone/belts-hoses/hoses/bulk-hose/anti-smog-pcv-hose/81d6b29f64f9/prestone-crankcase-vent-hose/prs1/cv1132?pos=2

So here's the latest in my saga.  A month ago, after sixteen months, I was approved for an appointment with the smog referee.  I made the appointment and the soonest I could get in was today.  I thought I could get by for a PCV requirement by running a hose with a PCV valve from the breather in the block to the backside of one of the Weber air cleaners.  Nope!  Didn't happen.  It has to be a system that pulls fumes into the intake manifold and vents it back into the engine.  So now,  decision time.  Do I sell it out of California or figure a way to fashion a PCV system on a car that never had one without spending a fortune?  1700 Super Sprint, crossflow.

11 minutes ago, Heloman said:

So here's the latest in my saga.  A month ago, after sixteen months, I was approved for an appointment with the smog referee.  I made the appointment and the soonest I could get in was today.  I thought I could get by for a PCV requirement by running a hose with a PCV valve from the breather in the block to the backside of one of the Weber air cleaners.  Nope!  Didn't happen.  It has to be a system that pulls fumes into the intake manifold and vents it back into the engine.  So now,  decision time.  Do I sell it out of California or figure a way to fashion a PCV system on a car that never had one without spending a fortune?  1700 Super Sprint, crossflow.

I feel like it's time for you to get a Montana plate..

You just need to run a hose from either the crankcase vent on the side of the block or the valve cover to a barbed fitting installed somewhere in the air filter housing, SB100 does not require smog compliance. That is one of the major advantages of the rules.

papak --

1. SB100 absolutely does require any smog equipment that applies to the engine as of the year of the engine or year of the body, whichever the owner chose.  California cars all had PCVs since 1964.
  2. Even so, what anyone thinks SB100 specifies is irrelevant.  What the Referee wants is the only thing that matters.  Many referees, if not all, require an actual PCV system.
  3. What you are describing is what Heloman did, and it flunked.
  4. What he needs to do is what is shown in this picture:

image.jpeg.5dd06c2b1b1343046cb82d442c6d81f2.jpeg

6 hours ago, awatkins said:

papak --

1. SB100 absolutely does require any smog equipment that applies to the engine as of the year of the engine or year of the body, whichever the owner chose.  California cars all had PCVs since 1964.
  2. Even so, what anyone thinks SB100 specifies is irrelevant.  What the Referee wants is the only thing that matters.  Many referees, if not all, require an actual PCV system.
  3. What you are describing is what Heloman did, and it flunked.
  4. What he needs to do is what is shown in this picture:

image.jpeg.5dd06c2b1b1343046cb82d442c6d81f2.jpeg

You are certainly correct, AWATKINS.  And thank you for the simplified diagram.  Exactly what my referee said. He said I could take a hose from the breather in the block run it through a PCV valve into the intake manifold.  He also said I would then have to run a hose from the oil filler cap or valve cover to the air cleaner using a non vented cap.   My big problem is the intake manifolds have no provisions  to take vacuum for a PVC system.  Will be contacting various Weber experts today.  As mentioned what I had was what  papak mentioned.

• 2 months later...
  • TomSalter changed the title to Can register in California - YAY!
1 hour ago, TomSalter said:

I think there's a chance you'll pass. He was very brief, I told him I had a closed PCV system, he didn't look very closely, and then went off and did the paperwork.

And Sean - done! :-)

Yeah, I'm hoping for a less than detailed inspector... 

27 minutes ago, awatkins said:

Tom, et al,

Which referee station did you or are you going to use?

I'm going to Alameda.

Hi All,

Like Tom Salter I had my referee appointment today and it was quick and smooth.  I got there early but my appointment was for 8:25 and I was done by 8:40.  Just a minimal inspection and I was on my way with paperwork and a sticker.  Then to DMV where I turned in all my paperwork and left with plates and registration.  That took about 15 minutes.  It's been a year and a half journey because of an out of state purchase, Covid and dealing with the BAR.  But it's all over now.  Thanks to all of you who offered some good informnation and encouragement.  Much appreciated.  Cheers!

Dann

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG